C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Buyer advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 02:43 AM
nomeansyes
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Buyer advice needed

WHAT DO I LOOK FOR???

What is uniqiue to C2 corvettes or a'65 in particular? What's good, what's bad? I'm a relative newbie to the forum, but a chevy guy from way back, going to look at a '65 coupe this Sunday.

Here's what I know about the car (subject to confirmation):
  • '65 coupe, mostly original
  • '66 factory replacement 327-300 engine
  • compression measured between 205 and 199 across all cylinders
  • est. 90K miles
  • less than 500 miles/yr for the past 5 yrs
  • 4 spd manual trans
  • same owner last owner 35+ yrs
  • Silver paint in 1975 (was white)
  • left ft fender & center section in front of hood repaired at that time
  • red vinyl interior
  • manual steering/brakes/windows
  • A/C (new compressor 3 yrs ago)
  • Holley carb (original carter included)
  • FM on original radio not working
  • Tach not working
  • Odometer not working
  • Some dash lights not working
  • replacement Copper radiotor
  • all new brakes 1 month ago - pads & calipers, rotors turned
  • new differential & trans seals 2 yrs ago
  • clutch & t/o brg 4 yrs ago
  • Frame solid, no rust
  • asking $40K

Thanks, Dave

Last edited by nomeansyes; 08-11-2006 at 02:46 AM.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:00 AM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is high for a 300hp coupe.

That is very high for a NOM coupe with wrong color, wrong radiator, and the radio, tach, spedo not working.

Hit hard in the front. Is the frame strait?

Looks like a $25000 car to me.

Just my .02
Old 08-11-2006, 07:40 AM
tentuna
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Here is what I gather from you post:
NOM engine, balance of drive train not known
Compression sounds high for a 327/300, normal is 170-180, but the spead you noted sounds good
General condition not stated
Options not stated, is A/C original?
Is the balance of the car original, what restoration needs to be done?
Interior, paint, mechanical
Are you looking for a car to drive or canidate for an NCRS restoration
Lastly I would recommend you contact the NCRS chapter and have a Corvette guy go over the car. There are a lot of things a Chevy guy may miss on these old beauty's
In conclusion, do your homework for that price I am sure other people are not breaking down his door to buy the car
Old 08-11-2006, 07:49 AM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

I know that midyear cars are going up in price, but it does sound a little hi. You may want to look around a little more. Try this corvette site the are alot of midyear cars for sale.
http://www.usedcorvettesforsale.com/
Old 08-11-2006, 03:13 PM
nomeansyes
Instructor

Originally Posted by knight37128

That is high for a 300hp coupe.
That is very high for a NOM coupe with wrong color, wrong radiator, and the radio, tach, spedo not working.
Hit hard in the front. Is the frame strait?
Looks like a $25000 car to me.

Just my .02
I appreciate your .02. I thought the price was a bit high too, but the car is local so I figure I should take a look.

Allegedly the car was backed into and the damage was to the fender and center fiberglass sections only. No frame damage, no rust.

A $25000 car? There are not many C2's, other than substantial projects, I see for $25K. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to pay any more than I have to, but is this a realistic number? I understand that the non-originality and the non-operational items take away form the value, but I want understand what I can expect for a given price range in today's market.

I will take some photos and repost if it remains to be of interest after I see it. Thanks for the feedback.
Dave
Old 08-11-2006, 03:21 PM
Johns_65Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I paid 30K for mine about 5 months ago. Drove to Oregon from Southern Ca. to pick it up. It has a NOM 350, trans not original (has a TKO 5 speed now though), color not original (supposed to be red), interior color not original (also supposed to be red), but has leather seats, left front fender and center section replaced also, new soft top, but no hard top. Runs good, and looks good, has no rust at all (originally a southern ca. car) but is basically a driver.
Hope this gives you an idea of what to look for price wise.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:27 PM
nomeansyes
Instructor

Originally Posted by tentuna
Here is what I gather from you post:
NOM engine, balance of drive train not known
Compression sounds high for a 327/300, normal is 170-180, but the spead you noted sounds good
General condition not stated
Options not stated, is A/C original?
Is the balance of the car original, what restoration needs to be done?
Interior, paint, mechanical
Are you looking for a car to drive or canidate for an NCRS restoration
Lastly I would recommend you contact the NCRS chapter and have a Corvette guy go over the car. There are a lot of things a Chevy guy may miss on these old beauty's
In conclusion, do your homework for that price I am sure other people are not breaking down his door to buy the car
All great feedback, Thanks.
As described, the overall condition is very good, well-maintained mechanically, except told the front end bushings need replacement. The A/C is factory, the interior is vy. good, the paint is good.
I'm looking for a driver, more stock than custom, however, NCRS restoration is not my objective. I'm in process of contacting the NCRS chapter for assistance. I am not in a frenzy to buy a car just yet, but I figure that if I look at enough of them and ask enough questions I'll find the right one for me.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 08-11-2006, 03:34 PM
nomeansyes
Instructor

Originally Posted by Johns_65Vette
I paid 30K for mine about 5 months ago. Drove to Oregon from Southern Ca. to pick it up. It has a NOM 350, trans not original (has a TKO 5 speed now though), color not original (supposed to be red), interior color not original (also supposed to be red), but has leather seats, left front fender and center section replaced also, new soft top, but no hard top. Runs good, and looks good, has no rust at all (originally a southern ca. car) but is basically a driver.
Hope this gives you an idea of what to look for price wise.
Good info John. I'm more partial to the coupe, but I have not ruled out the vert. A $30K C2 vette would be great; the search continues. I saw a red driver in Oregon a few months ago but did not have the opportunity to see it before it sold.

Dave
Old 08-11-2006, 03:34 PM
Geek's 65
Burning Brakes

California car, California prices. But $40K is high for what's listed. I would say low to mid $30s with emphasis on the low side. There are things there that you will want to change (copper radiator would be one) and then depending on what you want to do with it the list could be long and distinguished (read expensive). Good luck.

Geek
Old 08-11-2006, 03:36 PM
nomeansyes
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
I know that midyear cars are going up in price, but it does sound a little hi. You may want to look around a little more. Try this corvette site the are alot of midyear cars for sale.
http://www.usedcorvettesforsale.com/
I look at this site regularly. Thanks Mike. I'll know more about the car by Sunday.

Dave
Old 08-11-2006, 03:41 PM
nomeansyes
Instructor

Originally Posted by Geek's 65
California car, California prices. But $40K is high for what's listed. I would say low to mid $30s with emphasis on the low side. There are things there that you will want to change (copper radiator would be one) and then depending on what you want to do with it the list could be long and distinguished (read expensive). Good luck.

Geek
Change the copper radiator to aluminum? Better cooling? What is a good replacement? How much?

Dave
Old 08-11-2006, 04:01 PM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Always a Calif. car ? Educate yourself in the 'birdcage' threads with the pics and where to look. Its a high price, if it needs work. Even the little odds and ends add up quickly. You either buy a car 'as is' and enjoy it. Or dump more money into them like us You will need to add up the buying price and the price of stuff, that you will put into it, to make it what YOU want. Complete new interior, gauges, paint, chrome, etc...
Old 08-11-2006, 04:20 PM
vintagecorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Factory AC adds quite abit to the value of any Mid Year.

oWEN
Old 08-11-2006, 05:32 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by nomeansyes
Change the copper radiator to aluminum? Better cooling? What is a good replacement? How much?

Dave

Better cooling, just under $800 for the one in my 65.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:21 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

As The Grey Ghost has stated... Look out for Birdcaige rust.. Check out the threads on this topic... These C-2's all leaked at one time or another.

If the birdcage has a serious rust problem....the cost to repair can be very very high. There are area's you can peek into to get an idea of the birdcage condition.

The best thing you can do as also mentioned..is to bring a Corvette Person with you to go over the car. If your serious about buying ..$100.00 or so for a Corvette inspector can save you 30K worth of greef

Good Luck with the Hunt..

Old 08-11-2006, 07:10 PM
Glenn's 67 BB Vert
Melting Slicks

Not to hijack but did the verts have the same problem with rust with the c-2's???? just wondering Thanks Glenn
Old 08-11-2006, 07:14 PM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Yep.

Originally Posted by Glenn's 58 vette
Not to hijack but did the verts have the same problem with rust with the c-2's???? just wondering Thanks Glenn

Get notified of new replies

To Buyer advice needed

Old 08-11-2006, 07:50 PM
nomeansyes
Instructor

Originally Posted by Viet Nam Vett
As The Grey Ghost has stated... Look out for Birdcaige rust.. Check out the threads on this topic... These C-2's all leaked at one time or another.

If the birdcage has a serious rust problem....the cost to repair can be very very high. There are area's you can peek into to get an idea of the birdcage condition.

The best thing you can do as also mentioned..is to bring a Corvette Person with you to go over the car. If your serious about buying ..$100.00 or so for a Corvette inspector can save you 30K worth of greef

Good Luck with the Hunt..

I have an NCRS Tech advisor lined up to check it out with me. He owns a '66 and has had 2 '65s in the past. Thanks for the advice. I've dealt with major rust on a 67 Malibu, definitely not something I want to do again!

Will keep you posted with the results of the inspection.
Dave
Old 08-11-2006, 08:04 PM
Jack60
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

I appreciate your .02. I thought the price was a bit high too, but the car is local so I figure I should take a look.

Allegedly the car was backed into and the damage was to the fender and center fiberglass sections only. No frame damage, no rust.

A $25000 car? There are not many C2's, other than substantial projects, I see for $25K. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to pay any more than I have to, but is this a realistic number? I understand that the non-originality and the non-operational items take away form the value, but I want understand what I can expect for a given price range in today's market.

I will take some photos and repost if it remains to be of interest after I see it. Thanks for the feedback.
Dave
25k is low, you would be putting 15-20k in to it to get a driver.
Spend 30-35k for a driver and you will still put money into it. They all need something or you will want to change or add something.
I bought from a dealer {paid to much}, got a driver,new paint,interior,rag top. Good trim, chrome, all gauges work, built 350 and new brake job.
Now what didn't work wipers, emergency brake, never checked. Did not know about this forum, so your doing better then me.
40k is high.........
Old 08-11-2006, 09:14 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

I have an NCRS Tech advisor lined up to check it out with me. He owns a '66 and has had 2 '65s in the past. Thanks for the advice. I've dealt with major rust on a 67 Malibu, definitely not something I want to do again!

Will keep you posted with the results of the inspection.
Dave
Best Thing You can Do... Smart Man..

Quick Reply: Buyer advice needed