C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom intake airbridge, DIY

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 02:31 PM
Abomination
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom intake airbridge, DIY

There was a thread started by spinmonster on why nobody had started making airbridges for the C6 like they had for every other car ever make (corvette and otherwise) after 3 years in the model run.

I had actually been thinking the same thing and his thread prompted me to do something about it. Someone here had posted the link to this company a few months ago http://www.hightempsilicone.com

I checked out thier website and after some measurements from spin on the Outside diameter of the MAF and TB (and some of my own for my vararam) I placed an order for half a dozen different reducers and couplers from them. I bought the 4 ply silicone as its heat and chemical resistant upto 500 degrees.

What I ended up using (and reccomend if you have a vararam with TB spacer) is 2 of the 3.5 - 4" transition reducer. One thing I like is they make them in 3 colors. Black, blue and red.

Removing the old ducting was a snap and you just pull out the hookup for the air temp sensor with a pair of pliers. I then drilled a hole in the outside of one of the couplers and inserted it after cleaning it up well.

One problem I ran into was that the couplers were either 1/8" to big or 1/8" to small for exactly what I needed. So taking the advice from a rep at high temp silicone I ordered them 1/8" small and boiled them to soften them up and installed them instantly. Took some elbow grease but the seal is perfect.

Well enough of that here are some pictures....

Been running this for over 3 weeks now and had it tuned this way about 2 weeks ago. No problems what so ever, no CEL.

I paid 26.75 for each of the blue reducers I ended up using. They had clamps for sale to but they were very expensive and I picked up 4 for 5 bucks at the local walmart.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:38 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Default Diy Intake

INSTANT VARARAM!!Very good!
Old 08-11-2006, 09:29 AM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

ABOMINATION.........Nice photos , love the stripes .........
The Dog
Old 11-10-2006, 10:23 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by StrayDog
ABOMINATION.........Nice photos , love the stripes .........

I will order the same as you suggested as I also have the Vararam with the spacer and the stock parts look like crap with that set-up!
Old 11-10-2006, 04:06 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Default stripes-looking good...

OK,who did the stripes???They are painted on,right?
Old 11-10-2006, 07:12 PM
GER42
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

What type paint did you use on the vararam intake? Did you paint the lower section also.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:46 AM
stabori
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

Were you the C6 in the Grand sport section at Carlisle?
Great looking car.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:53 AM
hayseed51
Racer

Hey Dave - Thanks for the research and the great review. Maybe you could clarify a couple of points.

I see you have the spacer from Vararam. I too, have been enjoying their CAI, but without the spacer. Will I end up a little short on plumbing without the spacer? Maybe now is the time to go ahead and add it.

Is it the Vararam neck that is the most oversized for 4"? It doesn't appear TB end will be too bad.

Also, I need to tap in a 1/8" hole somewhere between MAF and TB for Alky inj. nozzle. Think there's enough tail on the MAF or front of TB assy.?

FWIW: I have used those bar type clamps they show, and have found them to be worth the $, when you have critical joints to seal.

Thanks again, Dick
Old 11-15-2006, 04:12 PM
openhelix
Burning Brakes

Where did you get the FRC/intake cover? It looks great! all one piece?
Old 11-17-2006, 05:37 PM
Abomination
Burning Brakes

Sorry I didn't reply sooner but I didn't even see the posts. Thanks for all the compliments about the car itself, they are not painted on they are vinyl. Nobody can tell unless you actually touch the car though. Lets me change my mind if I want.

The paint on the vararam is touch up paint I bought in 2 rattle cans matching the exterior of the car. I used plastic prep and then primer then 2-3 coats of blue. Yes I painted the top and bottom.

No I wasn't at Carlisle but thanks for the compliment.

Yes, without the spacer you would be short. It needs to be added or a similar one for this to work. Yeah, the vararam size is over sized, the TB side slips on very easy. I doubt you would have a problem for the alk injector. I would tap the TB itself and put it there (in the rear of course). As for the clamps. I purchased them but the looked funny installed and had very little room for error on sizing up or down. In the end I used good old dryer duct clamps and they have been on for 3 months now without budging and inch.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:45 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Good job.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:54 AM
Guitarstar
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice Job, I would like to do that on mine.

Get notified of new replies

To Custom intake airbridge, DIY

Quick Reply: Custom intake airbridge, DIY