Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Mothers wheel cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 01:48 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mothers wheel cleaner

After reading a post recently about Mothers wheel cleaner I went out and bought 2 bottles. Here's a quick review with a few pictures

Brand - Mothers Wheel Mist "All Wheel" cleaner for all finishes

I purchased at Sam's club. There were two 24 oz bottles in the pack. Price was 4.81 which comes out to about 2.40 a bottle

Claim/statement on bottle -

"Simply spray it on and hose it off. Leaves wheels looking clean and like new again.

Directions -

1. work with a cool, dry surface.

2. Spray Mothers wheel mist freely on the surface to be cleaned

3. Allow foaming action to work for one to two minutes

4. Rinse off thoroughly with a strong spray of water

5. Dry wheels with a soft terry cloth or microfiber towl.

* Note - A second application or agitation of stubborn areas with a soft brush may be necessary on extremely dirty surfaces.

I tried the wheel cleaner on my F-150 daily driver first. The wheels were fairly dirty since it's my daily driver as you can tell from the picture below.

I applied the wheel cleaner using a medium coat and let it soak for about 2-3 minutes per rim.

I rinsed each rim off with a direct spray of water from the hose but my pressure is reduced since I'm using a CR Spotless DI system.

I let them air dry to see how clean the spray actually got them.

Here's the results

Just a few side notes - I did notice a pretty strong chemical odor and while spraying it on one of the rims I inhaled some of it which made it hard for me to breath. I made sure to leave plenty of distance from my face and the rest of the wheels after that.

In *my* opinion, it's one of the better over the counter wheel cleaners I have used in a long time. It does what it claims and for the price of 2.40 a bottle it was a great deal

Last edited by mrosa65; 08-10-2006 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:08 PM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'08-'09-'10-'13-'14

I love this stuff on my BMW rims. Has made owning BMW's a little more enjoyable. Sure wish BMW would go to different brake pads. The brake dust in just 50-100 miles is unbelievable.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:56 PM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey great writeup! Thank you!
I had a similar GREAT experience with Poorboy's wheel cleaner, and still love it. However there is an interesting drawback to that cleaner -- it KEEPS CLOGGING MY SPRAY BOTTLES !!! Over and over, I have to throw the spray bottle away and use a new sprayer. That's a bit of a nuisance.

Great to know there's another true spray rinse product out there.

Also - Poorboys does STAIN uncoated aluminum. Your wheels look like that type, yet Mothers worked well with no staining? Could be that a great use for Mothers is uncoated aluminum.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:41 AM
Prosecutor
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrosa65
Just a few side notes - I did notice a pretty strong chemical odor and while spraying it on one of the rims I inhaled some of it which made it hard for me to breath. I made sure to leave plenty of distance from my face and the rest of the wheels after that.

In *my* opinion, it's one of the better over the counter wheel cleaners I have used in a long time. It does what it claims and for the price of 2.40 a bottle it was a great deal
I noticed the strong chemical fume too. It sort of scared me...as I got a good mouth full. I thought I had burned my nose hair out. I hold my breath while I spray that stuff; however, it is not a problem if you know to do that.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:43 AM
Prosecutor
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Crusher
I love this stuff on my BMW rims. Has made owning BMW's a little more enjoyable. Sure wish BMW would go to different brake pads. The brake dust in just 50-100 miles is unbelievable.

I remember cleaning the wheels on my 1985 735i...back in high school. It took a long damned time to wash those "complicted' wheels. It was like trying to shine a lump of charcoal.

This stuff would have been great.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:46 AM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'11-'12

Originally Posted by bugman
Hey great writeup! Thank you!
I had a similar GREAT experience with Poorboy's wheel cleaner, and still love it. However there is an interesting drawback to that cleaner -- it KEEPS CLOGGING MY SPRAY BOTTLES !!! Over and over, I have to throw the spray bottle away and use a new sprayer. That's a bit of a nuisance.

Great to know there's another true spray rinse product out there.

Also - Poorboys does STAIN uncoated aluminum. Your wheels look like that type, yet Mothers worked well with no staining? Could be that a great use for Mothers is uncoated aluminum.
Thanks for the write up, Ive been looking for a good OTC wheel cleaner that is safe and works well.

Bugman,

It doesnt clog the sprayer, the acid destroys the plastic plunger. The only way around it with PB is to remove the sprayer and pump some clean water through it when you are done. Steve also sells a chemical resistant foaming nozzle that Ive been able to use for at least a year now that hasnt failed yet. For most wheels that are in decent shape, Ive found that a 2:1 or 3:1 dilution works great with SNR. The wheels still come out clean, less danger to you skin etc, and the spray heads last longer.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:39 PM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigster05
Bugman,

It doesnt clog the sprayer, the acid destroys the plastic plunger. ... remove the sprayer and pump some clean water through it when you are done.
yes, that makes sense - and I'm just too lazy and forgetful to rinse out the nozzle when I'm done.

Originally Posted by Craigster05
Steve also sells a chemical resistant foaming nozzle

Hey - that sounds pretty cool. Who is Steve?

Get notified of new replies

To Mothers wheel cleaner

Quick Reply: Mothers wheel cleaner