Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C6 stereo installs-where's all the pics!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 11:33 AM
MAGRED2001VETTE
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C6 stereo installs-where's all the pics!

Lets see some pics from those who have custom stereos in their C6! These cars have been out for 2 years and VERY FEW people seem to have any systems or pics.....

Yes, I am very familiar with the "search" feature/"audio" section/and FAQ C6 stereo, I'd say more so than 99% of the members on here. And yet very little is posted on custom C6 systems WITH PICS compared to all the C5 write-ups. If you have any....now is your time to shine! POST PICS UP OF YOUR CUSTOM SETUPS for all to see.

Most nice installs follow the "big money" and I'd specuate there are many C6 owners who have not got around to posting there work yet

Last edited by MAGRED2001VETTE; 07-31-2006 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:53 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by MAGRED2001VETTE
Lets see some pics from those who have custom stereos in their C6! These cars have been out for 2 years and VERY FEW people seem to have any systems or pics.....
Have you looked here?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

I've seen more than a few pics of systems.

I will be re-doing my audio system in about 2 weeks. I will be taking lots of pics, though my goal is when it's finished it will be pretty stealth as I'm keeping the stock NAV head. Won't make for alot of oohs & ahhs pics but should sound a heck of a lot better.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:45 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Also check the links in the C6 FAQ sticky.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:50 PM
thatdood
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully Manny (MannyOlivarez03) see's this thread and can re-post his pics. I was lucky enough to see it in person Sunday night at the local GTG . Not only was the fabrication top notch but the sound quality was a great as well. I'm very picky about car audio and I was very impressed!

Old 07-31-2006, 01:52 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

It could be that it is too much trouble to change the stereo in the C-6 without having problems and having to reprogram computers to recognize new stereo
Old 07-31-2006, 02:19 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by LS WON
It could be that it is too much trouble to change the stereo in the C-6 without having problems and having to reprogram computers to recognize new stereo
Nope, lots of folks changing out the stereo. The system is pretty friendly for upgrading. Big holes in the doors, easily available line level output from stock head units, etc. The only hassle if you decide to change out the stock head unit is you need to address the issue of warning chimes and signal alerts. There's a $100 unit (Metra VT-GMOS-04) that can take care of that.

The computer doesn't care about the radio except if you have NAV in a 3LT and remove the stock head the HUD will obviously not be able to show NAV instructions.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:26 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TheKomoman
Nope, lots of folks changing out the stereo. The system is pretty friendly for upgrading. Big holes in the doors, easily available line level output from stock head units, etc. The only hassle if you decide to change out the stock head unit is you need to address the issue of warning chimes and signal alerts. There's a $100 unit (Metra VT-GMOS-04) that can take care of that.

The computer doesn't care about the radio except if you have NAV in a 3LT and remove the stock head the HUD will obviously not be able to show NAV instructions.
If this is so and you are correct then this is great news but I will have to find a good installer who knows how to work on C-6 Corvettes plus I believe you still have to get the stereo programmed or deprogrammed from dealership??
Yes the head unit would be changed because I want better radio reception unless it is the antenna in the tail light that is causing poor reception. But I like the feature on the factory unit the auto volume where it gets louder to overcome the noise and when it gets quiet the volumne automatically lowers itself. I don't know if many aftermarket stereo head units have this feature.
Plus Need more power to get over road noise and when top is removed.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:27 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

What warning chimes? You mean the RDS feature or the traffic search feature? I don't know what the Metra VT-GMOS-04 is or what it is suppose to do.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:29 PM
Zuntov
Drifting

The Audio Forum is a great source for installation information.

I'll be replacing my base unit next week with an Alpine 9857. Nothing fancy but I want the Ipod interface and Sirrius.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:35 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Zuntov
The Audio Forum is a great source for installation information.

I'll be replacing my base unit next week with an Alpine 9857. Nothing fancy but I want the Ipod interface and Sirrius.
I did go into the Audio section of this forum no information at all
Old 07-31-2006, 02:42 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

What warning chimes? You mean the RDS feature or the traffic search feature? I don't know what the Metra VT-GMOS-04 is or what it is suppose to do.
The warning chimes are things like door open, seatbelt unbuckled, FOB left in car (kinda important in these cars!!!) etc and included in this group of sounds are turn signal indicators. The Metra unit allows you to plug into the car's factory wiring harness where it will interpret the signals coming from the car and turn them into the chimes which will then be sent along to an aftermarket head unit.

RDS and traffic search are part of the head unit so if those are important to you and you're going to change the head then you should make sure whatever you buy includes those features so you don't lose them.

I don't know anything about FM reception troubles (I'm an XM and CD kinda guy) but I do recall reading more than a few times there was a firmware updates for '05's that help eliminate a static problem - perhaps the same as what you're experiencing? However if the problem is actually in the antenna as opposed to the tuner sensitivity of the head, you'd still be out of luck.

When you went to the audio section, did you see the C6 Audio FAQ stickied at the top? Lots of good thread links in there.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:43 PM
Zuntov
Drifting

I saved a very thorough write up (.pdf) with pics on the installation of Eclipse AVN5435 in a 1SA 2005 Corvette. If you're interested, PM me.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:56 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

The warning chimes are things like door open, seatbelt unbuckled, FOB left in car (kinda important in these cars!!!) etc and included in this group of sounds are turn signal indicators. The Metra unit allows you to plug into the car's factory wiring harness where it will interpret the signals coming from the car and turn them into the chimes which will then be sent along to an aftermarket head unit.

RDS and traffic search are part of the head unit so if those are important to you and you're going to change the head then you should make sure whatever you buy includes those features so you don't lose them.

I don't know anything about FM reception troubles (I'm an XM and CD kinda guy) but I do recall reading more than a few times there was a firmware updates for '05's that help eliminate a static problem - perhaps the same as what you're experiencing? However if the problem is actually in the antenna as opposed to the tuner sensitivity of the head, you'd still be out of luck.

When you went to the audio section, did you see the C6 Audio FAQ stickied at the top? Lots of good thread links in there.
Wow! That sounds like alot of trouble to get oneself into. all of those chimes and warnings. The antenna system I'm surprised no one has come up with a better system to install on C-6.
I like the features of the factory stereo system even the appearance because it has the OEM look. It would be great if I could find a new head unit that had the exact same features as the OEM system that came in the 1SA package. So I don't loose those factory features like auto volume, traffic search and whatever else that maybe a unique feature that is hard to get in aftermarket systems.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:59 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Wow! That sounds like alot of trouble to get oneself into. all of those chimes and warnings. The antenna system I'm surprised no one has come up with a better system to install on C-6.
I like the features of the factory stereo system even the appearance because it has the OEM look. It would be great if I could find a new head unit that had the exact same features as the OEM system that came in the 1SA package. So I don't loose those factory features like auto volume, traffic search and whatever else that maybe a unique feature that is hard to get in aftermarket systems.
The only reason I hear you would need to change the factory stereo would be the FM reception. If you can live with that, then it's very easy to hook in aftermarket amplifiers and speakers to the stock head - this would also maintain the chimes, etc. You'd get improved sound but keep the functionality you like and the stock look. That's what I'm doing with the factory NAV.

The C6 is pretty easy to work on for stereo install. Any competent stereo shop should be able to handle it.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:05 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

The only reason I hear you would need to change the factory stereo would be the FM reception. If you can live with that, then it's very easy to hook in aftermarket amplifiers and speakers to the stock head - this would also maintain the chimes, etc. You'd get improved sound but keep the functionality you like and the stock look. That's what I'm doing with the factory NAV.

The C6 is pretty easy to work on for stereo install. Any competent stereo shop should be able to handle it.
What about installing an antenna that is better than the factory set up in the tail lights?
Old 07-31-2006, 03:09 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

I see what you are saying just upgrade the speakers but I will need more power to get over the road noise especially when the top is off. And don't forget I'm sure some type of antenna system that is better can be installed.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:24 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

I see what you are saying just upgrade the speakers but I will need more power to get over the road noise especially when the top is off. And don't forget I'm sure some type of antenna system that is better can be installed.
If you change the speakers ABSOLUTELY add an aftermarket amp, Bose or not, the stock amps are crap.

I don't know what to tell you re: an aftermarket antenna, never have done that. Have you had the firmware on your radio updated?

Get notified of new replies

To C6 stereo installs-where's all the pics!

Old 07-31-2006, 03:31 PM
MAGRED2001VETTE
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Few questions also:
-does VRUM VRUM make cnc'ed speaker plates for the C6 yet?
-After you use the PAC rca adaptor on the stock HU, can you tie directly into the door speakers from the back of the HU area (cut/splice)? So you do not have to take all the door panels off. Or, is there an in-line amp at each speaker like in the C5 that needs to be by-passed?
Old 07-31-2006, 03:45 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by MAGRED2001VETTE
Few questions also:
-does VRUM VRUM make cnc'ed speaker plates for the C6 yet?
-After you use the PAC rca adaptor on the stock HU, can you tie directly into the door speakers from the back of the HU area (cut/splice)? So you do not have to take all the door panels off. Or, is there an in-line amp at each speaker like in the C5 that needs to be by-passed?
I don't know who VRUM VRUM is so I dunno... but keep your ears open around the forum for news on a CNC'd plate....

Once you use a PAC adapter (that's what I have installed) then you will be getting line level output and will need to use an amplifier. Do NOT use the stock Bose amp if you change the speakers. The amp and speakers are designed for one another and the amp will make good speakers sound like crap. And since the Bose speakers are crap to begin with... no aftermarket amp will help with that.

There's not really a good way to use the existing wires. You'd have to bury an amp in where the stock amp is located (passenger footwell) and that amp is very small, don't know that you'd find a decent aftermarket amp that would work in that space. Then you'd also have to put a crossover into that space in order to feed the separate lows & highs. Basically it's just not worth it, run new wires into the doors from wherever mount the amp. Plenty of space in the door to mount a crossover as well.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:48 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

If you change the speakers ABSOLUTELY add an aftermarket amp, Bose or not, the stock amps are crap.

I don't know what to tell you re: an aftermarket antenna, never have done that. Have you had the firmware on your radio updated?
What is firmware and what would the reason be for me asking the dealer to do this whatever it is?

Quick Reply: C6 stereo installs-where's all the pics!