C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley Street Avenger (falling apart...Pic)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 05:16 PM
Muddywaters
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Holley Street Avenger (falling apart...Pic)

I purchase this Avenger approx 3wks ago. 6-700 miles. This past weekend I was having trouble getting home (cutting out, backfireing, ect, ect) I checked ignition first..all ok. Today, I removed the carb and found this...

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I couldn't believe it!!! It looks like the plating is delaminating or peeling off... I called Summit (tech.) and have on record, one other instance ...ummmm. They are sending another carb. I then called Holley (Tech.) and they have never heard of it!!! Holley also wanted the carb back and would immediately send another. I asked them if any of this debree could hurt the engine as the engine is a fresh rebuild. The Tech indicated no...as the combustion would have desolved any foreign matter. Any advise here??? Thanks Muddy
Old 07-26-2006, 05:38 PM
Bob Onit
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Stop running the Nitro Methane Top Fuel

Actually, everything but the float bowl looks good, except I would imagine it ingested enough garbage to need a complete rebuild

Thats Amazing....

Last edited by Bob Onit; 08-12-2006 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:41 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

That is strange. I have had my 670 SA for about 5 years now and it still seems to be running good. Never seen anything like those pics before.

Did you ever try to seal the gas tank from the inside?? Just curious if it could be something from inside the tank. Its obviously not rust. Sounds like Summit and Holley want to get a look at it and make it right. Good for them.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:44 PM
Bob Onit
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Eddie 70
That is strange. I have had my 670 SA for about 5 years now and it still seems to be running good. Never seen anything like those pics before.
Eddie
I have never stolen a single thing in my life but If I knew your address I would steal you Corvette

Honestly
That is my favorite of all C3's on the forum.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:55 PM
Muddywaters
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Eddie 70

Did you ever try to seal the gas tank from the inside?? Just curious if it could be something from inside the tank. Its obviously not rust. Sounds like Summit and Holley want to get a look at it and make it right. Good for them.
Eddie... no, I did not try and seal the tank..but, I did just go check it again. It looks perfect as it is a brand new tank! Also, its not rust...as you might see in the second pic... of the scale, that is still attached to the inside of the bowel...

Bob: no Nitro in this lover OHHHHH... and in regards to the theft of Eddie's...get in line...lol
Old 07-26-2006, 06:00 PM
Bob Onit
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Muddywaters

Bob: and in regards to the theft of Eddie's...get in line...lol
Damnit!
Old 07-26-2006, 07:10 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Could it be that the plating is not compatible with ethanol? You guys run 10% ethanol in CA, right?
Old 07-26-2006, 07:42 PM
Muddywaters
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by zwede
Could it be that the plating is not compatible with ethanol? You guys run 10% ethanol in CA, right?
Zwede: Not sure about the ethanol, but the Holly Tech knew I was calling from Cali today...and did not mention ethanol...ummmm. Good point though. I'll call them back tomorrow..thanks! Muddy
Old 07-26-2006, 07:48 PM
birdsmith
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Muddywaters, I noticed that you live in Salinas and that the folks in TX etc. are not familiar with the crap that's being dumped into your float bowls.....I'm no chemist but ever since they've gone to this 'reformulated' swill here in CA I have noticed some strange crap in my carbs when not run for awhile, and also that they (Holleys) won't idle the same if the bowls have been allowed to run dry. It seems that there is a hard waxy residue that remains after this stuff dries and it clogs the emulsion tubes in your metering blocks. From the looks of the pic you posted it appears similar to what I've seen, not exactly metallic but still kind of crusty and flaky. Curiously, the QJet on my C3 seems immune to this condition, but I don't know enough about the inner workings of Quadrajets to know exactly why. Does your Vette sit for more than, say, a week at a time??
Old 07-26-2006, 08:03 PM
any4xx
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Wow. To pull you waaay off topic, I just noticed your sidebar. I was born & raised in Salinas. I fled the state a few years back though.

Go Vikings! '77

Back to your regularly-scheduled carburetor problems now...

Tom
Old 07-26-2006, 08:07 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

If I remember correctly Holley pulled those shiney carbs a few years ago because of a problem with that plating. I remember I had a 750 DP 4779S that I sent back because it didn't work properly and the shop told me they couldn't get another shiney one and I would have to get the oringinal DP the 4779C. Now there must be a million or so of those shiney carbs still out there and I doubt anyone selling them threw them away
Old 07-26-2006, 10:09 PM
Muddywaters
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by birdsmith
Muddywaters, I noticed that you live in Salinas and that the folks in TX etc. are not familiar with the crap that's being dumped into your float bowls.....I'm no chemist but ever since they've gone to this 'reformulated' swill here in CA I have noticed some strange crap in my carbs when not run for awhile, and also that they (Holleys) won't idle the same if the bowls have been allowed to run dry. It seems that there is a hard waxy residue that remains after this stuff dries and it clogs the emulsion tubes in your metering blocks. From the looks of the pic you posted it appears similar to what I've seen, not exactly metallic but still kind of crusty and flaky. Curiously, the QJet on my C3 seems immune to this condition, but I don't know enough about the inner workings of Quadrajets to know exactly why. Does your Vette sit for more than, say, a week at a time??
Birdsmith: no waxie build up here...just cyrstalie flakie spots..then right under those spots is where plating is coming off. It looks to me...that the cyristal spots are from whats happening under the plating. Just my o2...The Vette is a fresh rebuild and gets run at least every other day. Not much sitting Thanks!

Tpiini: Born and raised in Salinas??? Kool...well, you know where Prunedale is? or rather Prunetucky??? When ya coming back? smile. If you do, bring a big gun with ya! smile

Motorhead: So your saying Holley pulled the carbs, attempted to fix the issue and then reintroduced them? Needless to say, were talking Summit here...seems if there was an issue Summit would drop them. Advise. and thanks! Muddy
Old 07-26-2006, 10:18 PM
birdsmith
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmmm...maybe reformulated gas causes modern Chinese carburetor metal to corrode....
Old 07-26-2006, 10:26 PM
Muddywaters
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by birdsmith
Hmmmm...maybe reformulated gas causes modern Chinese carburetor metal to corrode....
Well, I certainly hope not...but, I wouldn't be surprized I indicated to the Holley Tech...that when I installed the Summit replacement... (indicating I was still exp. with the jetting) I would let him know (have his name) on how the inside of the bowels were holding up. In actual fact, the guy I was speaking to was some sort of head Tech for the Street Avenger...Muddy

By the way, this carb is only like 3 weeks old...this is not corrosion...this is major reaction of some sort...

Last edited by Muddywaters; 07-26-2006 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:10 PM
marshrat99
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang. I've been running my SA for 3+ years now without any problems. For those of us using the SA's, please keep us posted about what you find out. That really sux.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:13 AM
midyear1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the secondary bowl doing the same thing? And it also looks like the brass plating on the float is being attacked as well , but the brass plated screws holding the float don't seem to be affected , nor do the solid brass parts like the jets.

I'm wondering if the bowl had an etching or cleaning residue that hadn't beeen thoroughly rinsed prior to the plating process , and that caused the plating to fail on that bowl only. That residue may have been sufficient to contaminate the fuel in that bowl to allow it to start stripping off the float plating also? It doesn't seem possible that those two parts with different plated finishes could have both gotten a defective plating process and wind up together in the same carb.

If both bowls are doing this , I suppose it's also possible that the gas station could have somehow gotten a "bad" ethanol mix from some point in the distribution chain , but you would think that other plated parts would be flaking also.

This problem is an all around bizarre and unfortunate little eye-opener. I wonder how many Avenger bowls are going to be inspected this week?
Old 07-27-2006, 11:29 AM
Muddywaters
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by midyear1
Is the secondary bowl doing the same thing? And it also looks like the brass plating on the float is being attacked as well , but the brass plated screws holding the float don't seem to be affected , nor do the solid brass parts like the jets.

I'm wondering if the bowl had an etching or cleaning residue that hadn't beeen thoroughly rinsed prior to the plating process , and that caused the plating to fail on that bowl only. That residue may have been sufficient to contaminate the fuel in that bowl to allow it to start stripping off the float plating also? It doesn't seem possible that those two parts with different plated finishes could have both gotten a defective plating process and wind up together in the same carb.

If both bowls are doing this , I suppose it's also possible that the gas station could have somehow gotten a "bad" ethanol mix from some point in the distribution chain , but you would think that other plated parts would be flaking also.

This problem is an all around bizarre and unfortunate little eye-opener. I wonder how many Avenger bowls are going to be inspected this week?

Midyear1: I did check the secondary bowel... just a slight problem there too, but not nearly as bad as the primary side. For some reason, the secondary side has a black plastic float??? rather than the brass as in the primary side. Is this correct? Needless to say, this is why I posted these pictures...so the guys could check their SA's...

Last edited by Muddywaters; 07-27-2006 at 01:08 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Holley Street Avenger (falling apart...Pic)

Old 07-27-2006, 12:02 PM
kevinator80
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like the heat is off the Demon quality controll issues for a while.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:02 PM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I had rust from my old gas tank that was making it through the filter and settling in the bowl. It formed a white flaky substance all over the carb bowls. Galvanic corrosion? Any chance that's your problem?
Gary
Old 07-27-2006, 01:11 PM
Muddywaters
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kevinator80
Looks like the heat is off the Demon quality controll issues for a while.
I must have missed this...what was the Demon's problem???

Gary's 68: Galvanic corrosion... I think this is exactly whats going on, but...within the Carb!!! Just my O2 cents...

Quick Reply: Holley Street Avenger (falling apart...Pic)