Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 vs. F430 vs. 997TT....*C&D TEST*[mergedx3]

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 11:43 AM
Zlicious
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Z06 vs. F430 vs. 997TT....*C&D TEST*[mergedx3]

The three cars were put to their limits around a race track with some acceleration tests and the Z06 come out on top in almost EVERY performance category.

Oh, the Z06 got third place in its ratings even when it beat the Porsche and Ferrari in every performance category. LOL. Gotta love that... Obviously the cars weren't rated based on thier performance.

Where are the TT guys now that say the TT is quicker? It is almost 1.5 secs SLOWER to 150.. No surprise, though.

Last edited by Zlicious; 07-19-2006 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:48 AM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Zlicious
Does anyone have the new September C&D article? Word is that the three cars were put to their limits around a race track with some acceleration tests and the Z06 come out on top in almost EVERY performance category.

Oh, the Z06 got third place in its ratings even when it beat the Porsche and Ferrari in every performance category. LOL. Gotta love that... Obviously the cars weren't rated based on thier performance.

Someone in an earlier post said they will give us the data tonight. I am looking forward to it. I don't care about what C&D rates us, the bottom line is what were the numbers.

Where did you get that chart from? Where is the rest of the Data?

Last edited by WeaponsGradeTorque; 07-19-2006 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:57 AM
Zlicious
Drifting

Originally Posted by WeaponsGradeTorque
Someone in an earlier post said they will give us the data tonight. I am looking forward to it. I don't care about what C&D rates us, the bottom line is what were the numbers.

Where did you get that chart from? Where is the rest of the Data?
I got this from the Lambo forums. All shown above is what was shown on that site.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:01 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting...

Z06 out-accelerates Porsche... as expected.

Z06 matches or exceeds Porsche's cornering, except for one turn.

Z06 outbrakes Porsche... yet again.

What's wrong with those overpriced Porsches?

Watch the Porsche apologists go to work on this test. That will be REALLY interesting.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 07-19-2006, 12:10 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

I don't think anyone had ever argued the performance value of the Z. That is not the only factor when owning a car, especially if you can afford the TT or 430.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:14 PM
Ryan Bell
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
Interesting...

Z06 out-accelerates Porsche... as expected.

Z06 matches or exceeds Porsche's cornering, except for one turn.

Z06 outbrakes Porsche... yet again.

What's wrong with those overpriced Porsches?

Watch the Porsche apologists go to work on this test. That will be REALLY interesting.

Frank Gonzalez
They're not overpriced. For the last time, it's NOT ALL ABOUT NUMBERS. A car is *WAAAAAAAAAAAY* more than it's numbers.

Myself, along with millions upon millions of other car enthusiasts (just as hardcore as yourself) would INSTANTLY choose a car that's not quite as fast, but has a better driving experience, more prestige, and more character. ...and that's not a "different" choice. That's what MOST hardcore car guys (that aren't ridiculously biased to one brand like way too many people are here) would choose.

I had the opportunity of owning a 1999 Ferrari F355 along with my '03 Z06 for a while. Could the Z06 beat it in a straight line? Sure. 1/4 mile? You bet. The best quarter mile of the F355 was 12.7@113mph. The Z06 turned a 12.3x@117mph. Which would I rather have (money no object)? The Ferrari. Why? It's HOW it turned the numbers. It was more fun to drive, more communicative with the driver, had WAY more appeal, had WAY more character, the engine provided WAY more thrills......and on and on.

This whole "look at the numbers......ok this is the better car" philosophy is the jewel in the inexperienced driver's (or overly biased, ignorantly near-sighted drivers') crown of inexperience.

The 911 Turbo AND the F430 are simply better cars. Ther performance is close, and the rest of the competitors' cars are *WAAAAAAAAAAY* better.

Not hard to figure out why they won.

Is the Z06 a great performance value? ABSOLUTELY. Is it a better car at any price? Not a chance. Not a CHANCE.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:15 PM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

that adds up to last place for the Z06??

c&d is a joke. I give them credit for ringing those cars out, but they need to learn to launch a rwd car. Look at those 0-60 times....and then the rolling 5-60 times... the Z06 is a MONSTER of epic proportions
Old 07-19-2006, 12:22 PM
TetraU
Drifting

I do notice that the F430 numbers are not from the same test. They were from the Aug 2005 test.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:27 PM
TetraU
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ryan Bell
They're not overpriced. For the last time, it's NOT ALL ABOUT NUMBERS. A car is *WAAAAAAAAAAAY* more than it's numbers.
It's HOW it turned the numbers. It was more fun to drive, more communicative with the driver, had WAY more appeal, had WAY more character, the engine provided WAY more thrills......and on and on.
You make me puke. Way more character? How about Snob Factor. It can be argued that they are better cars in your own eyes. But way better? Come on!

About character, how about 1953 and all the history behind the corvette?
Old 07-19-2006, 12:31 PM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TetraU
You make me puke. Way more character? How about Snob Factor. It can be argued that they are better cars in your own eyes. But way better? Come on!

not even worth trying....if he wants to buy 1 F430 for the price of 3 427 Z's....and then get inferior performance straightline or CORNERING...then be my guest. It's obvious who the KING is
Old 07-19-2006, 12:35 PM
Geneus
Le Mans Master

I'm going to call on the entire article...a Z06 for a price as tested $70,940...impossible...where's the market adjusted pricing?

BTW...I still love the way the 430 looks, even though it lacked in the performance.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:37 PM
ErikNM
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 34 Posts

Although there are many factors in choosing what car you want or like better, the only way to compare cars amongst each other is cold hard facts. You take intangibles like being prestigious, better looks, better interior, etc and try to use them to prove why this car is better than the other and it just doesn't work. Obviously the Z06 is the best performer among the cars in the test, but it doesn't make it the "better car". However, just because a Ferrari or Porsche is more expensive and has better looks, interior, refinement, etc doesn't make them the better car either. It's a personal choice.

What I do find odd, though, is in a test like this (where the emphasis is on performance) the Z06 comes in 3rd place when it is clearly the better performer. It's like testing a Suburban or other SUV and showing the leg room, cargo space, head room, etc and giving it low marks because it can't go around some cones faster than 50mph.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:55 PM
C6USA
Pro

Originally Posted by Ryan Bell
Some people will never get it..
Old 07-19-2006, 12:56 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

This is going downhill fast...
Old 07-19-2006, 12:59 PM
ALMS21
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by lager99
This is going downhill fast...

I predict no less than 10-12 more posts and the hairdresser car comments start from a certain somebody.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:04 PM
KILR-RYD
Drifting

No suprise there in the Z06 performance, but I can tell that they buggers didnt know how to handle the ferrari, I am sure someone with more ferrari exp on a track would pull better numbers than that..but still not close to the Z06 at all, the porsche was not all that much slower, if i see correctly up until 100 and may be into the 125 range the TT would be quicker..as the the track i dont know..

also was this TT triptonic or manual? but i am assuming it was the trip since the performance from 0-60 was increadible..

If i were given a choice of owning a 997 TT + Z06 for my garage as oppose to the F430, then i would still pick the F430..its just more than numbers at times..and it would be quick enough in most areas..plus the times they have posted in straight line for this car have been beaten many times..these were not same day numbers..so who cares..but the F430 is GOD in terms of overall car..Z06 is an angel along with the TT...

Last edited by KILR-RYD; 07-19-2006 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:06 PM
C6USA
Pro

It's not snob factor it's personal preference.
http://www.dpccars.com/car-movies/07...he997Turbo.htm

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 vs. F430 vs. 997TT....*C&D TEST*[mergedx3]

Old 07-19-2006, 01:11 PM
RedOnRed1995
Racer

Ryan,

Don't worry about tetraU, he doens't have experience with either car. Thanks for the write up, it was interesting to read your Ferrari vs. Z06 comparison.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:17 PM
The DBK
Melting Slicks

Ever driven an F430? There's a reason it's universally lauded as the most exciting, most exhilirating, most telepathically communicative car on earth. It's not snobby in the least to say an F430 is way better than a C6 Z06. For christ sakes, the car cost almost 150k more, it damn well ought to be better!

There is no doubt the Z06 will utterly smash an F430 in many statistical performance categories, but you're doing yourself a disservice as a car freak if you don't understand the reasons it is the better overall car. Performance per dollar the Z06 simply cannot be beat and if you're only objective is to have the faster car it is the surefire winner, but money no object really tell me which car you'd rather have (having driven both)....
Old 07-19-2006, 01:19 PM
The DBK
Melting Slicks

P.S did anybody else notice the Z and 997 TT have almost the exact opposite numbers, one having 505 and 470, the other 480 and 502? Guess that nullifies the old "horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" argument

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 vs. F430 vs. 997TT....*C&D TEST*[mergedx3]