C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Redline Water Wetter, IT WORKS!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 08:11 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Redline Water Wetter, IT WORKS!

I added some Redline Water Wetter after my TT install and it dropped a good 9 + degrees!!! I was seeing 208-212 or so while cruizing in 95 degree weather now I'm at 199-201. Not bad for $7.00
Old 06-28-2006, 08:12 PM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

Put two bottles in - I saw an additional drop in temp.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:02 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Newton06
Put two bottles in - I saw an additional drop in temp.
What was the temp after 2 bottles? Did you drain some coolant out before adding the waterwetter product?
Old 06-28-2006, 09:25 PM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

Use a turkey baster suction thingy in the overflow tank. Put in what you take out.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:36 PM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by cthusker
What was the temp after 2 bottles? Did you drain some coolant out before adding the waterwetter product?
I'm running between 172-176 degrees. The second bottle netted another 5 degree drop if I recall. I do have the 160 degree t-stat installed.

Yes, I removed coolant before adding the Water Wetter.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:45 PM
CMEPASU
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you add the water wetter to the overflow tank or remove the radiator cap?
Old 06-28-2006, 10:02 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
I added some Redline Water Wetter after my TT install and it dropped a good 9 + degrees!!! I was seeing 208-212 or so while cruizing in 95 degree weather now I'm at 199-201. Not bad for $7.00
Lowering the temp isn't necessarily needed or even a good thing. The motor is designed to run at specific temps. I never had any trouble in all my years driving in AZ high temps. It's routinely 110 and above here all summer long.
Now for racing maybe the wetter is a good thing.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:12 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Hoonose
Lowering the temp isn't necessarily needed or even a good thing. The motor is designed to run at specific temps. I never had any trouble in all my years driving in AZ high temps. It's routinely 110 and above here all summer long.
I know there is a lot more torque available when my engine is around 200 versus 215-220. I simply don't like to see the temp that high because it puts a lot of extra strain on hoses, head gaskets, etc. I suspect the high temp is because of polution control not because it makes your engine run better. Cooler engine = more HP and torque....
I also suspect it will also slightly drop you oil temp! GM can tell me all they want about oil temps are ok up to 315 degs but I'm not buying it. Without syn oil you would be in big trouble running at those temps!! I think more good things happen with cooler engine temp than bad. I'm not talking about running at 160 or something like that... I figure 190 to 200 degs is hot enough IMO.
The following users liked this post:
TEN7 (08-02-2020)
Old 06-28-2006, 10:25 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CMEPASU
I added to the tank. Are you back in vegas? If I ever grew some ***** I'd move out there, I love Vegas! Hows the car? Need new tires yet?
Old 06-28-2006, 10:26 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

I know there is a lot more torque available when my engine is around 200 versus 215-220. I simply don't like to see the temp that high because it puts a lot of extra strain on hoses, head gaskets, etc. I suspect the high temp is because of polution control not because it makes your engine run better. Cooler engine = more HP and torque....
I also suspect it will also slightly drop you oil temp! GM can tell me all they want about oil temps are ok up to 315 degs but I'm not buying it. Without syn oil you would be in big trouble running at those temps!! I think more good things happen with cooler engine temp than bad. I'm not talking about running at 160 or something like that... I figure 190 to 200 degs is hot enough IMO.
What you say sounds sensible, but I'm still not so sure that it's really important. I know that dragsters like to get racing before they heat up too much, but I'd doubt there would be any seat-of-the-pants difference with our cars. Maybe the dyno guys could clue us in on typical HP losses with heating up.
And yes it sounds nice to be cooler, but fuel economy/efficiency may drop. And let me say this: In 6 years all the rubber and hoses under my C5's hood were all still as new as I could tell. That includes 6 of the hottest AZ summers!
Old 06-28-2006, 10:26 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I thought the car runs best at 192-200? I always ran at 192-200 BEFORE the TT, that's why I decided on water wetter!
Old 06-28-2006, 10:41 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

What you say sounds sensible, but I'm still not so sure that it's really important. I know that dragsters like to get racing before they heat up too much, but I'd doubt there would be any seat-of-the-pants difference with our cars. Maybe the dyno guys could clue us in on typical HP losses with heating up.
And yes it sounds nice to be cooler, but fuel economy/efficiency may drop. And let me say this: In 6 years all the rubber and hoses under my C5's hood were all still as new as I could tell. That includes 6 of the hottest AZ summers!
I've been reading a lot of Ranger's post and he sounds like he knows his stuff! He says there is a BIG difference if his Z is cooler when he drags it... He cools it down between every run as I understand it. I know that when my car hits 220 it just doesn't feel the same. You're right in that it's strictly seat of pants feeling with no data to support my hypothesis. I used to do a lot of drag racing and it was very important to keep the engine temps down to crank out max hp... However that was with much older technology so I don't know about today's engines. We used to actually ice them down at the drags trying to get better fuel density into the carbs. When the fuel got hot... forget..... they ran lousy! I'm going to give this stuff a try. From reading all these info on Red Line website it sure doesn't sound like it will hurt anything......
Old 06-28-2006, 10:49 PM
cbrf4i1
Drifting

one of the best thing to use for the cooling system, been using it for over 12 years
Old 06-28-2006, 11:05 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

When I did my baseline dyno I gained about 20 HP from 210-192
Old 06-28-2006, 11:10 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

When I did my baseline dyno I gained about 20 HP from 210-192
Good info!
Now one needs to run before and after with the wetter...
Old 06-28-2006, 11:50 PM
purple heart
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

I tend to agree; next week I am getting my car dyno'd and although I'm leaving in the Stock thermostat(OEM), I asked the programmer to set the fans to come on at, right now I'm thinking about 200.
just my .02 cents
Old 06-29-2006, 12:48 AM
CMEPASU
Instructor

I added to the tank. Are you back in vegas? If I ever grew some ***** I'd move out there, I love Vegas! Hows the car? Need new tires yet?
Oh yeah, got back to Vegas same night I picked the car up...Twin turbos are so quick I actually got here before I left

I'm not doing tires until I do the rear end. I've got to take some picks and post a new thread here soon...Just got back from the Chevy dealership, added to the LS2 stable and picked up a Trailblazer SS for the wife...Man, that's a sweet truck.

Later, thanks for the info on the water wetter, I'll be doing that next.

Gary

Get notified of new replies

To Redline Water Wetter, IT WORKS!

Old 06-29-2006, 12:54 AM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In my C5 I used a 160 Tstat and lowered fans so I could launch at 180. That was optimum for me. Compared to launching over 210 or so you could save a maybe half a tenth at the most with a LS1. I am planning to do the same with the LS2 after I do a test and tune night to figure out my best launch temp.

I am hoping to get some baseline stock runs in next week, then the mods start.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:58 AM
mlongo99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by CMEPASU
You don't have a choice because there is no radiator cap
Old 06-29-2006, 01:43 AM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Any of you guys ever use the product called 40 below??

Quick Reply: Redline Water Wetter, IT WORKS!