Sponsored by:

STEP 1 of my LED changeover

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 12:01 AM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Changed bulbs to LEDs in my pillar gauges - as staples says - "that was easy"

i figure i'd start with the easiest bulbs to replace - and those were in my gauges
i started by contacting AUTOMETER to ask what size bulb goes in the Phantom series gauges - got an email response next day saying it's a standard GE #86 - guess what folks.....it's NOT an #86 - it's a #194 - so check your own gauges before you order!

i ordered my bulbs from HERE
my specific application happens to be HERE FYI I ordered the Wedge Matrix (first bulb on that page)
other colors are red, green, amber, UV, super white, and of course blue

pics are below - before and after as well as a picture of the actual LED bulb
I'm tickled "blue" as this is just the beginning

Last edited by Togo; 06-23-2006 at 12:28 AM.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:41 AM
BrianWe
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks really sweet. I have converted my radio, HVAC, doors, and DIC switches so PM me if have any questions.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:44 AM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BrianWe
Looks really sweet. I have converted my radio, HVAC, doors, and DIC switches so PM me if have any questions.
Thanks - i just may do that - i have been in contact with SPDKILZ about these bulbs - it appears that those of us that can't solder worth a crap might just have a chance and be able to simply replace the bulbs like i did with my gauges!

as soon as i get my truck back from the shop, i'm gonna start disassembling the dash so i can get the exact model bulbs and "direct replace" them with LEDs in HVAC, DIC and eventually the doors - hopefully i won't be disappointed and there are actually light bulbs in those 3 places for a simple replacement!
Old 06-23-2006, 12:47 AM
Stangkiller
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Ooo, excellent! yoúre telling me those LED's are readily available and just twist right into the gauges?

Chris
Old 06-23-2006, 12:49 AM
CUlookin
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Uh oh, you just opened Pandora's box!! The sad thing is that you won't be able to stop!!!

Here's my LED mods as of today...

Decision between blue or white map reading lights:

Taglights:

Radio:

HVAC:

I've pretty much done everything, minus the glovebox, so give me, Carleton (SPDKILZ), or Brian a shout and we'll help you out!
Old 06-23-2006, 12:49 AM
RadicalWheelsInc
Intermediate

Looks great!!!
Old 06-23-2006, 12:51 AM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Stangkiller
Ooo, excellent! yoúre telling me those LED's are readily available and just twist right into the gauges?

Chris
yes sir, yes i am!
in fact, the links i put up have them ready to roll - so pull your incandescent bulb and install the LED and twist back to reinstall and VOILA
!
EASIEST mod i have done yet! (hope LEDs are considered MODS!)
Old 06-23-2006, 12:53 AM
CUlookin
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Togo
Thanks - i just may do that - i have been in contact with SPDKILZ about these bulbs - it appears that those of us that can't solder worth a crap might just have a chance and be able to simply replace the bulbs like i did with my gauges!

as soon as i get my truck back from the shop, i'm gonna start disassembling the dash so i can get the exact model bulbs and "direct replace" them with LEDs in HVAC, DIC and eventually the doors - hopefully i won't be disappointed and there are actually light bulbs in those 3 places for a simple replacement!
Sorry, I was posting as you responded to these replies... As for the "direct bulb replacement", it's impossible... The bulbs in the HVAC/ radio/ DIC are TINY, and have to be replaced with LED's with inline resistors... There's no other option, trust me!

Working on the radio so I know what I'm talking about!
Old 06-23-2006, 12:54 AM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

OH MAN, i didn't even think about the active handling buttons......can i ask a question though - are there "direct replaceable bulbs" in the HVAC and in the doors and under that active handling button?
how about the DIC?

i can probably solder - but don't trust myself to "attempt" it on a "corvette taxed" part so i'd much rather just change a bulb like i did in my gauges!

***EDIT*** after i read your reply.

the bulbs may be tiny in the HVAC but are they bulbs none the less? or are they soldered on?
i have some pretty tiny bulbs that i mistakenly ordered - perhaps if they are replaceable, you have a part number?

and the radio----the previous owner of the car put in an aftermarket one so that's not gonna happen!
Old 06-23-2006, 12:56 AM
CUlookin
Le Mans Master

yes sir, yes i am!
in fact, the links i put up have them ready to roll - so pull your incandescent bulb and install the LED and twist back to reinstall and VOILA
!
EASIEST mod i have done yet! (hope LEDs are considered MODS!)

After some of the work we've done, I hope they're considered mods!! A buddy of mine is building a Chevelle SS and installed Blue LED's behind all of his gauges in less than 15 minutes... I wish GM was so nice!
Old 06-23-2006, 12:59 AM
CUlookin
Le Mans Master

OH MAN, i didn't even think about the active handling buttons......can i ask a question though - are there "direct replaceable bulbs" in the HVAC and in the doors and under that active handling button?
how about the DIC?

i can probably solder - but don't trust myself to "attempt" it on a "corvette taxed" part so i'd much rather just change a bulb like i did in my gauges!

***EDIT*** after i read your reply.

the bulbs may be tiny in the HVAC but are they bulbs none the less? or are they soldered on?
i have some pretty tiny bulbs that i mistakenly ordered - perhaps if they are replaceable, you have a part number?

and the radio----the previous owner of the car put in an aftermarket one so that's not gonna happen!

Thank GOD you have an aftermarket radio, that's the hardest part!! As for the door switches, read SPDKILZ techtips, not much to mess up there with soldering because the bulbs "unclick" from the apparatus... as for the HVAC, if you don't have any experience, DON'T ATTEMPT THIS. It's a 600 dollar part and it requires soldering the parts onto the circuit board!! If you want me to do the door switches for you, I will only charge you for the LED's and resistors themselves and no labor, just send me a PM and I'd love to help you out...
Old 06-23-2006, 01:03 AM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CUlookin
Thank GOD you have an aftermarket radio, that's the hardest part!! As for the door switches, read SPDKILZ techtips, not much to mess up there with soldering because the bulbs "unclick" from the apparatus
they just "click in"?
can you explain?
is there a replaceable bulb number for those? if so, might you have the part number? if so, we can cross reference them in that autolumination.com site!

as for the HVAC, if you don't have any experience, DON'T ATTEMPT THIS. It's a 600 dollar part and it requires soldering the parts onto the circuit board!! If you want me to do the door switches for you, I will only charge you for the LED's and resistors themselves and no labor, just send me a PM and I'd love to help you out...
oh trust me - i'd have a hard time even if it was only a $100 part.
however, i don't have "electronic climate control" nor do i have dual zone climate control, so the part may not be that expensive to replace (my assumption - perhaps a bad one)
are there different ones? perhaps mine has replaceable bulbs because it's not electronic like yours?
Old 06-23-2006, 01:16 AM
CUlookin
Le Mans Master

Check Carleton's webpage out for the door switches: http://www.spdkilz.com/techtipleddoor.html

These unclick in the door switches and DIC buttons:

They have to be replaced with LED's however...

As for the HVAC, it still should have soldered in bulbs... there is a forum member who changes out the HVAC bulbs for a reasonable price... Being a med student, I won't touch it because I don't have the funds to replace it with my budget... Do a search and see if you can find the member...

Last edited by CUlookin; 06-23-2006 at 01:22 AM.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:21 AM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Check Carleto's webpage out for the door switches: http://www.spdkilz.com/techtipleddoor.html

These unclick in the door switches and DIC buttons:

doesn't that bulb look like this one?

BTW that bulb i posted is here
http://autolumination.com/74.htm
towards the bottom (look for Neo - Wedge Instrument Panel Bulbs are 10mm (3/8") diameter x 13mm (1/2") high)
Old 06-23-2006, 01:24 AM
CUlookin
Le Mans Master

Well the first thing I see is wrong is that the GM one's are for flathead screwdrivers, and that the "hinges" to attach the bulb to the housing are different... Buy them at your own risk... I've offered to do them for yuo at cost but if you want to buy them from autolumination, go head!!
Old 06-23-2006, 01:28 AM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Well the first thing I see is wrong is that the GM one's are for flathead screwdrivers, and that the "hinges" to attach the bulb to the housing are different... Buy them at your own risk... I've offered to do them for yuo at cost but if you want to buy them from autolumination, go head!!
i'm not trying to negate everything you say - i'm FURTHEST from being the expert here - i'm just trying to offer a viable alternative to others on the board - and if the ones from autolumination work, we might as well spread the word that the days of using LEDs and resistors may be numbered!

where can i find a part number for replacement bulbs for the door lock area so i can try and cross reference? ANYONE????

i may order them, if it doesn't work, do you mind if i still contact you for your previous offer?
Old 06-23-2006, 01:29 AM
THE BLACK WIDOW
Pro

That looks awesome......please keep us updated with pics!!

Get notified of new replies

To STEP 1 of my LED changeover

Old 06-23-2006, 01:32 AM
BrianWe
Burning Brakes

You are onto a good start. As Josh (CUlooken) as said, this is a mod and there is not quick fix. I would suggest following instructions at Carletons website. (http://www.spdkilz.com/). Do the door switches yourself even if you have never touched a soldering iron. You will be very succesful. This will build your confidence. On a side note, I suggest you use 510 ohm resistors as your C5 really has a 14v system when running. The 470's which most advocate draw a bit too much current in my opinion. Another tip, don't put the bulbs in until you are sitting in the car. Connect up the switch and then start to put in each LED. That will allow you put them in at the correct polarity. It is simple to swap them if they are backwards, but the fewer times you twist out the bulbs, the better.

The DIC switches, active handling, and trunk release are the same. After this, then get back to us about some tips for the radio and HVAC. You will then be ready to move on to the next level.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:39 AM
MyVetteDream
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: HOW FAST WAS I GOING OFFICER? Los Angeles Hating GM Dealership Service Dept.'s Since Sept. 2004
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Rob's not lyin'!!!! You won't be able to stop....

Here are my most recent shots....

Good luck...

Dave Q.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:48 AM
BrianWe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Stangkiller

Chris
After everything you have done to your car, I am a bit surprised you are hesitant to take on this project. I guess each of us has thier own risk level as I would be very afraid to rip the heads off my car, but tearing open the HVAC was fun.

Quick Reply: STEP 1 of my LED changeover