C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Volume Control

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 02:58 PM
Braced
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Automatic Volume Control

Anyone with the factory Nav unit please pipe in here. I have a 2005 coupe with the Bose Nav unit installed. I recently had my dealer look into my Auto Volume Control (AVC). Mine does not seem to be working. It never has. I would like to get it fixed within the next two years before my warranty runs out. A very trivial problem but one none the less.

I have rented numerous GM cars over the years that have this feature and they are very noticeable when activated. My Vette.... don't notice a thing happening with volume as I accelerate.

The dealership changed out the microphone located down by the steering column. My Service writer took a drive with the tech and it seemed to work. Then he took me for a ride and it sounded the same volume level at all speeds. Now he & I are are scratching our heads not knowing if it works or not? It sure doesn't work like the last Grand Am rental I had with it.

Any body out there had theirs fixed? Is it noticeable? What did the dealer do to fix the problem? Without hearing one that works, I have no base line to judge it by.

Again it's a trivial problem, but I'd like it to work. If it means tearing apart my dash to replace the radio, I may pass on it. But if it's a painless fix I will pursue it.

Edit: I have already installed the software fix that activated the MP3 player. That does not address the AVC.

Last edited by Braced; 06-06-2006 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:02 PM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I have the non-nav Bose system and mine has never worked either. I would like to get it fixed if there is a fix. Very disappointing as the old-tech speed regulated one in my C5 worked great.

Last edited by Indy-hp; 06-06-2006 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Several here WITHOUT the Nav have also complained about theirs not working. I don't have the Nav, but mine does work.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:05 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine has never worked. The (simpler) speed-compensated-volume on the older GM radios worked fine but the one on the nav does nothing. It is supposed to be better than the old style by detecting the non-radio-generated volume (noise level) in the car and compensate. Fact is, it simply does absolutely nothing.

Mike
Old 06-06-2006, 03:12 PM
Guitarstar
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Turn down the Lynyrd Skynyrd & ZZ top Steve.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:34 PM
agrumpyguy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you do a search,many previous threads about this.Never worked with nav units,never will
Old 06-06-2006, 03:37 PM
LonghornDSOM
Heel & Toe

I have the Nav system in an 06 and mine does nothing. The head unit was replaced (do to cd and XM problems) There is/was no difference having the automatic volume control on or off on both units.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:41 PM
grywlfbg
Instructor

It's the Bose. So if you have 3LT with or without NAV you will have the non-functioning Bose AVC. The base model (non-Bose) radio has the speed-sensitive AVC and it works just fine. The Bose system is supposed to have a microphone to measure ambient noise and adjust accordingly which sounds like the better system. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:00 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I thought there was a software upgrade for this issue.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:18 PM
Braced
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by agrumpyguy
If you do a search,many previous threads about this.Never worked with nav units,never will
I disagree. A friend of mine had his fixed and he says it works fine now. I just need to get a ride in his car to hear it for myself. I just wanted to know if anyone else had theirs fixed as well and how does it work? Is it worth the hassle to pursue the issue?

Last edited by Braced; 06-06-2006 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:21 PM
bradb
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

My 2005 non-Nav Bozo AVC is phantom-ware. No worky, ZIP, nada, nothing. Not worth a trip to the stealer and let their all-thumbs tech squad tear into my dash.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:22 PM
TN 2005 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VI, VII & XII Veteran
St Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

I have an 05 1SB with Nav and mine has never done anything Audio Pliot I beliee they call it. I have complained and had my microphone replaced with no avail. I had an appointment with the GM Tech guys at this years C5/C6 Bash but was not able to make it. That was my one thing to get checked by the GM Techs.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:26 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

I have an '06 with NAV (3/13/06 build date) and it definitely is functioning on my car. I know this because I decided to try it.. and like every other car I've tried it on it quickly drives me insane because the shifts in volume are too dramatic and slow to respond.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:31 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Bose Audio System I have (6 disc changer, no NAV) does not have speed compensated volume. Is has the Bose Audio Pilot. Bose Audio Pilot does not increase the volume noticeably. What it does do is very subtle. It adjust the equalization to compensate for cabin noise. As my friend at Bose put it, "If you can hear the change, it ain't workin right." The point is, unlike SCV contol, the Audio Pilot works without an obvious change. It IS NOT volume control.

Just FYI, there is no functional test for the Audio Pilot.

It is like the light in the refrigerator, when you close the door, it goes out, you just can't see that it goes out!

Last edited by calemasters; 06-11-2006 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:33 PM
JFTaylor
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

2005 1SC, Mine has never worked.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:35 PM
anothercrisis
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

I have the nav and I don't perceive my auto volume contol to be working. I have the older, simpler speed compensated control in my Tahoe and I KNOW it works. I have talked to the dealer and the technician about it and they have supposedly called GM. It was explained to them that the volume control works in relation to ambient noise...so the perceived volume is the same. Well that seems like BS, as if the radio was the same volume related to the ambient noise, I wouldn't need to reach over and turn the radio louder as I drive faster. I have thus far been unable to get anyone to do anything about it.

I had hoped that the MP3 upgrade for the early 05's might help me...but it did not.

I am learning to work around it, by reaching over and adjusting the volume with the little round ****.

anothercrisis
Old 06-06-2006, 04:36 PM
Monts
Pro

At first, I didn't think mine was working either. I do notice subtle changes in volume, but if I say, roll down the windows, it will not compensate enough.

In this respect, and this respect only, my C5 was better.

Get notified of new replies

To Automatic Volume Control

Old 06-06-2006, 04:43 PM
Guitarstar
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have NAV mine always worked.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:44 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by calemasters
The Bose Audio System I have (6 disc changer, no NAV) does not have speed compensated volume. Is has the Bose Audio Pilot. Bose Audio Pilot does not increase the volume noticeably. What it does do is very subtle. It adjust the equalization to compensate for cabin noise. As my friend at Bose put it, "If you can hear the change, it ain't workin right." The point is, unlike SCV contol, the Audio Pilot works without a obvious change.

Just FYI, there is no functional test for the Audio Pilot.
What you say may be true, but it does not work to my satisfaction.
I have had volume control in 6 different Gm vechs. That system DID adjust for speed (read noise increases) When I use my C6 radio its just like the older stuff out there. Your forever grabbing for the volume **** as you drive,
The only reason Im not too bothered by it is I find Im using the sound systems less and less in everthig I drive. For the most part I hardly ever turn on radio or CD when I have a passanger. Now that I'm retired the wife is with me most times.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:09 PM
bradb
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by calemasters
As my friend at Bose put it, "If you can hear the change, it ain't workin right." The point is, unlike SCV contol, the Audio Pilot works without a obvious change.
Cool.
That means mine is working because I can't tell it is working.

I might try that with the girlfriend.

Her: "Hey, I thought you were gonna mow the yard?"

Me: "Just because you didn't SEE me mow the yard or SEE the grass being any shorter isn't the issue. I'm using Bose technology to mow the yard."

Her: "What have you been smoking?"

Me: "Honey, it is high tech stuff. Bose Labs has shown that just because you can't see or hear something doesn't mean it isn't working."

Her on phone: "Mom, is my room still empty?"

Quick Reply: Automatic Volume Control