C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xm Adds Commercials To Music Stations

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 04:04 PM
KristinC6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xm Adds Commercials To Music Stations

Have you guys/gals noticed that some of the music channels have commercials now? I emailed XM about it and the response is below. Even though most of the music stations will remain (for now) commercial-free, it seems like the door is wide open for that to change.

Dear Kristin,

Thank you for contacting XM Satellite Radio.

This spring we will add a variety of new, commercial-free music channels and exciting new formats, details for which we'll announce in the next month. Because of their early investment in XM, radio broadcasting company Clear Channel provides programming
for four of our current music channels (KISS, MIX, Nashville and Sunny and a fifth music channel in development), as well as content for select talk channels. An arbitration panel recently ruled that Clear Channel has the right to include commercials on the music programming that it provides XM. As a result, these four channels will start to carry commercials this spring. At the same time, XM will add new
commercial-free music channels of its own so that subscribers will see no reduction in the total number of commercial-free music channels. We currently have 69 commercial-free music channels and that number will not change, even after Clear Channel starts to include commercials.

We apologize for any concern or confusion that this may have caused. Please continue to check xmradio.com for updates concerning the channel line-up and your XM Satellite Radio service.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:09 PM
06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Eastern PA:ECS Paxton Novi 1500(676rwhp,585tq on stock engine),LG headers, 410's, Corsa Sports, ECS Alky Kit
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I cant wait for the Sirius adapter to come out that will work with my Nav system. I really dislike XM in comparison, this just adds to it, uggghhh Clear Channel, just what we need.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:18 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by KristinC6
Have you guys/gals noticed that some of the music channels have commercials now? I emailed XM about it and the response is below. Even though most of the music stations will remain (for now) commercial-free, it seems like the door is wide open for that to change.
The only reason there are commercials on any of their music stations is because a lawsuit forced them to do give Clear Channel stations on their network. Hazy memory that is has something to do with the "local content" provided (traffic & weather, baseball, hockey, etc) and the terrestrial repeaters.

Pretty simple, if you see "cm" on the end of the stations name consider that "commercial music" and just don't listen to those channels. For any existing channel that was replaced with a Clear Channel station they have pretty much created a new one. From everything I've read, XM is very committed to the commercial free format for music, as is Sirius. As long as ONE of the two is, you can bet the other will be.

Last edited by TheKomoman; 06-01-2006 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:17 PM
Fordan
Advanced

Originally Posted by TheKomoman
Pretty simple, if you see "cm" on the end of the stations name consider that "commercial music" and just don't listen to those channels.
Good info; I had been wondering what the cm that was appearing on names meant.

Looks like I switch from Mix to Flight 26. Now if they'd only give us commercial-free comedy/talk/other channels, since we are paying them...
Old 06-01-2006, 05:26 PM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

I just noticed that Nashville's WSIX is now broadcast on XM. It does have the cm next to the stations' identifier. Thought it meant 'country music'.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:38 PM
vette-oholic
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree 100000%

Originally Posted by 06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
I cant wait for the Sirius adapter to come out that will work with my Nav system. I really dislike XM in comparison, this just adds to it, uggghhh Clear Channel, just what we need.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:49 PM
TommyDeVito
Instructor

I'm happy with XM. The music I listen to, well Sirius can't compete as their competing stations blow in comparison. It's all about what kind of music and programming you like. There are 2 stations on XM that kill anything Sirius offers, for me, so I won't be switching and I'll continue to listen commercial free as neither channel has commercials. The #1 reason I have it is so I don't have to listen to advertisements on the radio. Same goes for Satellite at home. The only time I watch channels that play commercials the whole year is during the NBA or MLB playoffs. The rest of the year the advertisors can have some of deez.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:30 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

change the station=no commercials.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:31 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Default there's commercials on there now....on certain stations

change the station=no commercials.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:33 PM
Blvdbrawler
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by 06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
I so much agree! XM is horrible...I never listen to it yet I paid it out for the year just for the hell of it...Crusin w my wife the other day and couldnt find a single damn song to jam too...
Old 06-01-2006, 07:17 PM
BF1977
Cruising

I have XM in the Vette and Sirius in the Jeep. With the exception of NASCAR, I like Sirius MUCH MUCH better. The music channel selection is much better on Sirius especially if you're into new (non-rap/hip-hop) music. When Sirius gets NASCAR next year, it will be a no brainer on which one is better. I wish the two service's radios were interchangable. I feel like I'm forced to renew XM after my free 3 months are up. And what's with the free 3 months anyway? DCX gives you a year of Sirius and I see Mercuary advertising 3 YEARS of Sirius now. And I really shouldn't have had to pay extra for the on-star system. They should put it in the car for free and just charge for the service. Just my two cents...
Old 06-01-2006, 07:24 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 597 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

Thats why i have sirius !
Old 06-01-2006, 07:32 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

EVERY XM channel has advertising! It's just the most of it is for XM itself. Don't kid yourself, an ad for an upcoming XM show is just as much an ad as a soap commerical. I listened to the comedy channel a while and it had drug ads all the time... I didn't renew and don't plan on it unless it gets under $3 a month...
Old 06-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Boriszeke
Advanced

I installed a portable sirius reciever on my console right behind the stick with double sided tape. Plugged it in to 12 dc inside console and ran antenna under rug seams and molding to rear window. XM programming is total garbage and time after time every music station I tune in is playing something I never heard before. When I go to the 60's, 70's or 80's station, I want to hear a song that brings me back to that era, not some side B obscure garbage that I never heard of. The only people that like XM never heard sirius.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:40 PM
djfullshred
Safety Car

This XM thing is a joke imo. I may continue to subscribe to it after the trial because there are NO decent music stations on commercial FM in my area (at least for my taste), but I cringe at suffering the horrendous sound quality of XM on this stereo. It sounds like someone took an already bad MP3 & compressed it even more. It sounds like Real Audio did when it first came out on the Internet in the 1990's.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:25 PM
double eagle
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

50s on 5 - no commercials except to-be-expected show promos
Old 06-01-2006, 09:41 PM
Tom_Slick
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Uh huh, that's why after the free trial period, I didn't bother to sign up for the service... Listen to my iPod in the car(no commercials.)

Get notified of new replies

To Xm Adds Commercials To Music Stations

Old 06-01-2006, 09:52 PM
Catchindirtbags
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

You either like it or you don't. If someone has a contrary opinion to XM or Sirius I don't care. I guess I just don't understand why there is almost daily a thread on XM being bad or good. Am I missing something? Not trying to be arguementive but I just don't understand why this is such a repetitive issue. It seems like no matter what the thread is about if it mentions XM folks either cheer for it or bash it.

Are we hoping GM notices and makes a change or gives an option?

Are we hoping XM notices?

Are we hoping that someone will give a tip on how to make it better?

Seeking like minded people?

I am just trying to understand why folks are so heated up over this. I feel like the guy in the room that doesn't get the joke everyone else gets and is standing around saying what? what? what is so funny...
Old 06-01-2006, 10:08 PM
HeyVern
Racer

Location: Grace Valley: A small, peaceful & beautiful valley in the Volunteer State
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Catchindirtbags
You either like it or you don't. If someone has a contrary opinion to XM or Sirius I don't care. I guess I just don't understand why there is almost daily a thread on XM being bad or good. Am I missing something? Not trying to be arguementive but I just don't understand why this is such a repetitive issue. It seems like no matter what the thread is about if it mentions XM folks either cheer for it or bash it.

Are we hoping GM notices and makes a change or gives an option?

It's quite simple...nothing else to do plus it gives people more stars.

Are we hoping XM notices?

Are we hoping that someone will give a tip on how to make it better?

Seeking like minded people?

I am just trying to understand why folks are so heated up over this. I feel like the guy in the room that doesn't get the joke everyone else gets and is standing around saying what? what? what is so funny...
It seems obvious to me...either members have nothing else to do and/or they want to increse their number of posts to get more stars.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:11 PM
Ed Collins
Advanced

Finally, I am old enough to give all of those born before 1990 a heads up. This is a planned marketing step process. First, they give it away at $10 a month, commercial free. Then, they add a few commericials. Then, they increase the price and the commercials.

This is a repeat of the '70's with the origianl cable TV! Ask anyone born prior to 1960!

Quick Reply: Xm Adds Commercials To Music Stations