C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1965 Convertible Waterfall

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 09:36 AM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 1965 Convertible Waterfall

I have seen lots of pretty waterfalls in person and on TV. Amicolola Falls in GA, Niagra Falls on TV, etc...The one I don't like is on my '65. When I wash it, water builds up in the groove on the backside of the decklid. There is an elongated hole, in the depressed area, on each side above the decklid springs. After washing, when I lift the decklid, water is pouring like a waterfall from the one on the pass. side onto the decklid spring. The weatherstripping looks good and pliable on the decklid. Are these holes suspose to re-route the water outside the car ? Are mine plugged up and allowing water to buildup ? Or, is the water suspose to waterfall onto the springs ? I've been sticking a towel under there to catch it. What is the permanent fix ?

Thanks !

Old 05-28-2006, 09:46 AM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts

Those are drain holes. Take a stiff small wire and clean them out. They exit near the #4 body mounts (behind the rear wheels).
Old 05-28-2006, 09:51 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

If you look up in your rear wheelwells, you will see the exit point for these drains. There is a steel channel that runs from wheelwell to wheelwell that reinforces the rear lip on the decklid opening. The upper screws on the decklid hinges also screw into this steel channel.
This channel is hollow and is supposed to act as a gutter to carry the water away from these drains. You should be able to clear these drains by taking the rear wheels off and reaming them out with a stiff wire like a coat hanger. Then take an air nozzle and blow them out to assure that they are clear.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 05-28-2006, 01:05 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Default Missing rivets?

Further to John's good advise, sometimes there are rivets missing from that channel to where it secures to the body which in turn allows water to run out.

Scott
Old 05-29-2006, 02:17 PM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ran a clothes hangar through them and then a blast of air at 90 psi. You wouldn't believe the crud that was in there ! Should flow freely now !

1 more thing off the list

P.S. 95 deg. in the shade, today in GA. Don't even ask, about the humidity.

Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To 1965 Convertible Waterfall

Quick Reply: 1965 Convertible Waterfall