Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Anyone heard of XZILON?...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 04:51 PM
Stick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone heard of XZILON?...

My black Z06 was delivered yesterday and part of the pitch was a protectant coating for the entire exterior. Ordinarily I wouldn't consider it but we are planning a cross-country trip later this year.

Anybody heard of it or used it?
Old 05-27-2006, 05:54 PM
TrackNoob
Melting Slicks

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...threadid=10895

http://ohiolemonlaw.blogspot.com/200...p-you-off.html

http://www.agentalliance.com/lmathews.html

http://www.southseasparts.com/product1.html

$125 for a kit that will do a whole airplane... includes towels, gloves, etc.... plane is 6 MPH faster, 2 degrees cooler, and it attracts 27.4% greater chicks

Look, polymers are nice, and very easy to apply. Paying several hundred dollars to have the dealer slap some on an already shiny coat of factory paint isn't worth it to most folks - I think you can guess how thorough they will actually be, but only you can really decide.

Last edited by TrackNoob; 05-27-2006 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:06 PM
ZBoater
Pro

I too was offered this for $599 and was considering it - not for a $599 wax job but for the 5 year warranty. Here in Florida between the sprinklers, bugs and bird poop, I have ALWAYS had issues with keeping paint jobs clean, even when waxing every other month. This time around I want to drive more and wax less, and this seems more like a $100 wax job and a $499 insurance policy. Is it worth it to pay $100 a year for this insurance?
Old 08-24-2006, 02:45 PM
91C4
Instructor

Default No!

No! No! No!
Old 08-24-2006, 06:21 PM
Z06-Goose
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TrackNoob
Look, polymers are nice, and very easy to apply. Paying several hundred dollars to have the dealer slap some on an already shiny coat of factory paint isn't worth it to most folks - I think you can guess how thorough they will actually be, but only you can really decide.
Not to mention the risk involved in having the dealer mess with a almost perfect paint from factory
Goose
Old 08-24-2006, 06:23 PM
picus
Racer

Xzilon is a high durability sealant; it needs to be re-applied yearly and the warranty is void if you do any polishing or waxing. You're basically paying $600 to have someone apply Collinite 476S to your car.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:27 PM
ZBoater
Pro

Originally Posted by picus
Xzilon is a high durability sealant; it needs to be re-applied yearly and the warranty is void if you do any polishing or waxing. You're basically paying $600 to have someone apply Collinite 476S to your car.
That's just it - if I were paying the $600 for the application only, even five applications (one every year), then it does not seem worth it. However, when I consider the warranty aspect of the $600 - supposedly they will either clean or fix any issues with the paint or the leather/carpet interior - then it starts to make more sense. Five years is a long time, and between the bugs and the bird poop and the Florida sun, $600 doesn't sound so bad.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:24 PM
picus
Racer

I see what you're saying; but in that sense you're just paying the dealer $600 up front to detail your car for 5 years. I'd much rather pay a reputable detailer $100-150 a year to polish/re-seal my car; it'll almost certainly look better than 5 years of Xzilon re-application and you don't have to deal with the dealership trying to "fix your paint". Of course I'm biased.

Last edited by picus; 08-24-2006 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:15 PM
xzilonguy
3rd Gear

Default xzilon

Originally Posted by picus
I see what you're saying; but in that sense you're just paying the dealer $600 up front to detail your car for 5 years. I'd much rather pay a reputable detailer $100-150 a year to polish/re-seal my car; it'll almost certainly look better than 5 years of Xzilon re-application and you don't have to deal with the dealership trying to "fix your paint". Of course I'm biased.
first xzilon doesnt require any reap once it is applied it is covered for the five year warranty. and it covers the paint and the carpets and upholstry. ask the dealer about the additinal rip tear and burn coverage also. belive me it is worth it it protects your entire car especially the out side rims and everything.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:07 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by xzilonguy
first xzilon doesnt require any reap once it is applied it is covered for the five year warranty.
So the sealant doesn't have to be reapplied for 5 years? It beads water and maintains slickness and appearance for that long?
Old 09-07-2006, 09:08 PM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 131 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by ZaneO
So the sealant doesn't have to be reapplied for 5 years? It beads water and maintains slickness and appearance for that long?
Old 09-07-2006, 09:30 PM
TrackNoob
Melting Slicks

[with appologies to "Tin Men"]

What are the benefits of aluminum siding?

[Looney]One: you never have to paint....
[Cheese]You have much greater insulation...
[Mouse] It cuts down on your heating bills...
[Gil] So what we've got is efficiency and the beautification of your home.

"Hon, can we be on the cover of Life Magazine... Can we, Hon?"

[Tilley] (smiles) This is the best scam I've ever thought of in my whole life. He kisses his hands with wild smacking sounds. He's ecstatic.

Last edited by TrackNoob; 09-07-2006 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:59 PM
xzilonguy
3rd Gear

yes it is gauranteed to last the whole five years. To all those people that say it is the same as all the other products on the market ask them why the other products couldnt pass the boeing tests. why the other products arent on the presidential fleet of aircraft or disneys corporate aircraft. ask why it is a solvent based product and not a cream or wax based like all the others. this product works and works very well.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:16 PM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the "gaurantee" pay for repaint of the car or just purchase price of the product?

What other "snake oil" products do you offer?
Old 11-15-2006, 02:34 PM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is no polymer, synthetic or natural wax, or after-market product available that can provide a (2 or 5 year) lifetime protection to a paint film surface. Read the fine print in the contract offered by car dealerships, there is normally a clause that states you should return the vehicle for a "maintenance" application of the product (at 3 or 6 months intervals) failing to do this will void your warranty or the fine print will basically exclude every condition you could claim against The primary protection provided for a modern water-based colour coat is a polythene paint that has a thickness of 2-3 Mils (0.002-0.003") this is protected by a sacrificial barrier of wax or synthetic polymer sealant.

This semi-liquid barrier is all that stands between the environmental contaminants (ultra violet radiation, acid rain, ozone, industrial pollution, rain, road dirt and tar, etc) and the paint film surface. This renewable barrier is less than 0.000001" thick. While it’s true that a polymer paints melting point is 350+oF, it is still subject to evaporation and erosion by the elements and vehicle washing. However its durability is approximately five or six months. The technology for a lifetime protection for a vehicles paint film surface does not currently exist.

Most dealerships rely on the fact that few customers read the fine print on the contract; the PermaPlate box says is must be reapplied every 6 months and every 3 months on darker coloured cars (for which a service charge will apply).
While it will not provide ‘lifetime’ protection go to a Chrysler or Dodge dealer and get them to apply their sealant

I'm suprised that the moderators haven't pick on the 'free' ad as yet
xzilonguy telling us of the virtues of Xzilon products-most honest vendors become a sponsor before they advertize their products
Old 11-15-2006, 07:46 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Hmmm, I am no chemist, but i`m with the " if you think that ANY sealant, wax, coating or polish lasts for five years, then I`ve got a bridge for sale in Brooklyn" crowd.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:22 PM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I see it all the time on Ebay. One seller put this in their ad & it sure confuses me:

(1) 7 oz. XZILON Molecular Adhesion Automotive Exterior Surface Protection, ONCE THE SEAL IS BROKEN, IT HAS A SHELF LIFE OF 7 DAYS! ( 6oz bottle pictured, your are buying the 7oz.bottle, which will protect approx. 2 average sized vehicles

This item is so affordable on Ebay because it does NOT come with a warranty. Be warry of ANY Seller on here offering you a Warranty on any Xzilon product on Ebay! You CANNOT get the warranty on this product unless you are willing to pay hundreds of dollars at a dealership!!!!!!

XZILON Does NOT Expire!!!!! It has a shelf life but NO Expiration date!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone heard of XZILON?...

Old 11-15-2006, 09:26 PM
7thgeneration
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts

Just another example of a dealer looking for another PIDGEON.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:26 PM
xzilonguy
3rd Gear

Default truth

I have read the fine print many times as well as talked to the people who designed it at several factory reps. It requires no reapplication for the five year guarantee. Yes it pays to have your vehicle repainted up to i belive it is 1500 dollars with no deductible cost. The reason it has a shelf life once the bottle is opened is because the carrier is a solvent base and solvents evaporate quickly. It is not your typical "polymer " sealant. Here is a quick history of the product. Boeing aircraft asked the major sealent and wax companies if they had anything to protect the polished metal of their aircraft against corrosion. Many companies sent thier products in for testing and they all failed including the granitize products which is xzilons parent company. Granitize went back to the drawing board and asked one of thier chmists to come up with somoething that could withstand the rigors of being on commercial airliners ie windspeeds, extreme temperature changes, extreme exposure to uv rays etc. Granitize chemists came up with this solvent based, zero wax, zero silicon formula. that did pass all of boeings tests and is now bing applied to their aircraft. and the aircraft thier customers have purchased from themthe advantage to this is a high durability. waxes and silicones do not last nearly as long. due to as the other post put it semi liquid barrier. Xzilon is not a semi liquid all the solvent based carrier evaporates off leaving a solid product that adhears to the clear coat. now i understand you guys outthere probably just think i am filling you with a load to try to sell a product but i am not i truly believe in everything this product says it can do because i have seen it. if any of you wants to try it for yourself all you got to do is ask and i will send a small sample bottle.

Last edited by xzilonguy; 11-17-2006 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:04 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Quick Reply: Anyone heard of XZILON?...