Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Mike Villeneuve wins WCCC event #6 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 12:21 AM
cc42
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mike Villeneuve wins WCCC event #6 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway!

Saturday, May 6 was the annual WCCC event at the Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. It is always one of the high points of the season. The Las Vegas racers from the Las Vegas Corvettes Association are dedicated racers and their home track is one of the best prepped and best managed that we’ve been to. Temperatures went from the high 80s to the low 70s from about 4pm to 11pm at track altitude of 2100 feet. We shared the track with the Jerry’s Nugget Bracket Racing Series, so we had everything from dragsters to soccer moms in minivans competing.

Mike Villeneuve from Fallbrook, California won his second 2006 event in a final between magnetic red C5 coupes. Mike took the A & A Corvette Performance winner’s trophy with a 13.029 ET on a 13.00 dial. Congratulations, Mike.

James Ranney from Las Vegas won the Cormier Chevrolet sponsored Runner-Up trophy in his magnetic red C5 when semi-finalist Vic Heackley of Las Vegas red-lit in his silver convertible C6. Jim also earned a first round bye with a best reaction time in time trials of .034.

Robert Piroumian of Newbury Park, California was the other semi-finalist in his supercharged 2004 Z06. Robert also had low ET in eliminations with an 11.669 at 124.80 mph. During time trials, Robert had a top speed run of 127.51 mph and 11.389 ET.

In the first round, Constantine Pappas of Las Vegas earned the Vapor Trail Vettes Closest to Dial trophy with a 14.005 ET on a 14.00 dial. Gary Combs from Torrance, California took the LACR/NAPA Auto Parts sponsored Best Reaction Time trophy with a .038 RT.

Congratulations to our first round winners Mark Davis, Ron Hanselman, Gary Combs, and Angel Yumart.

Thanks to all our sponsors including NAPA Auto Parts/Los Angeles County Raceway, Cormier Chevrolet, Perez Web Design, Opitima Batteries, Vapor Trail Vettes, and especially Andy and Melissa Green of A&A Corvette Performance

2006 Event #6 Summary
Winner: Mike Villenueve
Runner-Up: James Ranney
Semi-Finalists: Robert Piroumian and Vic Heackley
Best 1st Round RT: Gary Combs .038
Closest to Dial in 1st Rd: Constantine Pappas 14.005 on a 14.00
Low ET in Eliminations: Robert Piroumian with 11.669

Next WCCC event is Sunday May 21 at LACR. Be sure to check the LACR web schedule during the week prior to the event. You can also call the LACR event line at (661) 533-2224 after the Monday of the week prior to the event.

Last edited by cc42; 05-13-2006 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:50 AM
Blue85L98
Drifting

Cruise-In III Veteran

Congrats Mike on his second event win this year!

Congrats to Jim for his Runner-up and Best R/T efforts. Thanks to the rest of our racers for giving up their favorite Cinco de Mayo festivities. I missed the mark with the scheduling of the Las Vegas event this year by having it on Cinco de Mayo weekend...party day. We would have had a better turn out if I could have slipped the date by one week.

A big thanks to Constantine (cadillac531) for his Closest-to-Dial-In performance in the 1st round, and for generating some interest for the event in the ZR1 section.

It was good to see some familiar faces from the LVCA/Vegas Vettes group again this year. I'll try to better coordinate the event next year to get all of the usual suspects from the LVCA out to the track.

I'll try to get the videos and pictures out on the WCCC gallery as time permits. Thanks to Chris Combs for shooting digi pics and videos. After my early exit in the first round, I managed to climb up on the top of the tower and shoot some digi videos and 35mm film pics that must be developed this week as well. Stay tuned...

-dave
Old 05-10-2006, 09:32 AM
ralph
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats to Mike on the win

How far is Vegas form the home track for the series?
Old 05-10-2006, 12:30 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ralph
my-thinking exactly :
quite a little 'road-trip' ya got going there.....

Old 05-10-2006, 08:25 PM
Blue85L98
Drifting

Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by ralph
Congrats to Mike on the win

It's about 250 miles from our home track of LACR...and since I live close to the track, that's about what it is for me, but some of our participants live 100+ miles in the opposite direction as Las Vegas.

Some of us make a long weekend out of it, getting into Las Vegas on Friday, racing on Saturday, and returning on Monday.

-dave
Old 05-10-2006, 08:34 PM
Blue85L98
Drifting

Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by Glensgages
...quite a little 'road-trip' ya got going there.....
It is a fun road trip, once a year , but depending on one's gambling habits and luck, or lack of luck...it could be a quite expensive weekend...

-dave
Old 05-11-2006, 07:39 AM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

Congratulations Mike and all.

I have received photos and videos which I hope to have up on your web page Friday.

www.corvette-challenge.com
Old 05-12-2006, 11:08 AM
ralph
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like fun......now if they only built a track in Atlantic City, we'd be set.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:17 PM
Alcee1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Way-to-go Mikey, That's putting the hammer down
Old 05-12-2006, 06:32 PM
WALLstAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05

I missed the mark with the scheduling of the Las Vegas event this year by having it on Cinco de Mayo weekend...party day. We would have had a better turn out if I could have slipped the date by one week.
This weekend would have been perfect, to much going on last week. I really wanted to make it.

Congratulation Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-14-2006, 04:32 PM
MikeV
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Everyone.

Thanks for all the congrats!

This was the strangest drag race I have ever entered. For the most part reaction times were all over the map. The California racers, including myself, had a heck of a time with traction and the fact that the temperature changed a lot over the course of the day/night.

My reaction time ranged from .038 in the afternoon to over .400 in the final! I noticed that the time of day/age ratio changed reaction times drasticly. I was just lucky to come away with the win!

Mike V

Get notified of new replies

To Mike Villeneuve wins WCCC event #6 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway!

Quick Reply: Mike Villeneuve wins WCCC event #6 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway!