Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

BAD Sratch and chip good result with touchup123

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 04:09 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Default BAD Sratch and chip good result with touchup123

I did a prior review of Touchup123. My summary was
  • best way out there to fix 100 chips on 1/2 hour
  • Excellent results (plenty of photos there for you to see yourself, unretouched)
  • significant but light swirlmarks result from the process - easily removed on this Mercedes (which has much softer clearcoat than a Vette)

Also - good review by Guitarstar - a good read. He had a positive experience with the product also, on his BLUE c6 - nice to know he got a perfect color match, which would be tougher to do on his car than on my black SUV. He says with soft yellow flannel cloths for the FTC step, he had NO swirls.

The next trial was
  • HUGE scratch on the black SUV
  • HUGE single paint chip repair on the SUV
  • large area of road rash

LARGE CHIP BEFORE

LARGE CHIP AFTER

SCRATCH BEFORE

SCRATCH AFTER

Old 04-29-2006, 04:11 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

ROAD RASH BEFORE

ROAD RASH AFTER

My opinion:
  • Excellent coverup
  • easy application - much like using a wax-on wax-off procedure
  • from 6 feet away, finish is perfect - sure, from 6 inches (see closeups) you can still see the defects, which are just pigmented and hidden
  • would requre several applications to gradually FILL a defect as large as I've shown - but total fill is not necessary to make the appearance acceptable
  • swirls result unless you use soft cloths for the FTC step as reported by Guitarstar
  • EASY to fix a deep defect as I showed.
  • tougher to fix a scratch - even the bad one I've shown. Problem is having the paint stick, and NOT pulling it out
    during the "buffing" step. Took me about 3 or 4 tries to get this result. Even then not perfect, but a good coverup
  • WOW- fantastic result on road rash - these tiny chips are what this product is best at. You'd never be able to get this accomplished with standard touchup paint.

Hope you enjoy the pics.
Remember the limitations
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

Huge advantages
  • easy!
  • inexpensive for what you get - $40 total
The amount you get can cover typical chips on all four outer panels of this SUV if necessary.

Last edited by bugman; 04-29-2006 at 04:14 AM.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:25 AM
indy300
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice write up Bugman. Very helpful.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:23 AM
C5 RACNG
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

always enjoy your write-ups
great follow up review on 123
maybe that lagster (spelling) blob remover and touch up paint would be better for the scratch.
looks like the 123 would be perfect for the nose and hood of my Lincoln

Old 04-30-2006, 02:02 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

yes - this stuff is great for the 100 pock marks people get on the front of the car. Not great for the scratch, unfortunately.

I have Langka also. I like it, and have done a few repairs of chips with very good results, but it just isn't practical when you have 100 little marks on the nose.

Have also tried standard touchup paint for a few scratches like this, and nothing really works well. the problem is that there's really not enough depth for the paint to stick, so when you try to remove the excess paint from around the scratch (whether using the Langka blob remover, or the FTC), you usually pull the paint right out of the scratch as well.

I've been tempted to actually cut the scratch deeper with a razor blade, just so the paint would have more depth to stick into, but haven't gotten that crazy yet.

Get notified of new replies

To BAD Sratch and chip good result with touchup123

Quick Reply: BAD Sratch and chip good result with touchup123