C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Museum Delivery & 3,800-mile drive home (w/pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 11:57 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 659 Likes on 477 Posts

Default Museum Delivery & 3,800-mile drive home (w/pics)

GM's decision to cancel DSOM for 2007 and the availability of a GMID discount got me off the sidelines and into a new C6 coupe (DSOM/2LT/Z51/MN6). I took Museum Delivery of my car on March 31st. My buddy came along for the delivery and the road trip back to California.

We flew out to Nashville on the 30th, drove up to Bowling Green that evening, and managed to get a room at the Country Hearth when most other hotels in town were completely booked (lucky us). We couldn't have asked for a better location; the hotel is directly across the street from the museum. This was the view from our room:

We arrived at the museum at 7:45am. Our host that day, Lance B, did a first-rate job. The hours we spent at the factory alone were worth the price of admission. I have to get one of those zero-effort negtive-feedback power lifts the workers were using to maneuver LS7s with their fingertips.

We also got a look behind-the-scenes at the Museum's annex, where delivery cars are queued and other interesting items are stashed:

The line of future R8C deliveries (and a few other Corvettes) stretches for hundreds of feet. Those engines on the right are LT5 prototypes. Two had TIG-welded intake manifolds:

Also hidden in the annex was this C5 used by GM as a test mule for design of the C6 interior. It had C6-style exterior door handles as well:

Interestingly, four of the six cars delivered that day were DSOM. Mine is the one about to drive out:

Maneuvering the narrow halls of the museum:

Our first stop in the new C6 was the Bowling Green Assembly plant that we had visited earlier in the day. This photo was taken in the Corvette-only employee parking lot. Notice the short curb to accomodate the low noses of Corvettes:

The obligatory shot at the factory entrance. The crowd around the car were part of a group tour that had just let out:

Old 04-28-2006, 12:00 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 659 Likes on 477 Posts

Default Continued...

We decided to take a southern route home to avoid the lingering winter weather. We stayed off Interstates whenever practical, and went out of our way to drive some of the better driver's roads (especially in Arkansas and across Texas). Members of this forum and several other car clubs were very helpful in selecting a good route. The total trip distance came to 3,800 miles, mostly on two-lane blacktop.

Our trip took us up to Mammoth Cave N.P.; back down through the beautiful farmland and small towns of northwestern Tennessee at a stately break-in pace (and just a day before the devastating tornadoes); through Memphis and across Arkansas to Joplin, Missouri, where we visited my friend's family and borrowed their garage for an early oil change; back down through the Arkansas Ozarks on famous Route 7 (with break-in complete) where we met up with Forum member Dale_K; down through the fast, tree-lined byways of east Texas and on to Austin; down to San Antonio and through spectacular Hill Country twisties into the deserts of west Texas and New Mexico; to Carlsbad Caverns and on to Tucson where we stayed with friends; up through Phoenix to Laughlin, Nevada (Vegas was all booked up); across the Mojave and up the California Central Valley to home.

The worst weather we experienced was just west of Memphis on the first night after the delivery. We were caught out in a tremendous thunderstorm. As the rain started to turn to hail, I ducked off the highway and took shelter at this gas station:

Two days later, with break-in complete, we caught up with Forum user Dale_K and his red '05 coupe on Arkansas Route 7, a few miles south of Harrison:

Driving through the Ozarks:

Front-row parking at the state capitol in Austin, Texas:

Somewhere between Austin and San Antonio, a DSOM C6 Z06 (of all things) zoomed onto the highway right in front of us and got back off at the next exit. That was one of only three C6s we saw on the entire drive home.

After San Antonio, we headed out into the Hill Country on some more fast, interesting roads:

After Tucson, we picked up the pace a bit, having used up most of our allotted time east Arizona (on purpose, because we don't get that far east as often). We got home Saturday night after eight days of driving. I cleaned up the car and drove it in to work on Monday:

Having spent more than a week in the car, I have to say that I like the interior a lot. I cannot fathom why it gets so much criticism; it's almost as if its critics were so turned-off by the C4 and C5 interiors that they didn't actually bother to sit in a C6. The instrumentation is large and clear and the controls fall readily to hand. The materials are nicely-textured and feel as good as those from any car in the world (what point was the fellow on Top Gear proving when he rapped disapprovingly on the dashboard with his knuckles?). GM somehow resisted their usual urge to label the obvious ("Engine Start," "Climate Control," "Steering Wheel," etc.) or stick Corvette logos and other ornaments everywhere. And the minimalist center console (of 1LTs and 2LTs) is all-business, and in my mind, perfectly appropriate to the car.

Overall, the C6 exceeded my (high) expectations. It is fast, of course, but also a great car for a long trip. I'm 6'3", and I fit perfectly (but watch out: my buddy, who is also 6'3" but much taller in the torso, did not). Ten hours of driving felt more like three. Road noise was higher than most cars but by no means obnoxious (It was most noticable when trying to listen to the radio). The HID headlights are as good as everybody says.

The Museum Delivery was definitely worth it, and the road trip home was a blast. To anybody considering it, I definitely recommend the C6 and option R8C.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Scoota CO6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Veru nice pics. Congrats. I can't wait for mine. 2 more weeks ...I hope
Old 04-28-2006, 12:11 PM
xs650
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write-up and pictures. Looks like you ended up in Milpitas/Fremont area.

My 3200 mile journey from BG to near Sacramento starts next Wednesday.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:12 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

WOW - Great travel log. The only thing missing is a video. Congrats on the new C6 and your NCM delivery. It mirrored mine, only difference is my trip back home was only 325 miles.

Tom
Old 04-28-2006, 12:15 PM
thom_s
Advanced

Very nice write up and pics.
Welcome back to the Bay area!!
Old 04-28-2006, 12:18 PM
ASZ2222
Melting Slicks

Congrats. Nice write-up. Car looks great.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:23 PM
Gillvette
Melting Slicks

Nice wrtite up and photos.....Thanks.

Congrats and enjoy!!
Old 04-28-2006, 12:29 PM
fts
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Terrific pics and photo tour. Congratulations on the great looking Vette. Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for posting.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:20 PM
Top Flight Reproductions
Le Mans Master

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Great pics! thanks for sharing. Enjoy!!!
Old 04-28-2006, 01:35 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Great write up and pic's.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:42 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Congratulations!!!!

That looks like it was an awesome trip. Lance B did the delivery for mine as well, he's a good guy. Glad you ducked that hail.. I lived in SW Ohio for nearly 10 years but I had forgotten the implicit threat in those skies this time of year. Scary stuff.

Congrats again and enjoy!!!
Old 04-28-2006, 01:52 PM
Jagcvette
Melting Slicks

Great write up, very interesting. Although you all did take a rather unorthedox route home, especially in the Ark/Missouri area. That must have been one heck of a nice bar up in Missouri! I can't wait to visit the plant and museum next month during the Cruise-in.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:17 PM
BT ZR1
2009 ZR1 SN 1166
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

congrats- Enjoy
Old 04-28-2006, 02:28 PM
water boy
Burning Brakes

Nice post, thanks.

What are the cars on the raised platform, above all the C6s, next to the LT5 protoptype engine?

WB

Also, I've heard conflicting reports on the Country Hearth as a good place to stay. Obviously the location is great, but what kind of shape was the room in and the building as a whole?

Thanks

WB

Last edited by water boy; 04-28-2006 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:34 PM
d_bravo33
Instructor

Great idea and story. You'll enjoy this for a long time. We just completed our trip back from BG to Sacramento with our new coupe. The experience and trip were more than worth the price of admission. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:01 PM
craig33
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

GREAT report.. awesome detail..
one question.. BP station in your fill up pic was offering reg gas at $2.48? how long ago was that pic taken? how quickly we forget.. YIKES!!! good thing these cars get 20+ mpg!!

Get notified of new replies

To Museum Delivery & 3,800-mile drive home (w/pics)

Old 04-28-2006, 03:10 PM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Great write-up and pics. I enjoyed it. Thanks.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:11 PM
vettejoel
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'17

Originally Posted by ASZ2222
Congrats. Nice write-up. Car looks great.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:21 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Quick Reply: Museum Delivery & 3,800-mile drive home (w/pics)