Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

First Time washing my Black car, please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 04:31 PM
1 slow 97
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Default First Time washing my Black car, please help

guys,

My C5 was silver and a breeze to keep clean and looking good. Now I have upgraded to a brand new black 06 C6. I know its going to be alot more upkeep than the silver one and I need suggestions on what is the proper way to wash it and what products to use. I used Zaino on my silver car and liked the results so I may stick with that. But I need advice on drying technics, towells to use to keep scratches at a minimum, and any other tips on keeping a black car looking good.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:38 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 slow 97
guys,

My C5 was silver and a breeze to keep clean and looking good. Now I have upgraded to a brand new black 06 C6. I know its going to be alot more upkeep than the silver one and I need suggestions on what is the proper way to wash it and what products to use. I used Zaino on my silver car and liked the results so I may stick with that. But I need advice on drying technics, towells to use to keep scratches at a minimum, and any other tips on keeping a black car looking good.

Up until I bought a de-ionized water system for washing, I would dry my car with an electric leaf blower. Works great for removing the water. If you're using air to dry the car, you're not going to scratch the paint.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:01 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Basic Weekly Wash Supplies

Wash Mitts - Eurow genuine sheepskin mitt (or similar) or a 100% cotton wash mitt.

Car Wash Soap - some popular ones are Eagle One Wet wash, 1Z Perls shampoo, Zaino Z7, and Wolfgang auto bathe.

Drying - Waffle Weave microfiber towels, leaf blower, and/or 100% white cotton towels (made in USA).

Washing, Drying and Waxing Tips

- Never use circular motions. Always wash, dry, and wax using front to back and top to bottom motions.
- Don't use the same mitt or bucket for wheels that you use on your paint. The brake dust, etc. from your wheels will cause scratches and swirls in your paint.
- Use two buckets for washing paint. One with a soapy mixture, the other with plain water to rinse the mitt between panels.

Caring for Mitts and Towels

- Wash on the Hot/Cold setting
- Use Liquid Detergent only w/ no bleach and NO fabric softener
- Add distille white vinegar to the rinse cycle for added softness and soil release
- Rinse twice
- Dry towels on low heat w/ no fabric sheets
Old 04-25-2006, 05:41 PM
50yrzo6
Instructor

Welcome to the world of black, hope you aren't a Type A like myself!! The black is a challenge but you just have to work at it. The two posts above have excellent suggestions, products- I use all of the above. First- as Zano said, I never wash the wheels and wheel wells w/ same bucket as the rest of the car. I usually do those first and then set that bucket aside. I would add Pinnacle Body Wash shampoo to the above list, really slick and sudsy. Definitely use the two bucket method. I live in a rural area w/ very hard water, even w/ a softner so water spots are a real issue, can't leave water on it for any length of time. For that reason I like the leaf blower idea as mrosa65 mentioned. Some argue you can blow stuff into the car, but if you are careful I've found it saves a lot of time. You might try the sheeting method for your final rinse, helps immensely in reducing amount of water to dry off. After hitting mine w/ the blower I use a waffle weave to finish. Those work great in my opinion. One thing I also do if you have hard water is when it is still a little damp hit it w/ QD and wipe down, helps eliminate water spots. I do this if I'm not going to polish or wax. Hope this helps and congrats on the new ride!!
Old 04-25-2006, 05:57 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by ZaneO

Wash Mitts - Eurow genuine sheepskin mitt (or similar) or a 100% cotton wash mitt.

Car Wash Soap - some popular ones are Eagle One Wet wash, 1Z Perls shampoo, Zaino Z7, and Wolfgang auto bathe.

Drying - Waffle Weave microfiber towels, leaf blower, and/or 100% white cotton towels (made in USA).

- Never use circular motions. Always wash, dry, and wax using front to back and top to bottom motions.
- Don't use the same mitt or bucket for wheels that you use on your paint. The brake dust, etc. from your wheels will cause scratches and swirls in your paint.
- Use two buckets for washing paint. One with a soapy mixture, the other with plain water to rinse the mitt between panels.

- Add distille white vinegar to the rinse cycle for added softness and soil release
- Rinse twice

I can offer some specific products within each category, but Zane has got you covered on technique. One add:

If you use a QD or Gloss Spray at the end of your washing session. Try to use it while car is still slightly damp after blowing. It dilutes it just slightly (stops streaking) and provides just a little extra lubrication to glide the towel (preferably a Guzzler) over the finish without scratching.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:09 AM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZaneO

- Rinse twice
All good ideas. See my post on Zaino myths. The blower is a good idea, only if it is electric. Stay away form a two cycle gas blower as it will blow "blow by" all over your baby.

Just wash the thing, use a synthetic shammy, keep drying till done, come back for water spots later with the shammy. Garage or shade is best for this.

Black is beautiful. Dont fret. After dry, use a good polisher that is safe for clear coats ( for any surface scratches), I recomend Meguires for this step. Use a little polish and rub back in forth in same direction untill all polish is gone and the surface is rubbed out of polish. Repeat as necessary. Use the same area of the towel for application each time, this will ensure a good "pumice" application.

Then move straight to Z2 with the fx accelerator, wipe it on, let set for one hour then repeat. Dont muscle it, this is not a polish but an applicator, remember this.

Reapply 2 - 3 x of Z2. If not happy or swirls, use z5 then Z2 for finish. However, dont think z5 will be necessary for a new car.

When you are all done, clean the windows, get underneath her and wipe down all her "private" spots. Vacuum interior, then wipe down with Zaino gloss enhancer. Dust as needed.

Stand back, open a cold one and admire that you own something unique and beautiful. Dont forget to thank God for all your fortunes and the designers at GM.

Last edited by LOS ANGELES PI; 04-26-2006 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:25 AM
gringoray
Racer

The Gentlemen above have it covered to a "T", all I can add is don't forget the rubber trim treatment areound doors, hatch, etc. I use one coat of Gummi Pledge (discontinued BMW product) let dry, then apply GM slicone dielectric grease, all by hand, let stand about one hour then lighly wipe with MF.

Then hit with 303, let soak about 10 minutes, wipe, then one more coat, wipe off.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:16 AM
WSPH
wsph
Support Corvetteforum!

Default What QD to use?

I am just about done wet sanding my 04 Torch Red Vert and plan on putting a couple coats of Rejex on it. What do you guys suggest to use for a QD after weekly washings that will work well with Rejex. I appreciate your help Thanks.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:01 AM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

''upgraded'' ? maybe
Old 04-26-2006, 10:46 AM
gixxr
Racer

mine is black,just wash and wax it and use good products,you'll be fine
Old 04-26-2006, 01:53 PM
Z06-Goose
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WSPH
I am just about done wet sanding my 04 Torch Red Vert and plan on putting a couple coats of Rejex on it. What do you guys suggest to use for a QD after weekly washings that will work well with Rejex. I appreciate your help Thanks.
Not to hijack the thread...
RejeX is a stand-alone product. If you're looking for a QD you may want to stay away from QD that contains wax.
Something along these two may work...
Werkstatt Acrilic Glos or Meguiar's NXT Speed Detailer
Autogeek also carries a good line of QD. You may want to check them out and try finding one that would work with your system. Check them out... Autogeek
Goose
Old 04-27-2006, 02:03 AM
1 slow 97
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

what the heck is QD??
Old 04-27-2006, 02:09 AM
Z06-Goose
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 1 slow 97
what the heck is QD??
Haha!
It stands for Quick Detailer. Basically, a Spray to maintain your car between washes and such.
Goose

Get notified of new replies

To First Time washing my Black car, please help

Quick Reply: First Time washing my Black car, please help