C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Seat Tracks - Pictures of why you should just buy used (or new) ones

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 10:10 PM
93*Corvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seat Tracks - Pictures of why you should just buy used (or new) ones

When I started with the C4 forum the 1st question I asked was "How do you fix the seat tracks". I couldn't understand why no one sold the parts. Yes, you can send the entire unit to the Big Boys, but I fix everything else on my car why can't I fix the seat tracks too? The Big Boys get the parts, why couldn't I?
Everyone has told me that there are gears inside the track that always goes bad. Well, I have access to AutoCad people who can draw the gears, I also have access to metal molder. So I took mine apart to get started.
Well let me say, it's not just gears. It's a whole bunch of other stuff that just isn't worth fixing. I bought my used tracks from a forum member kg1922001 which is the best way to go. Getting used unit is the only way to go!
Since I couldn't find any posts on what the insides looked like, I decided to take pictures of mine so any other member who gets the "wild hair up his a*s" to try to rebuild theirs they will understand why it isn't worth it.
Here is the pictures:
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...1seattrack.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...isassembly.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...turebroken.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ackbushing.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ontbushing.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...arflatspot.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...sticbroken.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ticcloseup.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...Trackgears.jpg
Old 04-24-2006, 10:25 PM
Jerris
Burning Brakes

Some great pics, perhaps we should combime pics and do a writeup on how to repair these. The only problem is there are no replacement parts.
I bought a used one and it had similar problems to the ones I had.
I took apart both of mine and was able to salvage enough good gears for both. However I also had a number of the plastic end caps etc that were broken. I bought a special 3M epoxy for plastics and glued the pieces back together then epoxied the whole thing ionto the aluminium case for extra strength. I then assempled everything with nuts and bolts instead of rivits and it has been 8 months and no problems yet.

I have always said that if some company starts selling a kit with the plastic internal parts for these tracks they are sure to have a big seller as every C4 will have problems with their seats at some tome because everything inside is plastic and they all wear out.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:31 PM
93*Corvette
Pro

Originally Posted by Jerris
I have always said that if some company starts selling a kit with the plastic internal parts for these tracks they are sure to have a big seller as every C4 will have problems with their seats at some time because everything inside is plastic and they all wear out.
That's why I got feed up. If it was just a gear, it would be so easy to make metal gears. But there is more than gears inside the unit. I truly didn't know this until I opened mine up.
I just don't want anyone else to open one up to see what's inside. I see people selling bad ones for ~$30-$50 on Ebay. I truly don't see why they are buying them, and it's not false advertising since they say that they're bad. But once you open them up, no one will buy them.
So, I say, buy used (but good) tracks for $125.00, then sell your used ones for ~$30-$50. your net loss would be ($75)-($95). Not bad....
Old 04-25-2006, 12:41 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I ran into the same exact issue... they are easy to fix, but the parts are not available... it sucks.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:51 AM
Roadster89
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is going to be the next repair on mine. Passenger side only moves up/down and forward, not to the back. If any one else touches that control, only a 5 year old will be able to fit in the seat.

Is there a difference in seat tracks Driver to Passager side ?
How about years, or sport seats or cloth vs leather ?

A repair kit on these would be a good thing. I'd buy it.

Gary
Old 04-25-2006, 01:11 AM
93*Corvette
Pro

Originally Posted by Roadster89
This is going to be the next repair on mine. Passenger side only moves up/down and forward, not to the back. If any one else touches that control, only a 5 year old will be able to fit in the seat.

Is there a difference in seat tracks Driver to Passager side ?
How about years, or sport seats or cloth vs leather ?

A repair kit on these would be a good thing. I'd buy it.

Gary
The tracks are the exact same for a late 1987 thru 1996. The 1984 thru early 1987 have a different plug. Both passenger and Drivers tracks are the same.
I wrote a procedure if you want it. The only problem is I had to break the file down into 7 file since the files were so big. Does anyone have a way to combine them up again and make them pdf files?
Old 04-25-2006, 01:49 AM
Klondike
Team Owner

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Do any other GM tracks from Caddy, Olds, Buick etc. fit, or are these special size fit only for the Vette?
Old 04-25-2006, 06:37 AM
rons85
Burning Brakes

You could "reverse engineer" the plastic parts (except for the gears, probably), create CAD (solid) models, RP (rapid prototype) the parts in wax then use the wax parts in an investment casting process to make replacement cast alloy parts in whatever alloy you choose (Aluminum isn't an option, normally, in investment casting... Brass might be a good choice). Then finish by machining all of the tight clearance stuff - shaft bores and etc. Well - if you had (as I do, at work) the CMM, the CAD package, the RP machine, the foundry and the machine shop!

Too bad doing "personal" stuff like that at work is sort of frowned on - not impossible to get done, just not something you want to make a habit of.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:38 AM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,401 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadster89

Gary
I'd disconnect the wiring to that seat pronto, before this occurs.

Be well,

SJW
Old 04-25-2006, 10:39 AM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,401 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by 93*Corvette
The tracks are the exact same for a late 1987 thru 1996. The 1984 thru early 1987 have a different plug. Both passenger and Drivers tracks are the same.
I wrote a procedure if you want it. The only problem is I had to break the file down into 7 file since the files were so big. Does anyone have a way to combine them up again and make them pdf files?
I can create PDFs. Drop me a PM, if you like.

Be well,

SJW
Old 04-25-2006, 01:11 PM
Casethecorvetteman
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Everyone i know that has a Corvette (or anything else with dual power seats for that matter) says the first thing most of their passengers do when they find out they are sitting on a power adjustable seat is play with it. This is why im so happy both my Corvettes have only power driver seat!!! This obviously wont stop you having issues, but sure will make it less costly when you do
Old 04-25-2006, 03:07 PM
kopbet89c4
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About a year ago, I tried to fix my power seat racks because they'ed work whenever they felt like. There were like 2 bottle caps jammed in there and also a coin. What I did was buy manual seat racks for $30. Slapped them in, cut the old power seat rack harness (and saved them) and bolted the manual ones in. 20 minute job and less electrical problems to worry about.

Needless to say, I sold my old power ones on ebay and the profit paid off the cost of the manual ones. No more headaches.

Get notified of new replies

To Seat Tracks - Pictures of why you should just buy used (or new) ones

Quick Reply: Seat Tracks - Pictures of why you should just buy used (or new) ones