Engine blew in the first 150 miles from C n' V

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 09:28 PM
Flagstaff_Vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine blew in the first 150 miles from C n' V

I have wanted a 1971 Green 454 Corvette since 8th grade. I dreamed about this car all the way through high school. So when once came around. I bought it. I still don’t even have the title. But paid for in cash.

As I was going down the road Sunday, I heard a small knock knock in the engine. I pulled over, but heard nothing unusual. I got back in the car, put it in drive to limp home (About 1 mile). Then 10 feet later, a soft womp and the engine quit. OK. Hmmmm. Call AAA towing.

Not once was the car raced or over 3,000 on the tach. Because of a rear end problem that was going to be fixed, I was taking it real real easy.

OK, Now the news for this Monday morning. The engine threw (at least) a rod and bearing. Great. The dealer (C n’ V Corvettes, Phoenix) sorta of hinting I abused the engine, therefore I get to pay for rebuild.

I say a 454 with 82,000 original miles on it should be able to drive 150 miles on a weekend, never once reaching more than 3,000 rpm. I told them I was taking the car to Phoenix International’s NASCAR races that weekend. We camp out there at the races, lots of fun. The car never made it. Somehow the dealer thought I was racing the car at NASCAR. Har Har. Very funny.

The dealer so far has offered to pay for removal and re-install. I want them to kick in the first $2,000 to get the engine fixed (rebuilt). I want to rebuild the original #’s matching 454 engine block. I would prefer Chucks Speed Center to rebuild and blueprint the original block. If C N’ V Corvettes does the work, I don’t know if it’s going to get blueprinted, or “just enough to make it run”.

Sooo, what are your thoughts on a 454 not being able to drive 150 miles, and basically driven like an old granny to church.? Jill my housekeeper was with me at the time it blew, so I have a witness as to the not being abused part, that’s for sure. I’m just that I spent 50 grand on a low mileage 1971 Brands Hatch Green original 454, and the engine goes in the first 150 miles. I put a lot of extra money into it because I thought I was buying a car with low enough mileage that it would last for a few years, especially the trip back east I was planning. I wouldn’t have made it to Tucson.

Comments? What should I say to the dealer? So far they have been fair with everything, but I don't think I should pay for an engine that didn't last a day off the lot.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:36 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...&highlight=CNV

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...&highlight=CNV

do your own search, include archives, on CNV. You will get plenty of hits.

Last edited by PRNDL; 04-24-2006 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:42 PM
gator79
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 71_454_Green_Machine
Comments? What should I say to the dealer? So far they have been fair with everything, but I don't think I should pay for an engine that didn't last a day off the lot.

for 50 grand they better fix it to your satisfaction. that seems like a lot for a 71 BB vert. be careful and don't let them deck the block. you will loose your serial number on the block. also for that money the rear end should have been corrected also. just my 2 cents..
Old 04-24-2006, 09:44 PM
LittleJake
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you have a contract with them where they give you a warranty you better take what they will give you and run. If you bought the car "as is" they dont have to do anything for you. Sorry about your luck, I would be super pi#@ed.
Glass Act
Melting Slicks

Location: 406ci SB, AFR 180 Heads - 490 HP @5,600 RPM 529 lb-ft @ 4,100 RPM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check to see if you have "Lemon Law" rights in your state.
jdmick
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You gave them that kind of money with no title in return? This could get interesting, blown engine or not. I think someone started a web site dedicated to bringing this outfit down. Good luck.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:52 PM
Flagstaff_Vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

The title is coming, there was a problem that was NOT thier fault. It has to do with where I live. I will get the title wednesday, thats not a worry.

There were some verbal representations when the car was turned over to me. First was that they were going to fix the rear end. And they said they will. They also said they would detail the car, and color sand a problem spot, and fill in 2 deep scratches and repaint those areas. I have no doubts they will do this.

But they also said the car would not have a problem if I drove it over the weekend, just bring it back so they could finish the work.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:54 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 453 Likes on 353 Posts

Sounds like you need to read your sales contract real carefully. What is fair or right really doesn't enter into it. When I sell a used car, the warrantee is 10/10. 10 feet or 10 minutes. I don't lie, I do try to tell all the defects, but sometimes things happen and no one is to blame. I've sold alot of cars, and thankfully, so far, no returns. Anyway, there are good dealers and scumbags. If it is a good dealer, look at his point of view. What are the odds that you didn't jump on it real hard? Anyway, all you have is what is written. If you have a written warantee, don't let them off the hook. Good luck.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:02 PM
Flagstaff_Vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

So far included in that 50 grand, they have rebuilt the suspension and brakes, bearings, calipers etc. New radiator and complete A/C rebuild. Really so far they have been pretty good. I just want and engine rebuild that is awesome, not just enough to get it running.

I know I paid a premium price at a dealer. You always do. But looking for specific cars, you have to pay a little more money.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:02 PM
TonySinclair
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Glass Act
Check to see if you have "Lemon Law" rights in your state.
The "Lemon Law" only applies to new cars.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:05 PM
TonySinclair
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I’m just that I spent 50 grand on a low mileage 1971 Brands Hatch Green original 454, and the engine goes in the first 150 miles. I put a lot of extra money into it because I thought I was buying a car with low enough mileage that it would last for a few years, especially the trip back east I was planning. I wouldn’t have made it to Tucson.

85k is low mileage? My car has 64k original miles and the engine is about due for a re-build.

The only recourse you have is what's written in the sales contract. Is the BIG BOX that says "No Warranty" checked? Verbal promises aren't enforceable.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:19 PM
oregonsharkman
Melting Slicks

Received 938 Likes on 364 Posts

I spent 50 grand on a low mileage 1971 Brands Hatch Green original 454,

Wow prices have really gone up in the last.............year.

Beautiful car by the way....good luck with the motor.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:39 PM
DMONSVETTE
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel real sorry for you and your lost.

Did you do any homework/research on where to buy Vettes from?
And which places to avoid?

I hate to say it but I think you are getting/going to get/have already gotten ripped off.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:39 PM
Flagstaff_Vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Guess I'll go do what I always do... Go get drunk with my step son & his jarhead buddies in Oceanside... I only drink maybe 2 times a year, but a few cocktails, a few strippers, and all wil be well.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:48 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

thats more then a premium price......i would expect them to fix it....take the rod to metalurgist they can tell you how it broke and if the stress cracks were there for a long time by looking at the broken spots
Old 04-24-2006, 10:51 PM
MsVetteMan
Melting Slicks

Wow.....and I was moaning about a 2500 engine.......

Dayum man, why you pay so much for it? And it still needed work? I hope like hell you got a written warranty. This guy ain't gonna fix crap, I'll be on it. He's already blaming you.........

I think it was a big, big, big, mistake driving that car off the lot, without have all agreed upon work completed.

Good luck, been there..........
Old 04-25-2006, 02:09 AM
BLUSHRK
Racer

Wow! I've got an appointment Wednesday at CnV to pick up my car. After reading some of the testimonials on that "ripoff" site that was listed a few replies ago, maybe I should get a refund of my airfare and stay home. I've got that "just kicked in the gut" feeling. At first I was thinking that I should read the posts with a grain of salt, but then I came across the one written by the mechanic. I've got to sleep on it, but I'm probably not gonna go get the car. Now I'm totally bummed.
I was so excited to get this car until I read this post. And from everyone's saying how shady they are, I'm probably not gonna be able to get back my $500 deposit.

71_454_Green_Machine: I hope everything works out for you and they take care of you. I hate to see people get ripped off or lied to, even if it's a little lie. I hate that. Good luck man...

Get notified of new replies

To Engine blew in the first 150 miles from C n' V

Old 04-25-2006, 02:44 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 81_Charcoal_C3
Wow! I've got an appointment Wednesday at CnV to pick up my car. After reading some of the testimonials on that "ripoff" site that was listed a few replies ago, maybe I should get a refund of my airfare and stay home. I've got that "just kicked in the gut" feeling. At first I was thinking that I should read the posts with a grain of salt, but then I came across the one written by the mechanic. I've got to sleep on it, but I'm probably not gonna go get the car. Now I'm totally bummed.
I was so excited to get this car until I read this post. And from everyone's saying how shady they are, I'm probably not gonna be able to get back my $500 deposit.

71_454_Green_Machine: I hope everything works out for you and they take care of you. I hate to see people get ripped off or lied to, even if it's a little lie. I hate that. Good luck man...
which gem are you buying?
Old 04-25-2006, 02:48 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Here is a thread that I remembered from TWO YEARS AGO!! As I recall CNV was high bidder (too high for what the cars really were) at an auction and the cars showed up on their website slightly misrepresented. I would be very very cautious about buying a car that they represent as "matching numbers." We should all know by now that matching numbers do not necessarily mean original equipment.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ht=CnV+auction
Old 04-25-2006, 04:20 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Rebuild the engine? Kiss your #'s matching block goodby after they promise they'll preserve the numbers as they deck the block. Happens very frequently around here. The shop says "oh don't worry we won't mess with those numbers." Guess what? The numbers are gone and you have a NOM '71 BB.

Quick Reply: Engine blew in the first 150 miles from C n' V