Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Gas Prices???

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 03:17 PM
Terry Corp
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NW Events Coordinator

Default Gas Prices???

Many of us in the Pacific Northwest travel long distances to attend Corvette events. With fuel prices going nuts we all want to reduce our cost of premium gasoline as much as possible.

We have all bought a tank of gas, then drove down the road a few miles only to find a station selling gas for $.30 to $.40 cents per gallon less. Thankfully now, to avoid this frustration, I've found a website that can give instantaneous, up-to-date prices all along the travel routes, and do it very quickly. The info on station location and pricing is contributed by local consumers who post their info daily.

The website is called Gasbuddy.com. http://www.gasbuddy.com/

As I write this some examples are:

Nevada - Reno $3.29 per gallon for regular (add about $.20 for premium)
- Winnamuca $2.59

Washington - Point Roberts $3.32
- Yakima $2.59

Oregon - Salem $2.66
- Springfield $3.14

California - Fairfield (Bay Area) $2.79
- Needles $3.76

Granted, some of these locations are long distances apart, but just about every city in every state is reported so you can quickly plan your fueling stops.

If any of you guys have some other suggestions or creative ideas I think there are many of us who would like to hear them.

The weather is improving. Time to take the Corvette out of moth-***** and hit the road. We'll see many of you this summer.....

Terry
Old 04-24-2006, 10:49 PM
maukavette
Pro

I guess I would be wary about the accuracy of the prices. I live in Salem, OR, and there is no gas here for $2.66 today, not regular and certainly not premium. I paid $2.999 for VPower at Shell yesterday. Just a word of caution. :o
Old 04-24-2006, 11:46 PM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 909 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

As rapidly as prices are rising, accuracy at any given moment will always be an issue. On the other hand, I just checked Eugene prices against what I saw on the way home tonight and they look "right on".

Prices in Eugene have been increasing by .08 - .10 daily! Is there any ceiling in sight? Or will they just keep raising prices until we are forced to stop driving?
Old 04-24-2006, 11:51 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

KOMO TV Channel 4 in Seattle reported tonight that the average price for unleaded regular was running between $2.89 and $2.91 depending on the areas around Seattle. That probably included a large cross-section of stations and those stations that offer full-serve at a higer price. I have seen stations that are charging as much as $3.25 for regular.

I gassed up my 02 this afternoon in Lakewood WA at a Chevron station and paid $3.01 for 92 octane premium. I drove home to Lacey (about 15 miles south on I-5 and the Chevron about three blocks from my house was showing $3.15 for the same stuff. There are a few Shell and Texaco stations in the Olympia area that are already at $3.01 for regular and $3.19 for premium.

Gas is going up a penny or two every day. The stattions are not getting gas deliveries every day so the stations are either trying to help the customers with sticker shock or just adding a penny per gallon per day as extra profit. I suspect the latter.

KOMO has a link to that gasbuddy website. The Seattle link off that main page just doesn't seem right. Seattle has notoriously high gas prices and the Costco stations only give the members a discounted price. Gas at the Costco in Tumwater is at $2.85 today.

Originally Posted by duckvett
Or will they just keep raising prices until we are forced to stop driving?
I can't see most people quit driving. The mindset of people today is that the car is a necessary part of life. Besides, how will be people be able to use their cell phones if they can't drive??

There was talk on the news tonight of Congress finally thinking about asking questions of the oil companies. Some oil company exec got millions of dollars when he retired and the obscene profits that the oil companies are reporting is starting to make the congresscritters a bit uneasy. Something is going to have to be done and the oil companies may be the losers at some point.

Last edited by c4cruiser; 04-24-2006 at 11:57 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:22 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Guess I'll have to go out to restaurants only 3 times a week instead of 4 so I can keep on filling up my Vette and my Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 liter Hemi...
Old 04-25-2006, 09:28 AM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 909 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

Originally Posted by Red Racer
Guess I'll have to go out to restaurants only 3 times a week instead of 4 so I can keep on filling up my Vette and my Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 liter Hemi...
Exactly the same thing my wife & I decided. We usually dine out 3 or 4 times a week. If we cut back to 2 or 3 we just saved $40-50 which, hopefully will be enough to fill the Corvette with premium. And, since we finished our major kitchen remodel, we don't mind staying home and cooking!
Old 04-25-2006, 09:39 AM
pro1955
Pro

I paid 3.25 in Ocean Shores for premium Thursday.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:28 PM
VETTE_ESE
Melting Slicks

bush is an idiot... how come we're still paying high gas prices while the whole war was base of oil?
Old 04-25-2006, 11:36 PM
Z51L83
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VETTE_ESE
bush is an idiot... how come we're still paying high gas prices while the whole war was base of oil?
because..........(i don't wanna offend bush supporters) i was watching the news ast night, and he said quote"we will deal with price gouging in supreme court"........... i'm calling on this one....... he is big oil, any chance he can make a profit to put in his own pocket by gouging, then he will, and he will blame it on the oil companies as a cover up.... he president bush if you wanna try oil companies in supreme court for price gouging, then i think you should be first in line

sorry, just had to get it out of my system
Old 04-26-2006, 01:16 PM
wt2ga
Burning Brakes

Old 04-26-2006, 04:43 PM
bsmutz
Racer

Hey, I bought my '91 a few weeks ago in Lakewood. I paid like $2.97/gal. day before yesterday after a $.03/gal. discount at Fred Meyers in Vancouver, WA. Heard on the news the other night that So. Cal. has prices over $4 already. Bush ain't gonna do diddly squat to his oil buddies. The only way we're going to get any action is from somewhere outside the government. Certainly the oil companies aren't going to back off when they are making so much money. After all, they only have so many years left to bleed us dry. I heard on the news that gas is only $.12 a gallon in Caracas. South America is waaaaaay ahead of us using alternative fuels, saving money for consumers, cutting down on pollution, and more importantly, not relying on big oil to provide fuel. Why are they so far ahead of us? Because their government cares!!! What do they care about? Their people, their environment, and their economy. What does our government care about? MONEY!!!
Old 04-26-2006, 09:20 PM
edensknight
Race Director

Gas is $3.25 per gallon for the premium in my neck of the woods!
Old 04-29-2006, 08:35 AM
DidntSettle
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Manchester - Political correctness is tyranny with manners.
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE_ESE
Sounds to me like you're the idiot. The world market determines the price of oil, not GW. Supply and demand. For example, China is gobbling oil at record rates never seen in the past. And the loons on the left will not let us drill anywhere or build new refineries. Furthermore, we get very little oil from Iraq and it was not "war for oil". That tired, misleading mantra has about run it's course.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:21 AM
Hodos
Instructor

Venezuela pays about 12 cents a gallon.

Just a thought here. I recently read about adding Acetone to your gas and having it boost your fuel economy. I've put it in my Camaro and saw an immediate boost in performance. I was quite impressed. I didn't see any improvements in mpg, though. I believe it was due to my lead foot. I'm trying to keep my foot out of the gas this time around and with a 1/2 tank left to go, it seems that I'll end up with about a 2 mpg increase.

I told my family about this, and everyone that has tried it has had positives to say. I haven't put it in the vette, yet. But, I'll probably be doing it shortly. I used it in my lawnmower and noticed some difference there as well, especially in starting.

Don't take my word for it, though. Do a google search for "Acetone" and you'll find several websites that talk about it.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:14 PM
DidntSettle
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Hodos
Venezuela pays about 12 cents a gallon.

Just a thought here. I recently read about adding Acetone to your gas and having it boost your fuel economy. I've put it in my Camaro and saw an immediate boost in performance. I was quite impressed. I didn't see any improvements in mpg, though. I believe it was due to my lead foot. I'm trying to keep my foot out of the gas this time around and with a 1/2 tank left to go, it seems that I'll end up with about a 2 mpg increase.

I told my family about this, and everyone that has tried it has had positives to say. I haven't put it in the vette, yet. But, I'll probably be doing it shortly. I used it in my lawnmower and noticed some difference there as well, especially in starting.

Don't take my word for it, though. Do a google search for "Acetone" and you'll find several websites that talk about it.
I don't know about that. Im not saying it isn't true, but the evaporation rate of acetone is very fast and I can't see it staying in the tank very long...not to mention what it might be going to fuel system parts.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:25 AM
Hodos
Instructor

We use 100% Acetone where I work and we are careful of what we clean with it. However, when you mix it in with your gas the concentration drops to about 0.25% or so. With all of the other junk they put into gas, I think the fuel system should be robust enough to handle it.

You are right, though. It evaporates extremely quick. I also wonder about how well it mixes with the gas. It took about 20 miles for me to feel any difference at first, but when I finally did, there was no denying it.

I found a website where people logged their individual results, and they were all over the board. Some people lost 15% in economy while others gained 30%. So, I guess "results may vary" and don't come looking for me if something does go wrong.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:43 AM
DidntSettle
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Hodos
We use 100% Acetone where I work and we are careful of what we clean with it. However, when you mix it in with your gas the concentration drops to about 0.25% or so. With all of the other junk they put into gas, I think the fuel system should be robust enough to handle it.

You are right, though. It evaporates extremely quick. I also wonder about how well it mixes with the gas. It took about 20 miles for me to feel any difference at first, but when I finally did, there was no denying it.

I found a website where people logged their individual results, and they were all over the board. Some people lost 15% in economy while others gained 30%. So, I guess "results may vary" and don't come looking for me if something does go wrong.
We'll hunt you down like a dog!

Get notified of new replies

To Gas Prices???

Quick Reply: Gas Prices???