Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Amazing gains from stock - check this out...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 06:31 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Amazing gains from stock - check this out...

We dyno'd this car when it had only 900 miles on it. To say the least it was weak.

Today, several thousand break-in miles later and a dyno tune....voila!

Old 04-21-2006, 06:55 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

Interesting numbers...especially when one on your competitiors dynoed 3 Z's this week, all of which had Kooks headers installed first. Your competitors numbers are very realistic. HP 456 to 494, and torque 424 to 458. Your numbers, without headers, to be honest, seem to be complete BS. And, I also find it interesting that this thread "happens" to appear within minutes after your competitiors. Hmmmmmmmm
Old 04-21-2006, 07:07 PM
Ruf-Racer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What am I missing?

I am an idiot for commenting earlier!

Cheers

R

Last edited by Ruf-Racer; 04-21-2006 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:17 PM
cbgpe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Scientific principle

Originally Posted by CharlieTuner@AandACorvette
We dyno'd this car when it had only 900 miles on it. To say the least it was weak.

Today, several thousand break-in miles later and a dyno tune....voila!

The way to do accurate tests are to make only one change at the time
I E
dyno @ 900 miles
Dyno @ several k miles
Dyno after the tune
that way we know the benfit of each
Perhaps you did that and did not post all the results....
It would be nice to see the benefit of break in and then the tune IMHO

It might also cut down on the claims by others
Old 04-21-2006, 07:45 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by cbgpe
The way to do accurate tests are to make only one change at the time
I E
dyno @ 900 miles
Dyno @ several k miles
Dyno after the tune
that way we know the benfit of each
Perhaps you did that and did not post all the results....
It would be nice to see the benefit of break in and then the tune IMHO

It might also cut down on the claims by others
Yes, I did a run but it was within 2 of the first run.

Please understand, this post was "tonque-in-cheek" as this car obviously had a very weak calibration......the tuned numbers are in line with the other half a dozen or so we've done...I'll attach a "normal below...as for anyone calling BS, please look at their post counts and agendas.....

..comparison graph of other "normal" stockers..tuning only - nothing else

Old 04-21-2006, 08:42 PM
BlueBlazer
Racer

Hey RonnieC6Z,
You have been a member for not even 30days and you’re calling BS on somebody from Andy's shop??????
A&A happens to be a very reputable and well respected tuner on this forum and have been around a lot longer than 30days.
One of your first posts was a giant advertisement for LAPD; including links to the LAPD site.
The only thing you didn't give them in your post was a hand job. Sorry I call BS on you
and the guys at LAPD that you’re posting for. "Insert middle finger smilie"
Old 04-21-2006, 08:48 PM
BlaznZ06
Race Director

Received 755 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueBlazer
Hey RonnieC6Z,
You have been a member for not even 30days and you’re calling BS on somebody from Andy's shop??????
A&A happens to be a very reputable and well respected tuner on this forum and have been around a lot longer than 30days.
One of your first posts was a giant advertisement for LAPD; including links to the LAPD site.
The only thing you didn't give them in your post was a hand job. Sorry I call BS on you
Old 04-21-2006, 09:46 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Very Nice Numbers; We'll validate them

Even though Andy and Charlie need no validation from Halltech, here is our Z06 on a DynoJet 248, 1.00 correction factor, bone stock and then with Halltech Tuning. We lost a couple of HP from spark knock retard due to the 92 Octane and Ethanol Blend on this pull, but the numbers are still big.

The torque is identical to Charlies.

Remember, the pistons are interference fit in this motor, which means the block must be warmed and the pistons cold to even get them into the bore. It probably takes 2,000 miles to actually bring this motor to life. All bores are exactly 4.125" +or- zero. The pistons are 4.124" to 4.126", measured at the skirts over the piston moly coating.

Tuning is worth more than just the horsepower gains you see. It prevents the loss of HP and torque that would go south with heat and poor fuel.

Charlie's numbers are right in line with the tuned LS7 motors we have seen so far.

Jim

Last edited by Halltech; 04-21-2006 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:57 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

I think there are a few Z06s coming out of the factory with weak tunes or maybe hey have a long break-in period. MTI Racing dyno'd a Z06 with 1000 miles on it and it made ~410whp bone stock on a muggy and rainy day. Of course almost everyone called BS even though I tried to explain in clear terms what happened. Some people called it "hogwash" and "rediculous".

Reese ended up getting the car up to ~465whp with just tuning and more miles. It seems like it wasn't a fluke as A&A seems to have some similar results. I'm just going to assume that it takes some cars longer than others to get to average power (~440whp) than others. Reese had another C6 Z06 before that one (one of the first off the line) make 460whp with no tuning at all.

Last edited by Kappa; 04-21-2006 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:03 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Charlie, do you have ideas as to why some Z06s come out of the factory with these weak tunes? Did the torque management numbers look strange to you or did they not have any effect?
Old 04-21-2006, 11:25 PM
Mauricelev
Cruising

Hey Blue Blazer,

First, I believe Ronnie has been a member for a much longer period of time, no matter what the forum states. Also, I am one of the 3 Z06 LAPD did this week and I also find it interesting that 3 Z06 with Kooks headers would be within a horse power or two, and the same on the torque, yet, someone can pull almost the same numbers by tuning only, and you don't see something wrong with that. I am not saying anything against A&A since I have not dealt with them, but other numbers posted by other members with LG headers and tuning are within the same range. Just doesn't seem to add up.

BTW, I'm not sure how old you are, but the comments about the blow job and the finger are childish to say the least, and as a senior member, you should be embarrassed. I guess you don't have to be CLASSY to own a vette, you have proven that.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:47 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by RonnieC6Z
Interesting numbers...especially when one on your competitiors dynoed 3 Z's this week, all of which had Kooks headers installed first. Your competitors numbers are very realistic. HP 456 to 494, and torque 424 to 458. Your numbers, without headers, to be honest, seem to be complete BS. And, I also find it interesting that this thread "happens" to appear within minutes after your competitiors. Hmmmmmmmm

Hmmmmm indeed. STFU n00b.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:51 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueBlazer
Hey RonnieC6Z,
First of all, dude, I have been on the forum for years...my name WAS RonnieC5, but I changed it since I have a C6Z. Secondly, I have the right to question HP and torque numbers on a car which originally had much lower stock numbers compared to 3 other cars, and then approched numbers with tuning only of the 3 cars that had tuning and headers. This questioning is logical. And since I found it a bit strange that the post which I am questioning hit the forum within minutes after his competitor posted figures, I stated so. Finally, I do not need or accept your personal insults pertaining to my relationship with any forum vendor, expressed so eloquently in your use of the English language. I hope you get my drift.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:07 AM
ee996tt
Intermediate

My car was the third of the 3 C6 Z06s that LAPD did this week and here are my observations:

1) I don't think anyone needs to post negative info for one shop to promote another. There is plenty of business for everyone. This is my first vette and reading this crap turns me off about certain tuners/parts manufacturers (actually, that is why I chose the headers I did).
2) All three of the people who had cars done by LAPD were happy and satisfied with their cars (thats the most important thing). In addition, maybe the vendors should not be posting these "amazing gains" from cars with owners that have no comment. If the customer is happy with the outcome, they will post info themselves (as we all have).
3) A&A posted that the headers they used made 494.56 RWHP and 469.83 RWTQ. My car made 493.18 RWHP and 462.19 (as we know all cars are different). I think there is too much childish crap going on and the different headers fall within the same range +/- a couple HP. In reality, no one can feel the difference between 494.56 and 493.18 RWHP.
4) BS or no BS... Bottum line... Too much drama and not enough tech talk... We are here to exchange information/knowledge/experiences and not bash one another. I may be one of the youngest Z06 owners and been on this forum for a short time, but I can see there are quite a few people here that need to grow up...

Last edited by ee996tt; 04-22-2006 at 12:16 AM.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:29 AM
hapnermw
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since the dynos of tune-only and the dynos of tune+headers are not that much different this would seem to indicate that the stock LS7 headers are a bit more effective than we give them credit for.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:32 AM
0Vette Stripes
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08

Originally Posted by ee996tt
4) BS or no BS... Bottum line... Too much drama and not enough tech talk... We are here to exchange information/knowledge/experiences and not bash one another. I may be one of the youngest Z06 owners and been on this forum for a short time, but I can see there are quite a few people here that need to grow up...
Old 04-22-2006, 01:13 AM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Kappa
Charlie, do you have ideas as to why some Z06s come out of the factory with these weak tunes? Did the torque management numbers look strange to you or did they not have any effect?

I do know why on this particular car, as it was mainly tied to spark and fuel management. In turn, the torque management went a little beyond "aggressive".

I am positive that a later factory calibration would have helped this car to yield a more middle of the road set of numbers.

thanks,

Charlie

Get notified of new replies

To Amazing gains from stock - check this out...

Old 04-22-2006, 01:17 AM
ocnatv
Instructor

It looks to me like all the tuning numbers are about the same no matter what shop and the LG headers are generating more torque than there competitors. The horsepower gains from all the headers look about the same.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:56 AM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ocnatv
It looks to me like all the tuning numbers are about the same no matter what shop and the LG headers are generating more torque than there competitors. The horsepower gains from all the headers look about the same.

You are so right, thanks!

Charlie
Old 04-22-2006, 01:59 AM
Pio
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Did I miss something? The A&A numbers and LAPD numbers are very close around 450 rwhp 420 rwtq stock and 490 / 470 with headers and a tune. Right? Whyt all the

Quick Reply: [Z06] Amazing gains from stock - check this out...