Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Hoosier announced 19" comp tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 12:12 PM
tolgademir
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hoosier announced 19" comp tires

325/19's should be shipping in a month.
http://www.hoosiertire.com/pb401706.HTM
Old 04-19-2006, 12:58 PM
Pio
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Great news!!!
Old 04-19-2006, 05:39 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

At $168 more than a pair of 315/35 18's, it looks like my investment in a pair of 18's for the back is paying off.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:31 PM
Cape Cod Bob
Account disabled by user request 2 March 2009

Hoosier has a 335 18" tire too!!!
Bob B.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:40 PM
Mako7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since they are "DOT" can you drive 2 hours to the track and then back on these tires?

Looks like $65 cheaper for rears than the stock street tires ($415 from tire rack), and don't know how much cheaper for the front Hoosiers.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:42 PM
midnite902
Burning Brakes

Cool Thanks for the info.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:53 AM
Mako7
Drifting

[QUOTE=Mako7]Since they are "DOT" can you drive 2 hours to the track and then back on these tires?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I guess at the very least, it would use up some of the "heat cycles" on the tires.

But will the PO-lice pull me over for driving on freeways or surface streets with Hoosiers?
Old 04-25-2006, 06:28 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=Mako7]
Originally Posted by Mako7
Since they are "DOT" can you drive 2 hours to the track and then back on these tires?

I guess at the very least, it would use up some of the "heat cycles" on the tires.

But will the PO-lice pull me over for driving on freeways or surface streets with Hoosiers?
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 04-25-2006, 06:40 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=Mako7]

From the tirerack website:

WARNING: DOT labeled Hoosier Racing Tires meet Department of Transportation requirements for marking and performance only and are NOT INTENDED FOR HIGHWAY USE. It is unsafe to operate any Hoosier Racing Tire including DOT tires on public roads. The prohibited use of Hoosier Racing Tires on public roadways may result in loss of traction, unexpected loss of vehicle control, or sudden loss of tire pressure, resulting in a vehicle crash and possibly injury or death.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ireModel=A3S05
Old 04-25-2006, 07:10 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=Short-Throw]

WARNING: DOT labeled Hoosier Racing Tires meet Department of Transportation requirements for marking and performance only and are NOT INTENDED FOR HIGHWAY USE. It is unsafe to operate any Hoosier Racing Tire including DOT tires on public roads. The prohibited use of Hoosier Racing Tires on public roadways may result in loss of traction, unexpected loss of vehicle control, or sudden loss of tire pressure, resulting in a vehicle crash and possibly injury or death.

Wow that is different than I thought.Thanks for the info.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:17 PM
YELLOHHH
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=Short-Throw]

That was written by a lawyer who is paid to cover Tire rack's ***. That way, when some mental midget is out on his hoosiers, and hits standing water, slides sideways, and takes out a school bus stop full of children, he can't sue them for selling him "unsafe" tires.

Driven on dry pavement, you'll be fine. Don't get caught in the rain, and don't hit standing water. Oh, and you'll probably chew up your car from all the rocks you'll throw against it.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:51 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by YELLOHHH

That was written by a lawyer who is paid to cover Tire rack's ***. That way, when some mental midget is out on his hoosiers, and hits standing water, slides sideways, and takes out a school bus stop full of children, he can't sue them for selling him "unsafe" tires.

Driven on dry pavement, you'll be fine. Don't get caught in the rain, and don't hit standing water. Oh, and you'll probably chew up your car from all the rocks you'll throw against it.
This may be true but water isn't the only enemy.

Remember these tires need heat and even on dry pavement they can lose traction. A short drive somewhere will leave the tires cold. (Granted summer months should be okay) Debris on the road or dusty construction areas can be treacherous for not only when you're moving but if you have to panic stop as well.

A longer trip on the highway should be fine in dry weather.

I'm running Pilot Sport Cups which actually have a few grooves and they have been slippery before warming up.

Same rules apply as snow, etc...exercise caution!

Old 04-25-2006, 09:48 PM
12oh
Burning Brakes

would these tires be good to put on the back of the zo6? would they work like a drag radial? just want to know if they would work better than any street tire for off the line traction.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:54 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Old 04-26-2006, 02:12 AM
Mako7
Drifting

Hmmm... .

I will take this info as a "NO" to using the Hoosiers to drive to the track. This means I am running street tires for now!

Btw, the Hoosier disclaimer definitely makes me feel less than 100% confident using them at the track!
Old 04-26-2006, 03:48 PM
YELLOHHH
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
This may be true but water isn't the only enemy.

Remember these tires need heat and even on dry pavement they can lose traction. A short drive somewhere will leave the tires cold. (Granted summer months should be okay) Debris on the road or dusty construction areas can be treacherous for not only when you're moving but if you have to panic stop as well.
All good points.

I'm running Pilot Sport Cups which actually have a few grooves and they have been slippery before warming up.
I'm debating between Pilot Cups and RA1's for my next set of tires. I was leaning towards the Toyos because of price. Did you consider the Toyos at all, and if so, what made you go with the Cups?
Old 04-26-2006, 04:43 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

All good points.

I'm debating between Pilot Cups and RA1's for my next set of tires. I was leaning towards the Toyos because of price. Did you consider the Toyos at all, and if so, what made you go with the Cups?
The shop that is doing my work all have SCCA experience. They all run Pilot Sport Cups and love them. I know the are costly but this is what the racers are using so I went with them. So far they have been great I don't know how much the Toyo's cost but price never entered he equation.

Get notified of new replies

To Hoosier announced 19" comp tires

Old 04-26-2006, 05:30 PM
YELLOHHH
Le Mans Master

The shop that is doing my work all have SCCA experience. They all run Pilot Sport Cups and love them. I know the are costly but this is what the racers are using so I went with them. So far they have been great I don't know how much the Toyo's cost but price never entered he equation.

What sizes are you running?
Old 04-26-2006, 07:11 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

What sizes are you running?
Fronts are 285/30/18 and the rears are 315/30/18. You may be able to run bigger in the back but I'm not sure it'll do you any good and just cost you more money for a cosmetic look that you'll be replacing shortly anyway.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:31 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I have been running Hoosier DOT R and Rs for 3 years now.

These tires use are measured in heat cycles not miles. Each time your tire is up to opporating temp and pressuer that is a heat cycle. Driving to and from the track is one heat cycle each. and if you stop for breakfest on the way to the track add another heat cycle.

So how many heat cycles do you get?? Not what you guys may be hoping for.

For ultimit traction, 2 to 4 heat cycles, 5-10 heat cycles there is very good traction, 11-15 is OK traction. Over 15 heat cycles, traction is marginal on the corners, but still better then street tires.

Now lets look at a weekend.

three 25-30 min sessions a day that is 3 heat cycles

so two day event is 6 heat cycles.

two weekends are 12 heat cycles

three weekends are 18 heat cycles. Get the idea ??

for good traction I use them 3 weekends, for OK traction I use them 5 to 6 weekends, but speeds are much slower.

If you do a lot of trail braking that means more rubber will come off. Oh be prepared to use lots of 3M Trim Adheasive remover to get those wonderful black rubber streaks off you rocker pannels, fender wells, mirrors and your hood from bouncing rubber pieces (track turds). Not to mention the sand blasting on the same rocker pannels and wheel wells. No painters tape does not help, 3M clear adheasive helps some.

I have had track turds bounce though my drivers window and hit my chin gaurd on my helmet too.

Now if you get stones or grass stuck in that soft rubber, be prepared to scrape them out with a pocket knife.

i.e. dont drive them to the track

Hoosier VRLs on left - Mich PS on right
18x305/30f & 18x335/30r - 18x275/35f & 18x335/30r

Last edited by AU N EGL; 04-26-2006 at 07:39 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Hoosier announced 19" comp tires