C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone installed aftermarket nav???

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 11:38 PM
arizonavert
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone installed aftermarket nav???

I currently Own a C-6 Corvette that has the Premium Bose 6-cd changer and am thinking of installing a Pioneer AVIC Z-1 nav unit. This thing is a state of the art piece. It has SO much more than the factory nav unit. Including 10 GB of hard drive to store your cd's by converting them to Mp3, AND WATCHING DVD VIDEO!!!!I am also learning that there are several adapters available so you (or your installer) doesn't have to cut any wires at all. These retain all factory warnings and chimes!

Has anyone installed one yet?
If interested do a search for "pioneer avic z-1" and there is a review video from the
Old 04-18-2006, 09:37 AM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

Is the Z1 on the market yet?
Old 04-18-2006, 03:34 PM
frenchcu
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Getting ready too

My father just bought a C6 and is probably going to put this in, mine has the factory nav and in reading the specs this system seems a lot better. His car should be here this week.

I am quite share that this model is out now in fact Crutchfield says they have it in stock.

I will be very interested to see how it turns out when he gets it.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:06 PM
sscamaro
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '07

I bought a Magellon after market GPS system. It attaches to the windshield and can be used in any vehical. 6MM POI's
Old 04-19-2006, 02:56 PM
wratran
Burning Brakes

Default avic

i installed mine last months. I used a kit from Metra..fit like factory. You dont have to install the speed sensor wire. I put the GPS antenna on the rear hatch window w/ 3m double sided tape. I used the factory amp and speakers...and added a powered sub. It sound real good
Old 04-19-2006, 03:01 PM
KHAN
Racer

Originally Posted by wratran
i installed mine last months. I used a kit from Metra..fit like factory. You dont have to install the speed sensor wire. I put the GPS antenna on the rear hatch window w/ 3m double sided tape. I used the factory amp and speakers...and added a powered sub. It sound real good
pictures..?????
Old 04-19-2006, 03:02 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by arizonavert
I currently Own a C-6 Corvette that has the Premium Bose 6-cd changer and am thinking of installing a Pioneer AVIC Z-1 nav unit. This thing is a state of the art piece. It has SO much more than the factory nav unit. Including 10 GB of hard drive to store your cd's by converting them to Mp3, AND WATCHING DVD VIDEO!!!!I am also learning that there are several adapters available so you (or your installer) doesn't have to cut any wires at all. These retain all factory warnings and chimes!

Has anyone installed one yet?
If interested do a search for "pioneer avic z-1" and there is a review video from the
You might want to consider the new Eclipse Nav. I have seen last years model (new model just comming out) and it has some nice fetures, stereo sounds very nice, and looks/fits awesome in a vette. Read consumer reviews on both units.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:29 PM
harrisraw
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I've said it before and I'll say it again- those Eclipse units are solid if your going for something in your DIN slot....

I think I mentioned this a couple of months ago, but I wanted something I could move around a little bit easier which is one reason why I like the Tom Tom 300. They've got a couple of newer models out now w/Bluetooth and bigger screens and such too. Can't beat the flexibility.

Good luck in the search! There's a LOT out there.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:55 AM
excessive81
Safety Car

i have the eclipse unit in mine and it is great!!!
Old 04-25-2006, 03:12 PM
wratran
Burning Brakes

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...tran/NAV-2.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...tran/NAV-1.jpg
Old 04-25-2006, 05:11 PM
Pulp_Fiction
Advanced

Install Kit: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=894
Faceplate has some texture but otherwise looks perfect.

Wiring Adapter: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=326
Beware, I have speaker Amp thump when turning off, it may be this adapter.... But otherwise it works, chimes and all.

Finished product:

Thread with more pictures:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1365347
Old 04-25-2006, 05:38 PM
C6dude
Burning Brakes

Eclipse AVN-5495 for me. Built in 30gig hard drive for MP3's and you can watch DVD's on the fly with a quick jumper to ground on the parking brake wire.Most new NAV/DVD units use your speed sensor instead so you cannot jump them.

Awesome picture and sound .I paired that up with Earthquake SWS-10's inthe doors with Alpine self powered tweeters and the sound is amazing.I burn DVD music videos on my PC for passenger entertainment and for long cruises. A 4.7gb DVD holds about 50 music videos.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:25 AM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the AVIC-D1. Simply stated, I will never own another car without one of the AVIC product line installed.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:51 PM
SickRick
Drifting

Have the AVIC-D1 (installed last XMAS) and damn them, they had to come out with the frikkin Z1 a few months later.

I'm JONESING for this puppy. My local dealer will get me one for $2K installed. Still waiting for the new Clifford alarms to ship (May 15th) since it's already paid for...

Anyone wanna buy a 6 month old D1? Told him to get me around $750 for it...

Rick
Old 04-27-2006, 09:28 PM
usmarine2003
Heel & Toe

Default I too love Eclipse

The establishments which sell all the brands always suggest Eclipse if you have the $$.
Attached Images       
Old 04-28-2006, 11:10 AM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SickRick
Have the AVIC-D1 (installed last XMAS) and damn them, they had to come out with the frikkin Z1 a few months later.

I'm JONESING for this puppy. My local dealer will get me one for $2K installed. Still waiting for the new Clifford alarms to ship (May 15th) since it's already paid for...

Anyone wanna buy a 6 month old D1? Told him to get me around $750 for it...

Rick
I know-it sucks doesn't it and the spouse in my case is totally not understandering about my desire to upgrade

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone installed aftermarket nav???

Quick Reply: Anyone installed aftermarket nav???