Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Air Charger Works Big Time!!! 489rwhp

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 05:29 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Air Charger Works Big Time!!! 489rwhp

Picked my car up from the Vette Doctors yesterday. I wasn't ready to go for the headers yet as I wanted to get used to the power of the car first. I decided to just go with their Air Charger System and a tune.

First...the numbers!
Stock---------461.5hp--439tq
w/Air Charger--475hp----448tq
w/Air Charger & Tune--------488.7----460.5tq

The quality of the product is excellent. You can't even tell anything is installed looking under the hood. There's zero chance of it picking up any water. I drive my car every day even in the rain and I have no concern at all.

As for the sensitive mass airflow sensor the car idles perfectly....no "bucking" at even at low RPM's. I did everything I could driving slow in 1st...bogging out the engine..ect. The car drives perfectly. As for the drive you can really feel the difference. I figured starting with 500hp that 30hp wouldn't make much of a difference...well it does.

I pulled onto the highway today hard through 1st and 2nd. 2nd felt like the clutch slipped....I was pissed. I pulled back around onto the same ramp and I found two wide black lines about 50 feet in length. It would seem the clutch was fine...the tires were spinning hard through second. I've never had that happen before. Remember the first time you wound out third gear in this car to redline and you were like "Oh My God"...well it's even crazier now.

$299 for the air charger...no "z06 surcharge".

So $600 and I'm putting out more power than a lot of guys with headers. I couldn't be any more pleased with the whole setup. Can't wait to pick up their American Racing headers and put out well over 500 to the wheels.

P.S....no games were played here like some people. Stock Air Filter was in place the entire time. Air Charger...Fuse Pulled...Conservative 12.5 tune..that's it!

Let me know if anyone has any questions or needs any pictures posted.

I'm going driving.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:38 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! What a return for the Dollar Did they say wether the #'s would go up more with ecm learning or does the tune do that?I am asking because when I had the cats and exhaust put on my SRT10 each pull got stronger and I was told the computer was learning the change.I got it in ink so I guess it really happened.

Congrats! Keep us posted
Old 04-12-2006, 06:01 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Now that's what I'm talking about, another Air-Charger equipped Z heading into the 500rwhp zone. You will hit the 500rwhp plus with the American Racing LT's for sure...heck, you are only 11rwhp away! Say bye bye to your rear tires, if not already.

21st Century did the same mods to mines, (VD LT headers w/CATS, Air-charger, 160* stat and tune)...bam 500 plus rwhp. It freaking pulls and pulls. It seems that the air breathing capabilities of the Air-Charger is a perfect match to the exhaust flow characteristics of the American Racing Headers.

Outnumbered, I think you have an excellent point, the car does feel stronger and stronger, it's learning I guess.

Wow. All this power and with all the amenities, what more can you ask for.

Enjoy it and please be safe
Old 04-12-2006, 07:08 PM
A427MAN
Pro

Very nice increase indeed!

Just curious though, ...it seems that your base is ~20hp more than the normal base dynos we've seen - around 442 rwhp.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:44 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Ogolden1
Very nice increase indeed!

Just curious though, ...it seems that your base is ~20hp more than the normal base dynos we've seen - around 442 rwhp.
I beat on it right off the museum parking lot. Maybe that's why I pulled that Ford GT on Sunday while it was still stock.

Yea 460rwhp isn't the norm for a stock car. But there have been several people in the past to post those kind of numbers and more in stock form. Never the less I made nearly 30rwhp for $600. I'd take that deal all day long.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:14 AM
A427MAN
Pro

Originally Posted by phantasms
Nevertheless, I made nearly 30rwhp for $600. I'd take that deal all day long.
So, you're saying they sold you the Air Charger ($299) and installed it, AND tuned it w/ Dynos for only $300 more!???

Damn! That's a GREAT DEAL!
Old 04-13-2006, 02:51 AM
Mako7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by phantasms
I beat on it right off the museum parking lot. Maybe that's why I pulled that Ford GT on Sunday while it was still stock.

Yea 460rwhp isn't the norm for a stock car. But there have been several people in the past to post those kind of numbers and more in stock form. Never the less I made nearly 30rwhp for $600. I'd take that deal all day long.
Dynos are tuning tools. Even though the dynos are supposed to be corrected for conditions, they just are not, even within a single manufacturer like Dynojet. The results just differ too much. For example, we have SEVERAL posts where different tuners installing air intakes/changers and/or doing computer tuning on otherwise stock C6Zs are exceeding dynos by C6Zs with headers AND computer tuning. Does anyone really believe such results? That said, successive pulls by the same car on the same dyno before and after mods are useful to gauge any progress.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:20 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Mako7
Dynos are tuning tools. Even though the dynos are supposed to be corrected for conditions, they just are not, even within a single manufacturer like Dynojet. The results just differ too much. For example, we have SEVERAL posts where different tuners installing air intakes/changers and/or doing computer tuning on otherwise stock C6Zs are exceeding dynos by C6Zs with headers AND computer tuning. Does anyone really believe such results? That said, successive pulls by the same car on the same dyno before and after mods are useful to gauge any progress.
I agree. I'm more impressed with my 30rwhp gain than the final number. My old C5Z06 came up to 390 rwhp at Vette Doctors with some mods. That car I ran on a dyno at a few shops and car shows. The results were always the same or a bit higher.

If there's anyone on Long Island that is willing to dyno it for free I'll swing by.

-Gene
Old 04-13-2006, 08:45 AM
quimbo
Drifting

Congrats looks like Carmen and Dennis have worked there
magic again nice gains

QUIMBO SEEYAAAH
Old 04-13-2006, 11:37 AM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Mako7
Great point Mako7. That is why I like to see my car run on the dyno first, then allow cool off time, make whatever modification(s) then pull again to see if HP changes took place and by how much. I have spent lot's of money and time doing this procedure ensuring that I was getting what was claimed by some companies.

If I were to share some of my findings publicly through the years, even going back to my Mustang racing days, I believe that I would find myself on the other end of a sniper rifle.

My advise to all, ask questions, investigate/do your homework, don't believe everything you read...there is a lot of BS floating around.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:44 PM
MasterVette
Instructor

Gene
Old 04-13-2006, 07:54 PM
0Carmen@TheVetteDoctors
Former Vendor

Location: Amityville 2010 & 2011 NMCA Late Model EFI Champions BEST Service & the BEST prices on the EastCoast

Gene
How's the car. I can't wait to in stall our headers on it.
Give me a call when your ready.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:41 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Does this fit a non Z06 C6?

Tom
Old 04-14-2006, 10:42 AM
MasterVette
Instructor

I think it's only for a new ZO6
Old 04-14-2006, 12:01 PM
forhamilton
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great numbers Phantasms. Can't wait to get mine!
Old 04-16-2006, 05:53 PM
RABBIDZ06
Intermediate

Carmen did my car months ago and im putting 486 to the tire on an 03 z06.. Car is all motor. as far as games go, Never. Not only have i gotten to know him on a professional level, But a personal one as well and the guy will go the distance to take care of you..

Congratts with the power. I think i saw you on the pike a few weeks Launching the car from 1st to 2nd and it screamed..Nice car ,, and good luck..

Eric..

Get notified of new replies

To Air Charger Works Big Time!!! 489rwhp

Quick Reply: [Z06] Air Charger Works Big Time!!! 489rwhp