Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 Targa has begun

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 05:29 PM
lt1george
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z06 targa

John, Great job, super pictures. Thanks.Save the Wave.>George
Old 04-02-2006, 06:00 PM
wotz06
Instructor

I'm going to have to go with Ranger on this one.

Plus, I really don't see why anyone would want a Z06 with no top because it's pretty easy to mod a C6 and have it just as powerful with no roof, and if you want to argue with the whole "It won't affect it too much in the handling and structural rigidity department" well... as stated by Ranger there have been previous C6Z06s with cracked CV joints and even though this AL frame is a great base frame as far as rigidity goes, you take the top off of anything and you won't have the exact same performance.

And another thing, does anyone else think of this as almost disgraceful because the magnesium roof structure is advertised as one of the integral parts of this great automobile, not to mention the structural rigidity.

my .02
Old 04-02-2006, 06:04 PM
Hartley
Instructor

Originally Posted by wotz06

Plus, I really don't see why anyone would want a Z06 with no top because it's pretty easy to mod a C6 and have it just as powerful with no roof, and if you want to argue with the whole "It won't affect it too much in the handling and structural rigidity department" well... as stated by Ranger there have been previous C6Z06s with cracked CV joints and even though this AL frame is a great base frame as far as rigidity goes, you take the top off of anything and you won't have the exact same performance.

And another thing, does anyone else think of this as almost disgraceful because the magnesium roof structure is advertised as one of the integral parts of this great automobile, not to mention the structural rigidity.

my .02
Didn't your mother ever teach you if you don't have nothing poitive to say it might be better to say nothing. Well written post BTW.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:24 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

John Caravaggio's shop does extraordinary work. Everyone knows that. And I am by no means trying to diminish that.

Going back to my original post.

Originally Posted by Ranger
...The owner of the C6Z06 targa version ought to refrain from putting sticky tires on the rear of the car with the roof off.

I say that because of the inherent tendancy of the car to (1) squat on launch when traction is good and (2) flex the tranny-differential UPWARD under those conditions. This, coupled with the loss of some rigidity from the absense of the roof, will increase the likelihood of the differential components striking the under-carriage. When that happens, parts break.

Just a cautionary note....
Later in the thread I clarified the breakage that has occurred already.

With way more than 10 C6Z06s (AL frame) with shattered CV joint housings from simple strong 1-2 shifts with the roof in tact, you (DDSLT5) wish to assure everyone that your roof-out in another platform (steel frame)proves that the C6Z has no issues with the roof out....

Pretty unwise statement...and not much assurance....
I'm only saying, if the roof is out of a C6Z06, I'd suggest staying off drag radials unless you want to join the list of owners who've broken CV joint housings.

Ranger
Old 04-02-2006, 06:37 PM
90 Corvette ZR-1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by wotz06

my .02

I actually find it a slap in the face to the corvette the have the roof be made of anything other then fiberglass or CF.

As far as any problems with taking the top off, I guess time will tell. Plus, it's not like there aren't ways to add the rigidity back to the car with the top off.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:18 PM
Z06Doc
Racer

Personally, I think the more options/variations/factory personalizations for the Z06 the better. GM should offer the car with lots of customizing potential (e.g. wide variety of paint colors, choice of exotic interior materials, etc.). Different body styles (FRC, fastback, targa, vert, etc) are a natural extension of this market philosophy. However, if that were my car, I'd be kinda nervous right now regarding the long-term impact of "de-roofing" upon the durability of the aluminum chassis. I'm guessing a bent aluminum frame is not an easy fix. Nevertheless, hats off to the shops willing to push the envelope and give us what GM won't.

PS Try South Florida Mr. Caravaggio - it dovetails well with your expansion plan - lots and lots of vettes and wealthy potential clients.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:15 PM
Corvettes White
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by John Caravaggio
Florida and Texas are the spots that I was considering and yes we would sell all the parts through this location.
Just hanging out here reading posts from time ot time, I think the boys in Texas spend more money on there cars than the ones in Florida. I would go where the money is. George
Old 04-02-2006, 11:51 PM
FFCobra
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

When I'm done i will weigh the car and tell you how much we have added.

I'm trying to bring the cost in at $5500.00 but I will see when we are done.

I have one more question to ask, I'm thinking of setting up a location in the US to do our conversions. I'm thinking somewhere in the south part or the States. What do you guys think, would that make it more attractive for you guys to have someone closer where you can have these conversions done?
I'm near Atlanta and would be on the list if it were not for the shipping cost, shipping time, and possible shipping damage. Set up in the south and put me on your list. I'll be the first!

- Bill
Old 04-03-2006, 01:52 AM
Nitrodamus
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Florida and Texas are the spots that I was considering and yes we would sell all the parts through this location.
I vote for Texas or maybe Arizona... pretty much central to all locations.

Plus, I'll sign up for a conversion!!
Old 04-03-2006, 02:48 PM
CFRA_7
Instructor

Put the ship in Las Vegas or Arizona. You'll pick up all the California cars and that's where the big money is.....
Old 04-03-2006, 09:19 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Yes, the disposable incomes and car nuts are out west, specifically Cali. and more specifically SoCal.

Same for your targa conversions. You will see the most interest in the dry western climates, John. If you survey targa use on this forum among Coupe owners, you see biggest use out west.

That said, Texas is much more business friendly and is central to most people. For example, I am in SoCal but would have little problem bringing you a car in Tx. ( would of course prefer SoCal )

I am an example of a customer who would have done your targa conversion on my '02 Z06 had you been closer. We discussed your kit by phone, but the DIY route just seemed too risky to me and you had no one out here to "represent". Had you had a Tx shop, that would have been a no-brainer.

I would add, however, that this would have to be a full shop with services of the quality you provide in Can, not just a retail parts outlet. You have an outstanding reputation, built on the OEM quality of your work, not the parts. Just selling parts would lead to trouble, IMO.

Just my $0.02, of course.

Last edited by TTRotary; 04-03-2006 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:51 AM
Mike Z06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Very nice, and VERY tempting!
Old 04-06-2006, 06:55 PM
RyanITV
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mike Z06
Very nice, and VERY tempting!
I agree. My VY daily driver is at the dealer right now for a set LG headers and new wheels (competition grey). As it's fairly nice out today, I took the NSX to work - top out. I'd love the same thing in the Z06.

The NSX (all aluminum) does have some minor flex with the top out, but it tightens right up with the top in. I only notice it when putting it through its paces on some winding back roads in the region - you'll get the occasional squeak from the engine cover or back hatch.

I do plan on attending a few HPDEs (Summit Point, Watkins Glen) this year; that's one of the main reasons I bought the Z06. I don't really have an interest in drag racing it - not my thing, though I do enjoy watching it.

I'd be interested in knowing if the mod was easily reversible (ie, put the OEM magnesium frame/roof assembly back in the weekend before an event). 99% of the time, I drive the car from home to my office (3 miles each way) and in the summer, it's bumper to bumper beach traffic. A removable top would rock - especially if I can do it myself with the help of some people that I've worked with on other project cars I've built.

If it's a kit, reversible and doesn't require shipping the car to some far-off state, sign me up.

Ryan
Old 04-06-2006, 08:19 PM
03QuicksilverZ06
Burning Brakes

With way more than 10 C6Z06s (AL frame) with shattered CV joint housings from simple strong 1-2 shifts with the roof in tact, you wish to assure everyone that your roof-out in another platform (steel frame)proves that the C6Z has no issues with the roof out....

Pretty unwise statement...and not much assurance.

Ranger
Hey Ranger..

I've been following your runs with your c5 z06 and now with your new car.. and with all your high speed runs with your c5 z06 and I couldn't believe you never broke a valve spring, I guess my point is that there are many c6 z06 owners have done strong 1-2 shifts without issues. Seems these types of issues are intermittant.

Anyways back to the thread, Nice job John , Caravaggio does some awesome work.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:17 AM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 999
Just hanging out here reading posts from time ot time, I think the boys in Texas spend more money on there cars than the ones in Florida. I would go where the money is. George
Texas is a great place to do business

Last edited by C6400hp; 04-07-2006 at 12:22 AM.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:47 AM
0spoiled996
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

If you were in florida, you would have all my mods i plan to do on my 06 coupe...all your fendors, brakes, interior in a heartbeat...shipping to canada is a little too much for me, and my rear would be numb from a drive like that! Florida sounds much better.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:05 AM
Joe0121
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
I have 850 hp - no problems whatsoever with the top off my coupe. So much for frame theories. Also - my ZR-1 has 700 hp, and yes, it flexes with the top out - does that prevent me from going WOT with the top out? Take a wild guess.
I'd say no.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Targa has begun

Old 04-07-2006, 11:25 AM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Norway
wow, it is really made as a standard C5 roof

Windows down please, on the next picture.

good work

Rune

Last edited by JETZ; 04-07-2006 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:54 AM
KurtinKC
Instructor

Originally Posted by EuG
Only because they usually weight extra 200-300lbs
Obviously, it won't be the case here.
I think you are overlooking how chassis flex can have an effect on acceleration. If the horsepower being produced is actually twisting the car, it's not being delivered to the pavement.

A car that does twist a lot can dramatically lower its e.t. by becoming more rigid. Surely you have seen a powerful drag car pulling just the driver side tire, or really twisting during a wheelstand, well, those car's are not setup correctly, and would be quicker if they were stiffer...assuming they did not add too much weight in doing so.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:06 PM
EuG
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KurtinKC
I think you are overlooking how chassis flex can have an effect on acceleration. If the horsepower being produced is actually twisting the car, it's not being delivered to the pavement.

A car that does twist a lot can dramatically lower its e.t. by becoming more rigid. Surely you have seen a powerful drag car pulling just the driver side tire, or really twisting during a wheelstand, well, those car's are not setup correctly, and would be quicker if they were stiffer...assuming they did not add too much weight in doing so.
In theory - yes, but come back to reality please.

C5/C6 chassis is so incredibly stiff (designed as convertible from the beginning FYI) it won’t be twisting anywhere.

If such a minor difference in stiffness would have such drastic effect, then C4s should literally disintegrate in front of our eyes as soon as you press GAS, right?
(C5 is 300% stiffer than C4)

Let’s get real please…

The only legitimate argument against removing top is possible long term effect on aluminum frame – but nobody knows for sure.

I, personally, think it probably won’t have any effect, but it’s purely a guess on my part.

I am pretty convinced that performance would be nearly identical though.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 Targa has begun