C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Idea for hood prop alternative

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 10:59 AM
hz900
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Idea for hood prop alternative

This may not belong in Tech performance, but I really didn't know where to put it. Don't flame me to hard for this either, its just an idea.

Ok so when I bought this project car, it had no hood and no hood prop so I was thinking since I don't have a prop anyway I might try somethng like this to be a little different. The guy I bought the hood from said he did something like this:

Rigged an actuator with an extending arm to where he could just pop the latches from inside the car and then flip a switch and the hood raise by itself. He cut a hole in the fender well so he could pull a pin on the rod to disconnect it from the hood in the event it wouldn't work he could still get the hood up.

My questions to you guys are:

1. Where to buy and what kind of actuator/lifting mechanism do you think would work
2. What kind of wiring am I looking at because it will have to have 3 speeds - up, down, stop
Old 03-22-2006, 11:05 AM
Jerris
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to hijack your thread but I have also thought of this and would love to see some pics, parts and electrical to do this. Perhaps with the ground wired through a spring switch so that the activators could not be activated with the hood latched down.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:26 PM
hz900
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerris
Not to hijack your thread but I have also thought of this and would love to see some pics, parts and electrical to do this. Perhaps with the ground wired through a spring switch so that the activators could not be activated with the hood latched down.

Well good atleast I know the thought isn't totally out there. I'm going to try to find the thread and name of the guy I bought my hood from (he is/was a forum member).

I don't even want it as fancy as you, just a 3 position toggle switch: down/stop/up.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:07 PM
redrose
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

w,w,grainger had 12v ''jacktuators'' last time i looked(been a while)

or you could get real fancy with a mercury marine outbard motor ''trim pump'' and cylinders--you could lift your motor out with those things
Old 03-22-2006, 06:07 PM
The Green Hornet
Melting Slicks

Location: Everyone needs something to believe in, I believe I'll have another beer. Wisconsin
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

It's a great idea, know what would be way cooler, same idea only controlled with a wireless remote. Pop the hood latch, get out of the car, walk a few steps away, turn and press the remote

Last edited by The Green Hornet; 03-22-2006 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:08 AM
The Green Hornet
Melting Slicks

Location: Everyone needs something to believe in, I believe I'll have another beer. Wisconsin
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Going up

Get notified of new replies

To Idea for hood prop alternative

Quick Reply: Idea for hood prop alternative