Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dad passed away, now restoring 69 L88

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 09:09 PM
1ARACE
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Dad passed away, now restoring 69 L88 (have pics now!)

I'm new to these forums, but found it doing some research on the car. As title says, my dad passed away Nov 29, 2005 (our deer hunting week ) , 1 week shy of 52, i'm 28. Now I have his car and I want to get it running again. The vette has been covered and garaged for prob last 25 years and has 32,693 original miles on it.

When my dad bought the car he pulled the orginal motor, replaced the hood and set them off the side. He put a 396 in it and replaced hood with L88 hood. I found original 3919840 heads and the Muncy M21 hidden away, both look brand new, like never installed.

The car is mint condition. I was sitting in it today and the interior is seriously like it was never drove, ever, it still smells like a new car almost. But the sub-frame/undercarriage is a bit rusted and the paint (tuxedo black on black) has a few spider cracks in it. Sadly the cover came off at some point and the damn cats have been walking all over it !!! It wasn't 100% protected from the elements so has some rust. My dad even removed the heat shields off the side pipes after he got it, so he didn't tarnish them , found them in another safe spot along with the original hood .

I have the vin # 194379S716433 and the stamp on block deck is T0207LR 19S716433, and there is no sticker on top of the gas tank and the sticker on driver side firewall is illegible. But is has T-tops, luggage rack, flip up head lights, looks like full guage package and console lights, 4 speed, original rims (probably tires too, lol), beauty rings and rally caps. Has only De Fog. De Ice and Air. I haven't got it to a spot to get it in the air to check the chassis for any numbers yet.

I do know he bought it in summer of 1973 from a local dealer with minimal mileage (from title). I am searching high and low for the original invoice, window sticker, or owners manual...I know it has to be around somewhere, but it's not looking good so far.

Sadly, a certain person stole a bunch of BB parts, from where my dad kept it all, and I'm pretty sure he got the orginal intake and 3-deuce carb.

The car was my dad's pride and joy, but he never drove it, so I want to do the car justice and bring it out for people to actually see instead of being hidden away under a cover in the garage.

So i'm kinda stuck at this point as what to do. I know the car is vaulable for what it is and I do plan to do a frame off resto, but skeptical of any paint work till I know what the car 'actually' is. I'd appreciate any feedback to this situation. I figured I may get some good feeback from the C3 enthusiast's

Edit: Posted few pictures, updated what I know, and made website with detailed photos of the car. http://www.stingray.741.com/

Edit: Thanks for all the great info, it's an L71.

Last edited by 1ARACE; 03-25-2006 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:17 PM
The Ram
Racer

do a frame off chief...my father die in a motorcycle accident in Oct 05 (45 and im 22)..i inherited a 1980 L-82 from him... im in the middle of a frame off resto (search for my Follow me Post w/pics)...we were going to do a father son resto on it...well now its just me...and i know i am doing my father proud, and i know when im done i will be able to proudly say that i did this with my blood sweat and tears in his memory..and be able to drive it in the beautiful cloudless days and have him riding with me shotgun...so my best advice, do a body off and do it in his memory so you know your blood sweat and tears are in it! god bless you and your family, and father...
Old 03-20-2006, 09:20 PM
LittleJake
Melting Slicks

Sorry about your dad, I couldnt imagine having to go through that even though one day I know I will.

Post the VIN, trim tag, block numbers/suffix codes, and any codes from the heads, trans, etc etc and people will decipher them for you. I actually have fun looking that kind of stuff up.

You got a lot of knowlege in these forums and everyone will be more than willing to give you advice. Sounds like a nice car, how about posting some pics for everyone to see?

If you want to thin out the parts you can also sell them on the forum to other members who will put them to good use.

Good luck and POST SOME PICS! lol
Old 03-20-2006, 09:25 PM
Star79
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're sitting on a gold mine if it's a real L88. Poke around some Chevy and/or Vette type forums and eBay to get the original parts, they'll be crazy expensive but will increase the value of your car (again, if real and original).

You can decode the VIN here:

http://100megsfree4.com/corvette/1960/vet69.htm

69 L-88s are going for....are you sitting down....200-300K
Old 03-20-2006, 10:55 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

sorry about your Dad and good luck on the restoration
Old 03-20-2006, 10:56 PM
The Ram
Racer

st louis assembly plant build number 16433, someone correct me if im wrong..its what i gathered from another post...
Old 03-20-2006, 11:13 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about your dads passing.

I see you listed ac/heat in you list of options, They didn't offer AC with the L88 and I think though I'm not positive that the L88 was a heater delete vehicle as well.

Either way it sounds like a great Vette to have, good luck with it.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:16 PM
Go Vette Go
Red Road Warrior

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 284 Likes on 201 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11, '15, '19

Originally Posted by 1ARACE
It is a real L88, vin# 194379S716433. I checked that link, still don't understand completely, like what the S16433 means, would like to know a bit of the history of it tho.
The S16433 is a derivative of the VIN#. You should see it on the front right pad on the original engine and on the transmission.

There are several books out there to help you, Get an AIM (Assembly Instruction Manual), NCRS has a 196801982 Specifications Guide that can help with the numbers and the NCRS Judging Guide for some very specific guidance. Doesn't mean you have to restore to their standards - just good info.

Sorry for you loss!

John
Old 03-20-2006, 11:20 PM
Sandiego70
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your Dad, it is togh to loose a dad. I lost my dad a fews years back and I also realized I was not getting any younger. Thus I went out and bought what I always wanted! A chrome bumper C-3. Great car you have, get it appraised and insured before your talk to much about it.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:22 PM
Muddywaters
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My condolence ... 51 thats my age...so young. Needless to say, there's a whole family here that can help you on your restore. Good luck!!
Old 03-20-2006, 11:42 PM
corvetteatv7
Pro

Sorry bout your dad. He did leave you one heck of a car. All money aside, that is an awesome car to own. Good luck with it.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:48 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by 1AR

But is has T-tops, luggage rack, black on black, ......., ac/heat but no power windows lol.

So i'm kinda stuck at this point as what to do. I'd appreciate any feedback to this situation. I figured I may get some good ideas from the C3 enthusiast's
I think you have a very valuable car. However, if it has AC its not a L88. Most of the L88's did not have heaters. However, I believe some 69 L88 's did have heaters. I think if GM did decide to put heaters in some L88's, it was because you need a heater to make the windshield defrosters work. Also, that luggage rack looks a little unusual for an L88! Anyhow, once again, I think you're setting on a pretty valuable car. Expecially since it was your father's.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:01 AM
Warhead
Racer

Sorry to hear about your father.

Mine passed away last Sept and I also ended up with his vette.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:58 AM
RHD '68 L89
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry about your Dad.
First prove it is an L88 before you do ANYTHING to the car. Drop the fuel tank and look for the broadcast sheet (also known as the tank sticker) on top. It will tell you the original options fitted to the vehicle including the engine. Such a low mileage vehicle the tank sticker should be intact. If the tank sticker is missing then get someone like Kevin Mackay to inspect the car. He will be able to tell you if it is genuine or not.

69 L88's all had heaters, no A/C. Required for the demist function. Radio delete block off plate, no ignition shielding, 6500 redline on the tach. 69 engine details cannot be decoded from the VIN. That came in about 71 or 2.
The original engine block will have the last part of the chassis VIN stamped into the pad. This matches the motor to the chassis. It will also have a code to determine if it is an L88 motor.
If you still have the original block then that goes a long way to restoring the car. All the other bits can be bought, sure, but at a price. 840 heads are Cast Iron and not correct for this application. you need Alloy 074's or the 842's (i think) for an early 69 model.
Oh, and L88's had an M22 Muncie box as standard. A few of the 69s had HD turbo 400s for drag purposes. VIN derivative is also stamped on the box.

Search the shed and post the numbers here if you can't decode them yourself. If genuine, the car will put kids through college or buy a new home.

Last edited by RHD '68 L89; 03-21-2006 at 01:06 AM.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:27 AM
standup
Drifting

.....sorry to hear about your Dad.....

I agree as above that you shouldn't do anything to it until you know what you have....

You should check to see if your Dad kept the original dealer invoice, Protecto Plate or any other documentation....also the smog sticker on the drivers firewall has a 2 letter code that denotes the engine type; CN for L71, L89 & L88:

Even if it's not an L88, a low milage, unrestored BB is a desirable Vette....

Good luck and let us know how you're getting on
Old 03-21-2006, 08:50 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Sorry about your dad. About the car - your Dad was 14 years old when it was built. If you can prove it was an original L-88 that would add roughly $100,000 to the value of the car, (maybe $200k, just trying to put it in perspective) so you see how important it is to actually prove this fact.

The vin will give you no help in proving it was an L-88. The vin does not tell you any options. It only tells you it is a coupe (which you knew already! ) and the "S" means it was made in St Louis, but all of the 69 vettes were made there, and they were numbered in the order they were built, so your vette was number 16,433 of around 38,000 total 69 vettes built. So, you can also figure out approximately when your vette was built from the vin number.

There are many subtle clues that will tell you the car was an original L-88. Only 116 of these 1969 vettes had this engine from the factory. For example, there would be no radio in an original L-88, only a plastic plate where the radio would otherwise be. The 69 L-88s did have a heater. They did need a defroster to be street legal. Good luck with the car, and post pics if you get a chance!

Last edited by PRNDL; 03-21-2006 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:24 AM
Jims79
Safety Car

Sorry to hear about your dad. Even more sorry that he didn't get to use his vette in the last 25 yrs. Do it right frame off, use it & keep it for your son.

Get notified of new replies

To Dad passed away, now restoring 69 L88

Old 03-21-2006, 11:03 AM
mpett1
Pro

Sorry about your POP brotha. My niece and nephew both died in a car accendent in sept 05 they were 18 and 19 years old. That is what made me buy my 70 vette. I figured what the hell you never know whats going to happen in life and just did it. Keep your head high and make your pop proud. You will see him again.....

Cant wait to see these pic's.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:34 AM
corvetteload
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

PRNDL you stated "so your vette was number 16,433 of around 38,000 total 69 vettes built. So, you can also figure out approximately when your vette was built from the vin number." What's to figure, look at the build tag on the door post!!!! It will tell you exactly when the car was built.
Also seems the L88 is a myth, lot of disturbing clues in the orig post (like the "lol's")................................ B
Old 03-21-2006, 12:40 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Neat car. Hope you enjoy fixing it up. I enjoyed doing mine.

Was black/black an option? I thought black exterior was not available until later C3s?

Quick Reply: Dad passed away, now restoring 69 L88