C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Opti-Spark replacement Which one to get? need input

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 07:19 AM
Corvette1996LT1
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Opti-Spark replacement Which one to get? need input

I've got a friend which has a 1994 Corvette that is getting ready to replace his Opti-Spark. He is looking at the brands that have the added venting system to help reduce moisture inside the unit. Only problem is we are not sure which would be the best to get. Here are the units he is looking at. Has anyone used the following brands?

1. Accel
2. MSD
3. Dynotec

Thanks for any feedback
Old 03-19-2006, 09:29 AM
SK.LT1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure,but I believe that the stock replacement ones from GM are updated with improvements and also vented.A whole lot cheaper.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:36 PM
Corvette1996LT1
Burning Brakes

SK.LT1.. Thanks for the reply

WOW, I can't believe that no one has any more info then this on Opti- Spark here at the C4 Section.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:00 PM
bigwave71
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

havent had any problems with the stock one.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:32 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Actually, there've been lots and lots of opinions and comments. But you'd need to do a search to find them.

There's also Dynaspark under new management, MSDs costing a lot, Accel being negatively touted, etc. You just have to search a bit.

I'd suspect that peop are just a bit tired out of the Opti question this weekend, maybe?

PS new owners of Dynspark seem very much more friendly and responsive to potential/existing customers. That's all I can tell from their posts.

Good luck.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:12 PM
MikeC4
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LT4CompYell
I'd suspect that peop are just a bit tired out of the Opti question this weekend, maybe?
Good luck.
do a search on this forum for "optispark". This topic is

but i do not think that OEM replacement Opti's for Gen1 have the vented Cap....

Old 03-19-2006, 06:02 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 568 Likes on 443 Posts

quote:

I havent had any problems with the stock one

-----------------------------------------------

Wow. Thats probably a first. I bought a cream-puff 25k mile 93 vert in 2000.

I figured theres no way anythings wrong with mine. Then suddenly, when it was hot, it would start missing, hesitating, bucking, wouldnt go past 115 MPH, etc. -type issues.

Sure enough my rotor was toast. All kinds of rust in there.

I upgraded to a vented cap set up.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:15 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by MikeC4

Also,select archive when doing a search, as it gives you much more information.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:56 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I'll make it easy for you here are 227 threads on this subject

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sear...on&forum_id=19
Old 03-19-2006, 07:43 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by Redeasysport
I'll make it easy for you here are 227 threads on this subject

I will one up ya 346!!

Old 03-19-2006, 08:57 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once

Originally Posted by Corvette1996LT1
I've got a friend which has a 1994 Corvette that is getting ready to replace his Opti-Spark. He is looking at the brands that have the added venting system to help reduce moisture inside the unit. Only problem is we are not sure which would be the best to get. Here are the units he is looking at. Has anyone used the following brands?

1. Accel
2. MSD
3. Dynotec

Thanks for any feedback
I just had a dynaspark installed in my 93. Dynaspark is the new manufacturer of the dynaspark distributor. It is more expensive than the OEM opti but is a much better quality, and is rebuildable. Many members have used one as a replacement and have been very pleased with it.

I don't know about the Accel or MSD and I'm not sure either one is even available yet.

The OEM replacements are no better or worse than the originals, and for 92 - 94 are not vented. That upgrade came in 1995 and the later models are not interchangable with the earlier ones without doing some other modifications.

Last edited by jrzvette; 03-19-2006 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:19 PM
Corvette1996LT1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MikeC4

Just to let you know I did do a search on the forum for Opti-Spark and most did not talk about the change at dynotec in any detail nor did I find out as much on the other brands listed above as I would like. I was hoping to get a few replys from some customers since Dynotec changed hands.

LT4CompYell Thanks for the info regarding Accel and MSD, It's nice to get a good info reply.

Thanks

Last edited by Corvette1996LT1; 03-19-2006 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:22 PM
Corvette1996LT1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jrzvette
I just had a dynaspark installed in my 93. Dynaspark is the new manufacturer of the dynaspark distributor. It is more expensive than the OEM opti but is a much better quality, and is rebuildable. Many members have used one as a replacement and have been very pleased with it.

I don't know about the Accel or MSD and I'm not sure either one is even available yet.

The OEM replacements are no better or worse than the originals, and for 92 - 94 are not vented. That upgrade came in 1995 and the later models are not interchangable with the earlier ones without doing some other modifications.
Good info Thanks I will pass this along to my friend
Old 03-19-2006, 10:38 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bigwave71
havent had any problems with the stock one.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:00 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

IMHO . Dynaspark had its issues, customer service. Now the new company is great, and I believe you get a very good product. The cap is OEM, but the rotor is modified to withstand higher rpm. The case is sealed very well etc etc.
OEM, if you have no modifications, get an OEM, as they are cheaper, if you search.
MSD. I think MSD, whenever they finally arrive, will be the one to beat. Everything is new, and it is adjustable for timing, if thats a perk for ya. MSD builds pretty darn good stuff, so when they hit the market, they will be the one to beat.
Accell, well thats a new one, as no one really has even used them. There reputation is average for most parts.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:54 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Yeah if you wanted specific Info just ask.No one has an MSD or Accel.I have a Dynaspark and for a Gen I it is the only way to go.Now if you look at the searches we listed you WILL find all the current info available.Oh and I would not want to be a The first person to try an Accel Opti.You have to understand this subject has been beat to death and most members who know are getting tired of answering this question because we know the answer is in the search.Try reading them the knowledge you seek is there and debated over and over and over.....
Old 03-20-2006, 07:27 AM
Corvette1996LT1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by steve40th
IMHO . Dynaspark had its issues, customer service. Now the new company is great, and I believe you get a very good product. The cap is OEM, but the rotor is modified to withstand higher rpm. The case is sealed very well etc etc.
OEM, if you have no modifications, get an OEM, as they are cheaper, if you search.
MSD. I think MSD, whenever they finally arrive, will be the one to beat. Everything is new, and it is adjustable for timing, if thats a perk for ya. MSD builds pretty darn good stuff, so when they hit the market, they will be the one to beat.
Accell, well thats a new one, as no one really has even used them. There reputation is average for most parts.
Thanks that what I was wanting to find out Good info
Old 03-20-2006, 07:38 AM
Corvette1996LT1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Redeasysport
Yeah if you wanted specific Info just ask.No one has an MSD or Accel.I have a Dynaspark and for a Gen I it is the only way to go.Now if you look at the searches we listed you WILL find all the current info available.Oh and I would not want to be a The first person to try an Accel Opti.You have to understand this subject has been beat to death and most members who know are getting tired of answering this question because we know the answer is in the search.Try reading them the knowledge you seek is there and debated over and over and over.....
Yea, I should have said in my first post I'm wanting feedback from only people who have bought Dynaspark, MSD, Accel and want to know about Dynaspark's new owners and if any one has bought MSD or Accel yet. Also if they are happy with the service and the product.

You hit the nail on the head when you said it has been debated to death. I'm not looking for a debate looking for good info from current customers on support of the product and if they had issues That was the problem with most the post I found more debating who was right more then giving info.LOL. I was looking for newer customers AND info on if they had had problems with service or the product of the three.

Again Thanks Guys this is good stuff I will pass to my buddy with the 94

Last edited by Corvette1996LT1; 03-20-2006 at 09:23 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Opti-Spark replacement Which one to get? need input

Quick Reply: Opti-Spark replacement Which one to get? need input