Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 06:51 PM
ZBlack
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brakes

After 3 track sessions I replaced my OEM pads with Carbo Tech Race Pads for $800. At the track they are great but around town they are extremely loud. So, I went to my local dealer for replacement OEM pads for around town and he told me that the cost of the OEM pads front and back was $1100 with labor is this correct?

My replacement pads for my Porsche GT2 ceramic brakes only cost me $1500!!!

How about the cost of new OEM rotors and idea? How about other rotor options?

Are the pads easy to put in and take out for track use? What tools do I need??
Old 03-18-2006, 07:39 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBlack
So what is so terrible than about a Z06's pads costing $400 less? Try replacing one of those ceramic rotors.

The pads come out by removing the bolts from the side of the caliper, then slide them out the same way as on your Porsche.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:42 PM
Ego-Trip
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8 Veteran

I cant speak for what the installed price would be but you can buy the Z06 padlets for about ~$500 for the fronts and rears.

It would probably be wise to familiarize yourself with the installation procedure and start doing it yourself.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:12 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

another reason guys are going with the StopTech brakes for the New Z.

pads are only a few hundred bucks
Old 03-18-2006, 08:20 PM
ZBlack
Intermediate

Are the Stop Tech Pads less noisy than the Carbo Tech pads? I want to be able to drive around town and not set off car alarms! That's why I want to have the OEM pads for everyday use and the Carbo Tech pads for track use.

I guess all I need is a 6mm Hex Socket Driver and 3/8 torque wrench to replace the pads is that correct? I want to change the pads for track days.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:23 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 597 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

Originally Posted by ZBlack
After 3 track sessions I replaced my OEM pads with Carbo Tech Race Pads for $800. At the track they are great but around town they are extremely loud. So, I went to my local dealer for replacement OEM pads for around town and he told me that the cost of the OEM pads front and back was $1100 with labor is this correct?

How about the cost of new OEM rotors and idea? How about other rotor options?

Are the pads easy to put in and take out for track use? What tools do I need??
NO Way
I just bought a full set from Gene at fred beans for $400 in change !

Pads are verry easy to do yourself
You need a #6 allen socket and just undo the bolts and slide out !

The pads come with new bolts if you need them
Here are some pics i took

Last edited by burtonbl103; 03-18-2006 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:25 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 597 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

I did hear that the Carbo techs are noisy as hell !!
Old 03-18-2006, 08:49 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by burtonbl103
I did hear that the Carbo techs are noisy as hell !!
Carbotechs are race pads. when race pads when driven easy and normal braking as on the street they will be noisy. When race pads are driven and braking is very hard, they are quite and work their best.

The Stoptech brakes use a starndard brake pad desigen that most brake manufactures make. Differnt compounds for different uses.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:15 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

Added to post#27 of the FAQ.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:30 PM
AaronM3C6
Heel & Toe

Default Carbotech pads come in 4 different compounds

[QUOTE=AU N EGL]Carbotechs are race pads. when race pads when driven easy and normal braking as on the street they will be noisy. When race pads are driven and braking is very hard, they are quite and work their best.

As per website, different compounds include Bobcat, Panther, Panther Plus etc.

Panther plus and more aggressive compounds are track pads (and are noisy).

I have Bobcats in my 06 Z06 and are intended for street. They are quiet, low dust and no squeel.

I am very happy with them.

They were approx $375 total for front and rear.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:33 AM
slgz06
Instructor

Keep in mind guys that aggressive track pads may not be as safe on the street as street pads. Typically when they are cold they do NOT work as well as a standard street pad and can noticeably increase your stopping distances.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:48 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Panther Plus are agressiver street pads and pheudo track pads. The XP-9 to XP12s are the track pads. Depending on what they make for the new 6-pot PBR caliper.

and yes track pads should not be used on the street as they require heat to work.

If some one said the "Bobcat" pad worked and was under $400 there you go.

Rember guys big motor lots of HP and TQ, dont wimp out on brake pads just because they make noise or dust. you need equal stopping power to the HP & TQ the Z makes.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:11 AM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by slgz06
Keep in mind guys that aggressive track pads may not be as safe on the street as street pads. Typically when they are cold they do NOT work as well as a standard street pad and can noticeably increase your stopping distances.
I am not sure which pads you are referring but if you take Wilwood pads which I use yes the race compounds do not have as high a coefficient of friction cold as hot but even their cold (100 degrees F) coefficient rating for all their race pads is over .4 whereas their "street" pads actualy have a lower coefficient at 100 degrees but do not gain as much with heat like a race pad. Wilwood pad info

I run EBC Greenstuff on the street and Wilwood C type on the track and I put the track pads on a few days before a track event and the race pads bite so much harder even cold than the "street" pads, on slow stops the front will often lock for a second when I apply the brakes as I am not use to the increased bite.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:54 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rgregory
I am not sure which pads you are referring but if you take Wilwood pads which I use yes the race compounds do not have as high a coefficient of friction cold as hot but even their cold (100 degrees F) coefficient rating for all their race pads is over .4 whereas their "street" pads actualy have a lower coefficient at 100 degrees but do not gain as much with heat like a race pad. Wilwood pad info

I run EBC Greenstuff on the street and Wilwood C type on the track and I put the track pads on a few days before a track event and the race pads bite so much harder even cold than the "street" pads, on slow stops the front will often lock for a second when I apply the brakes as I am not use to the increased bite.

Wilwood / Performance Friction race pads are no problem on the street. except for the MESS

Get notified of new replies

To Brakes

Quick Reply: [Z06] Brakes