Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

California Duster Myth or Truth

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 04:28 PM
U2bassAce
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Default California Duster Myth or Truth

Is it true the dirtier it gets the better? I have owned one for a year and it gets constant use. It is looking pretty dirty. Still picks up dust great.

Now I just bought a new black car and am a little worried about using the old CD on it. Almost bought a new one yesterday. But figured I would ask you all first.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:15 PM
ShockwaveGT
Drifting

Don't use it.

If you have white or silver...and the swirls don't show up it can work I suppose.

but I think part of why I ended up with so many swirls I had to machine polish out was because of my dust brush.

That whole "the dirtier they get the better" line is rediculous. Think about it...you think that the more dirt that thing has on it makes it better to slide against your delicate clear coat?

If you have black...do what I did...learn to deal with the dust until you wash it. Otherwise you'll end up with loads of swirls all over and to me, that's worse than dust that can come off with a wash.

Don't even bother buying a new one...bottom line...you don't want dust sliding over your clear coat at all...whether it's from a dirty brush or a new one.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:48 PM
DPG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

buy a new one if anything. I think that most of the people that have had success with these are the ones that use the duster on very light dust. Dust that has accumulated from the car just sitting in the garage or driveway. They never use it if the car has been out on the roads. I like quick detail better. It takes a couple min longer but looks just as good.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:43 PM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 402 Likes on 283 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I think you answered your own question....you said it's over a year old, getting pretty dirty and yet it still picks up dust.
I have had one for over 3 years. It gets used 3-4 times a week. It's blacker than hell but still works great.
You're fine, but if it will make you feel better spend the $14.00 and buy a new one. Just remember very little pressure and never in a circle.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:47 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

It is true, the dirtier the better. Just make sure you use common sense when you use it.

Use NO pressure, just the tips hit the paint.

Only use it if it is just a little dusty. After I drive I think it is usually too dirty to use it on. Great for when sitting in the garage and at shows.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:18 PM
Kevin V
Pro

The one I use most is about 5 years old and still works great and not one single swirl mark from it, ever.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:23 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Kevin V
The one I use most is about 5 years old and still works great and not one single swirl mark from it, ever.
Mine is about 15 years old. It is like twice the weight of the ones they sell now, super full.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:56 AM
U2bassAce
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

Here is what I do. My car is mostly a weekend or after work fun car! When it get's dusty, either from a dry weather cruise, garage dust, etc I pull out the California Duster and get the dust off. Then I go over the car with the Quick Detailer spray and a microfiber cloth. My C6 in one year and 6,000 miles has been officially washed only 3 times. Oh I should add I have about 6 coats of NXT on it.

Anyway the new car is black and the dust just shows like no other. Seems like there is 5 times more of it. It just does not feel right running the CD over the paint. Especially with it being pretty dang dirty looking!

Here is a pic of the new Black Beauty!!

Old 03-17-2006, 08:59 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is it true the dirtier it gets the better? TRUE

Car Duster:
The best known brand (California Car Duster) it can be used to remove pollen or light dust without causing scratches by applying very little surface pressure with the duster, dusting with long strokes in one direction only. For heavy dust or dirt use Quick Easy Wash (QEW)

Shake the duster occasionally to ensure any particles picked up will drop out rather than come to the surface while you’re using it. It important to use the duster only for the removal of dry surface dust, if the vehicle has oily road film, road tar, damp pollen or dust, etc the vehicle surface should be washed

Dust build-up-with low humidity conditions friction on the paint surface will cause static electricity (this is exacerbated by the use of polyester (nylon) Microfiber) resulting in dust attraction to the paint surface. Rinsing the surface with water or applying a quick detailer (QD) or use the CCD as stated above to remove dust

When the duster is first purchased it should be wrapped in newspaper (48 hours) to remove any excess paraffin wax, the duster should not be washed, the dirtier it gets the better it works (I've been using mine now for almost five years without it being washed) http://www.calcarduster.com/faq.asp

Do not use – on a wet surface (even condensation) as this will cause streaking, or soon after driving as a hot surface will also cause streaking Alternative product-OXO Car Duster- http://www.autogeek.net
Old 03-17-2006, 01:46 PM
rm50
Melting Slicks

Received 202 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I have used one for years. I apply no pressure and just lightly let it touch the car. I generally use it for a car that has gotten dusty in the garage not for road dirt.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:10 PM
FSU Fan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by U2bassAce
Here is what I do. My car is mostly a weekend or after work fun car! When it get's dusty, either from a dry weather cruise, garage dust, etc I pull out the California Duster and get the dust off. Then I go over the car with the Quick Detailer spray and a microfiber cloth. My C6 in one year and 6,000 miles has been officially washed only 3 times. Oh I should add I have about 6 coats of NXT on it.

Anyway the new car is black and the dust just shows like no other. Seems like there is 5 times more of it. It just does not feel right running the CD over the paint. Especially with it being pretty dang dirty looking!

Here is a pic of the new Black Beauty!!

Quick Detailer Spray? Is that like the Zaino 6? And I am like you kept in garage and used weekends but can't believe cars only been washed three times. Did just buy the Zaino kit. So once you have your coats on you just wipe the whole car down without soap and water?

Lastly, just ordered a California Duster for a black C6. Now you guys have me thinking I wasted my money.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:22 PM
FIDOauto
Pro

From what I've understood 6 coats of NXT are as good as 1 coat due to the cleaning agents in the wax. (it removes the old and puts on a new one.)
Old 03-17-2006, 05:31 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FIDOauto
From what I've understood 6 coats of NXT are as good as 1 coat due to the cleaning agents in the wax. (it removes the old and puts on a new one.)
This is pretty much right.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:01 PM
yoman
Instructor

The dirtier the better doesn't make any sense to me!

Buy a new one.

Old 03-18-2006, 12:59 AM
Privetjet
Advanced

I use 6th gear to keep the dust off...
Old 03-18-2006, 01:03 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Have had my Ca-duster for 10 years now. Works great. As stated by the experts above, I don't apply ANY pressure, and only use it on the hood or trunk to remove dust (not road dirt) in straight lines back and forth front to back.

Regarding Zaino - yes, you can remove very light dust with Z6 and a cotton towel, but if the car is trulyl dirty, make sure to wash with soap and water to avoid causing scratches and swirls.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:30 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by yoman
The dirtier the better doesn't make any sense to me!

Buy a new one.

There is a parrafin wax on the duster which is what picks up dust. When new you can get some streaking from the excess parrafin wax. As it gets older and dirtier will stop streaking.

They also recommend you lay it out on newspaper when you buy it new to pull some of the excess wax out of the duster. This, combined with repeated use makes it work better and better.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:15 AM
RAGOVET
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by DPG
buy a new one if anything. I think that most of the people that have had success with these are the ones that use the duster on very light dust. Dust that has accumulated from the car just sitting in the garage or driveway. They never use it if the car has been out on the roads. I like quick detail better. It takes a couple min longer but looks just as good.
i agree
Old 03-19-2006, 02:26 PM
U2bassAce
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by FIDOauto
OK, so I guess "new" wax is not as good as old wax,. hmmmmmm

My routine is CD to remove dust and then QD. I don't drive it in the rain. If it does get dirtier than what that routine can handle I wash it. I drive it about 6000 miles a year and live in SoCal. Yes it's true I have only had to wash it 3 or 4 times.

Get notified of new replies

To California Duster Myth or Truth

Quick Reply: California Duster Myth or Truth