C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

66 One Piece Front End..Corvette Image quality?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 03:08 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Default 66 One Piece Front End..Corvette Image quality?

I am looking to purchase a one piece front end for a '66. I am wondering about the quality of the fiberglass from Corvette Image. I got one positive feedback from "FRAPPS" on another thread. Just wondering if anyone else has had any dealings with them?

p.s. FRAPPS, I see you live in California. Just wondering why you didn't purchase your front end from J & D Corvette in Bellflower, Ca.? They claim their fiberglass is the best available, but then again, so does Ecklers.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:21 PM
Rons65
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Call and discuss this front end with Howard at Howard's Corvettes in Mesa, AZ - 480-898-1900. He just put one of these on and had numerous issues - I also have another friend who experienced the same issue - however, I did not do it so please discuss with Howard his thoughts as he has been doing Vette fiberglass for years! He also could tell you the supplier who he has had the best luck with!

Good luck!
Old 03-11-2006, 03:29 PM
richscorvettes
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

We used the press molded component and jig pre-assembled nose from Corvette Image for our 63 and it was a high quality piece. We ran into very few issues mounting it and even the original hood lined up almost perfectly. Things can vary from car to car and you never know what work may have been done previously so there is always some fitting and alignment to do. But we were pleasantly surprised by how well this one fit.

Rich Lagasse
Old 03-11-2006, 04:27 PM
panchop
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

body shop used the Corvette Image fron t end on my 65. Belive they said to about 50 hours to get it on. lined up nice, still tooka lot off bondo to get it smooth like i wanted it.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:04 PM
66ragtop owner
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a Corvette Image completre front end on my car for about 5 years now. I think the quality of the piece is 1st rate. My body shop guy has done several one piece front ends and he says Corvette Image is the best.

A tip he told me when he orders the front end: he tells them NOT to glue the hood surround to the top of the inner fenders. He fits the front end with the hood on then glues them together. He said this is critical for a flush fit with the hood completely down both sides of the fender/hood line.

Brian
Old 03-12-2006, 10:56 PM
cheesecake
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used Corvette Image fronts on my last 4 restorations ( the last 2 years). Everyone had little bumps pop out after the car was painted. The one car was my personal car. Had to sand down my paint job down to bare glass and bake the front with heat lamps to try to remove any gas or solvents that were trapped in the fiberglass. According to Corvette Image, they recommend baking any new glass panel. Just do your homework before buying your front. Hate to see your beautiful fresh paint job turn out like mine. These were all mid-year fronts.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:24 AM
Frapps
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by buns
I am looking to purchase a one piece front end for a '66. I am wondering about the quality of the fiberglass from Corvette Image. I got one positive feedback from "FRAPPS" on another thread. Just wondering if anyone else has had any dealings with them?

p.s. FRAPPS, I see you live in California. Just wondering why you didn't purchase your front end from J & D Corvette in Bellflower, Ca.? They claim their fiberglass is the best available, but then again, so does Ecklers.
The only reason I used Corvette Image is because that is the company that my fiberglass guy uses. http://www.glassmandan.com/index.html
He has been using them for years and I had no doubt whatsoever that the product would the best value and quality.

I've been to J&D's and I personnelly did not see any capability to manufacture fiberglass panels/parts but I could have overlooked it.

Here's my 64 the day I brought it home (10-2003):

BTW, I'm extremely pleased with the final fit and it did take about 40 hours of work to get it all aligned and glued. Two things to remember; all new glass parts will have "issues" when being fitted to 40 year old cars and nothing cures glass better than sun and time. If you rush your glass/body work, you may see it in the paint later. My car sets outside in the sun when ever it's not being worked on.

Last edited by Frapps; 03-13-2006 at 09:30 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 66 One Piece Front End..Corvette Image quality?

Quick Reply: 66 One Piece Front End..Corvette Image quality?