C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Rust on the frame rails how bad.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 08:15 AM
Jims79
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rust on the frame rails how bad.

Hi I jacked my 66 coupe up yesterday to check on some rust I knew I had. What I found was some pretty bad rust on the drivers side frame right in front of the rear tire. I was able to pul big chucks of frame off to reveal a 4 inch hole. Can I cut out this section and replace it with the body on. I didn't want to get into a body off restoration right now but if that's the right way to do the repair then I will. Has anyone else had this problem.
Thanks
Jim
Old 03-05-2006, 10:17 AM
Allcoupedup
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jim, I feel your pain. Mine had rusted from the inside out and I was able to open a pin hole into a few holes the size of rasins. My holes are on the driver's side too. Personally, I would not want to repair this with the frame on becuase there is likely other rust that you cannot see. You don't have to do a full off body restoration to fix rust though. If you immunizize against project creep, you can remove the body, have the frame fixed, and drop the body back on.

Brian
Old 03-05-2006, 10:39 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,963 Likes on 1,055 Posts

If you immunizize against project creep,

Brian[/QUOTE]

"project creep" I like that one Brian. AND a strong will is necessary in order to harness it in.

If you are not careful, when the body comes off for the frame repair the full monty restoration will be ON ! !

Rich
Old 03-05-2006, 11:02 AM
steves65korvette
Racer

Default project creep

I can attest to the super natural "project creep phenom" I started to do just a few cosmetics,,,,replacing window felt/seals/window bumpers etc...i now am in the process of seat covers/carpet/arm rest/console and the list is growing!! Is there a known antidote??? Help......
Old 03-05-2006, 11:05 AM
61 Silver
Racer

Originally Posted by Jims79
Hi I jacked my 66 coupe up yesterday to check on some rust I knew I had. What I found was some pretty bad rust on the drivers side frame right in front of the rear tire. I was able to pul big chucks of frame off to reveal a 4 inch hole. Can I cut out this section and replace it with the body on. I didn't want to get into a body off restoration right now but if that's the right way to do the repair then I will. Has anyone else had this problem.
Thanks
Jim
I believe that you will have to remove the body for a correct repair. Most Corvette owners that I have talk with in reference to frame repair have had it tack welded to a jig or fixture to insure that it does not change shape or distort during the repair.

I purchased a 1963 SWC and I had thought I did a through inspection of the frame prior to purchase. It is amazing what type of repairs and camouflage these frames have had over the past 40 years. The 63 now sports a new frame as well as many other new parts.

I would take an awl or screw driver and throughly check the entire frame including all the cross-members.

Good Luck

Ray
Old 03-05-2006, 11:40 AM
Jims79
Safety Car

Thanks all. I will take your advise & lift the body off the frame. I do I need to disconnect to lift it 4 to 6 inchs so I can make the repairs paint the frame. Next week I'm bring it to a friends garage you has a lift to see just how bad the rust is. I'll take pic's thanks again
Old 03-05-2006, 11:43 AM
soppeng
Instructor

Jim, I've got a similar condition, so have been studying the best solution. You can get repair rail sections from several sources. One is Vette Products of Michigan - http://www.vetteproducts.net/
The side rails are two piece, welded together on top and bottom. To make the repair correctly, you will need to lift the body. While you could probably come up with a temporary patch with the body on, it would not fully correct the problem and you would need to go back in the future and do it right.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:05 PM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does it look like this. If you can reveal a 4 inch hole by picking at the metal my guess is that your frame is shot. The good news is that now you have a reason to do a frame off restoration.

Last edited by Corbrastang; 03-05-2006 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:20 PM
rgs
Drifting

Jim,
I had the same problem in the same place on my frame. Here is a picture of the repair. The kit I used I believe I got from Paragon (not sure, too many parts, from too many vendors!). It has 5 pieces, two frame section halves, frame channel connector, inner divider, and end cap. In addition to this, I replaced the body mount with a new one rather than use the old one that comes off with the rusty section. A couple words of warning. Notice the 2 x 2 steel tubing setting on the frame. It is actually welded to the frame holding it in alignment before cutting out the old section. This eliminates a bunch of headaches later. Also, I had a bare frame with no weight on it. You will have to support it in numerous places to reduce twisting that will be copied into the welded frame. As to doing it with the body on, I believe it can be done with lifting it a few inches, It will be obviously more difficult and time consuming to do correctly, but alot less time than pulling the body completely. Another thing, when I stripped my frame and set it on the shop floor, I found it was twisted from the torque of the BB over 1 1/2" just from the front end of the frame to the trailing arm mount. I had the frame straightened after I replaced the section and welded all the cracks I found.

Good luck
RGS

Link to my restoration progress http://pws.prserv.net/usinet.rstruve/

Old 03-06-2006, 08:35 AM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I had a similar situation in '91 with 'Old Blue'.
Because he was/is my daily driver we went ahead and replaced the frame. Mostly for minimal downtime and strength.

We only replaced what was necessary, i.e. brake lines, gas line, body mount cushions and a few bushings (rear crossmember). Cleaned and painted everything with black epoxy, mostly for rust protection.

If you don't get too wrapped up in cosmetics you can avoid 'project creep'.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:00 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Allcoupedup
If you immunizize against project creep, you can remove the body, have the frame fixed, and drop the body back on.
Brian
that's not possible, i wrote a detailed medical paper on that and even posted it up on here a little while back.
The thread was called: "whileyouareatityoumightaswellas" is a disease.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:55 AM
65nassau
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Interesting thread.

Whatever happened to those little kits that could detect corvette frame rust, was it just a little magnet or..

And did it even come close to working?
Old 03-06-2006, 07:43 PM
kdzdds
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Unmodified

Default Total Frame replacement '57

I had to replace the entire frame for my '57 due to stress fractures at the engine mounts and poor repair work in other areas. So, I just drove 15 hours last weekend to pickup a new frame at Vette Products in Orion, Michigan..... brought it back and put frame gauges on it... it is better than new. They use dedicated supports to hold the sections as they are being welded so that there is no warpage... I was in their shop. Now I can put the body back on and not worry about some halfbaked repair job that I am riding on. Just my $ .02

Get notified of new replies

To Rust on the frame rails how bad.

Quick Reply: Rust on the frame rails how bad.