C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BK Harness Bar and Sub mount Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 01:52 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default BK Harness Bar and Sub mount Install

Installation of BK Harness Bar and Sub Mounts

After looking all over I did not see a total write-up of how to install the BK Harness Bar and Sub Mounts. I decided that write one up to help others. If you take a minute to read this it will save you time in the long run.

If someone reads this and finds something wrong please tell me and I will fix my write-up and fix my set-up.

If you are doing both the Harness Bar and the Sub Mounts I suggest starting with the mounts first then the Harness Bar and then the Side Bars. This will stop any rework that you would have if you did the harness bar and the side poles first since you have to remove the seat to do the sub mounts.

1. The first step is to remove the seat on both sides. This is very easy to do since there are only 4 15mm nuts holding the seat to the seat bracket.

2. After removing the nuts you can pull the seats straight up. Here you can either turn the seat sideways and remove disconnect the wiring to take the seat out or you can turn it on its side to remove the inside nut. I was able to do the work without taking the seat out, but it was tight on the driver’s side with the steering wheel in the way.

3. Now remove the seatbelt nut with an 18mm socket by tilting the seat to one side. I show an 18mm wrench in the picture, but before I did it I decided to use the socket. Once the nut is out remove the white washer that is on the nut can be thrown away.

4. Install the BK Mounting bracket by aligning it with the hole and then use the spacer followed by the washer and then the bolt. The basic setup is seat belt, BK bracket, spacer (which fits inside the BK bracket), washer and then nut. The washer will press between the spacer and the nut.

Old 02-26-2006, 01:53 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

5. Now move the seat as far forward as possible to give you room to remove the lower and middle plastic which hides the outer seat belt. The lower plastic pulls straight up and the middle pulls away from the car.

6. Once the plastic is removed you will see under the seat belt mechanism the seat belt bolt. This needs to be backed out with the T47 or T500 (the T500 is the official number, but I found the T47 at NAPA that fit just the same).

7. On the back of the seatbelt mechanism you will see 3 dimples. Those dimples align to the BK bracket. Note that the smaller BK bracket is used on the driver side.

8. Reattach the seatbelt and bracket to the wall of the car. The BK bracket flat side will be against the wall of the car.

9. In order of the BK bracket to fit you will have to open the slot on the middle piece of plastic. I used a utility knife to open it, but if you have a dremmel I would suggest that. It does not need to be opened much. Once opened you can then replace the middle and lower plastic.

10. You can now put the seat back on the seat rails. You can tighten all of the nuts except the rear nut closest to the door. That will be used to hold the side pipes of the BK Harness Bar.

11. Repeat Steps 3-10 for the other side.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:53 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

12. Now you are done with the hardest part of the installation and you can move onto the Harness Bar. First you have to remove the upper seatbelt. This is done by popping open the plastic cover and inside is a T500 or T47 bolt. This bolt needs to be taken out and will not be used again (either will the cover). Do both sides.

13. At this point if there is a person around to help it will make it easier because it is easier to install the BK bar on both sides at the same time. Mine was a perfect fit across the back of my 01 coupe which also means it is a tight fit so keep that in mind. The install is spacer, BK Bar, seatbelt, washer and then the BK Bolt which is a hex socket Letter G (I am not sure why I had this size hex socket, but I am glad I did). At this point put the bar up, but do not tighten all the way because the side poles have to be attached and it is easier if you can move the BK bar up and down to give you some room.

14. Now it is time to attach the side poles. The side poles have 2 different sides. The correct pole will run closest to the car wall. Again having 2 people here makes it easier. Here you will have to figure out how high you need the poles to make the BK Harness Bar Level. Since I bought mine used the correct height for the poles were already done, but I can see a new one would need to be adjusted.

15. To attach to the BK Harness Bar you will need a 14mm socket and 14mm open end wrench. After attaching both sides you will need to lift the BK Harness Bar to align the bottom of the poles with the outer part of the seat which you left the nut off of. It is easier with 2 people because each person can align their side. I struggled by myself though.

16. Once the poles are lined up with the bolts you can attach the last 2 nuts.

17. YAHOO you have completed the install.

18. Next piece would be the harnesses belts. I will not go into this too deep since really it is alignment of the belts that you need to play with. To help though I used 3 inch slide brackets that was part of the G-Force Belts to wrap the belt around the BK Harness Bar. I used a 3inch snap clip for the mid belt that attaches to the BK Bracket and I used a 2inch snap clip for the sub-belt that also attached to the BK Bracket. I made sure that all of my snap clips faced down once they were installed.

Good luck. It is really not a hard install, but it will take some time.
The following users liked this post:
cjh4l22 (10-11-2019)
Old 02-26-2006, 02:55 PM
16Again
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '20

Excellent write up and pictorial.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:15 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by 16Again
Excellent write up and pictorial.

thanks - trying to help the other people out.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:18 AM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Awesome Bob. I'm installing my BK tomorrow

Thanks for taking the time to take pics and do the detailed write up.

Stephen
Old 04-27-2006, 05:23 PM
xlr8shn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ttt
Old 04-27-2006, 05:36 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

i run the same setup, awesome write-up
Old 04-27-2006, 07:36 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2006, 08:24 PM
Cajundude
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

I guess you wouldn't need the bar if you are going to put in a 6 pt. cage right? Just the mounts? Excellent write up! I plan on ordering the mounts soon.

These mounts will work with a 5 point harness right? I would just need to add the Wolfe bar up front correct?
Old 04-27-2006, 08:46 PM
16Again
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Cajundude
I guess you wouldn't need the bar if you are going to put in a 6 pt. cage right? Just the mounts? Excellent write up! I plan on ordering the mounts soon.

These mounts will work with a 5 point harness right? I would just need to add the Wolfe bar up front correct?
No bar if using a roll bar. Just the Brey Krause mounts and the Wolfe sub belt bar. If you want you are welcome to my brand new Wolfe bar, you pay shipping, the bar is on me. PM your info, i'll try getting it out tomorrow.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:30 PM
Cajundude
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Wow! Thanks! Sending PM!
Old 04-27-2006, 09:55 PM
16Again
Team Owner

Wow! Thanks! Sending PM!
Boxed and will go out in the morning. Pay it forward.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:58 PM
Armycop
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, wish I stumbled upon this thread earlier in the day!! Weas, what did your entire setup cost you? I'm looking for a hardbar/harness setup for track days. I can get Simpson 6pt harness for $95 each, but the hardbar is breaking the bank. Lemme know if you're still in the giving mood too! Thanks.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:52 AM
Cajundude
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Armycop
I can get Simpson 6pt harness for $95 each.
New with cert? If so, that is one helluva price. I picked up a 5 pt. camlock at the beginning of the month for twice that much. I picked it up at the races from the Simpson trailer. It was certifed for me beginning in May, so they were able to post date a month.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:33 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

nice to see this thread pop back up again. glad people are getting some use out of it.

Old 04-28-2006, 10:35 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by Armycop
Man, wish I stumbled upon this thread earlier in the day!! Weas, what did your entire setup cost you? I'm looking for a hardbar/harness setup for track days. I can get Simpson 6pt harness for $95 each, but the hardbar is breaking the bank. Lemme know if you're still in the giving mood too! Thanks.
look on ebay and try to the parts section for a used bar. I got mine used and it looked brand new still.

I still had to buy the sub mounts and belts, but at least I saved some money.

BTW - $95 for belt is not bad. I forget what I paid for my G-Force 6 point belts, but I know it was more than that.

Get notified of new replies

To BK Harness Bar and Sub mount Install

Old 04-28-2006, 10:37 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

If you use the BK mounts it is setup for just the lap belt or the lap belt and sub belt (6 point).
Old 04-28-2006, 11:09 AM
16Again
Team Owner

Boxed and will go out in the morning. Pay it forward.
Cajundude, your box was shipped this morning. I PM'd you the UPS tracking number. Have fun and STAY SAFE
Old 04-28-2006, 11:10 AM
Cajundude
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cajundude, your box was shipped this morning. I PM'd you the UPS tracking number. Have fun and STAY SAFE
Thanks!!!!!

Quick Reply: BK Harness Bar and Sub mount Install