Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hallett Motor Racing Circuit - Anyone Driven This Track?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 09:54 PM
Chance
Team Owner

Location: I was a young troubadour when I rode in on a song, and I'll be an old troubadour when I'm gone.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Hallett Motor Racing Circuit - Anyone Driven This Track?

Hallett Motor Racing Circuit

I'm interested in doing some events at this track this year. As far as upcoming events: there is a test & tune session on March 4, and then a High Speed Touring event on the March 25-26 weekend.

I'm just looking for general feedback about driving there.
Has anyone participated in events at Hallett before? Fun? Not fun?

$95 for five 15-minute driving sessions seems like an alright deal.
Only required equipment is a helmet and long pants/sleeves.

Would anyone else be interested in trying to organize something?

I realize Oklahoma isn't exactly a hotbed of Corvette activity, but I figured I'd mention this just in case someone here has any experience with the track. I'd appreciate any input.

Old 02-20-2006, 10:06 PM
L98 DRIVER
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, I got about 250 laps around Hallett.
The coma events are big fun for the buck and Hallett is the best place in the midwest for a newbe to learn on. It is a low speed, very technical, track that has no concrete to run into if you over cook it.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:16 PM
Chance
Team Owner

Location: I was a young troubadour when I rode in on a song, and I'll be an old troubadour when I'm gone.
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by L98 DRIVER
Yea, I got about 250 laps around Hallett.
The coma events are big fun for the buck and Hallett is the best place in the midwest for a newbe to learn on. It is a low speed, very technical, track that has no concrete to run into if you over cook it.
That is great to hear. Are you planning on running any events this year?

Also, I noticed you are in Wichita. I don't know if I've ever seen you post in the Mountain Prarie section, though. You might check it out if you never have before. I'm only 90 minutes from Wichita, and just last Saturday, I met up with a few other Corvette guys in Wichita for a night at Hooters.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:21 PM
Gary04Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Hallet is a blast. Here is a thread with some vids from last year, about 6 or 7 of us went down there. Great track. I think we will go back this year.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...30&forum_id=23

This one, I am in front of Jim, until he passes me. I really blew turn 3.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...30&forum_id=23
Old 02-20-2006, 10:27 PM
L98 DRIVER
Racer

I'll most likely not run the vette at any street car events this year.
I steped up to wheel to wheel racing last year and it is about all I can do to keep up with that.

My highest indicated speed ever in the 91 6 grinder was 105, on a cool day with R comp tires and track pads.

Go forth and enjoy, But do a bit of car prep before you go out.
ALL fluids new, not new 15,000 miles ago I mean new now especialy the brake fluid. alignment correct. very good pads.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:31 PM
johninar
Drifting

Hallett is great fun. I go there because they allow Verts to run. I've only been there three times last year, but I really enjoyed myself. I'll be there job permitting.

John
Old 02-20-2006, 10:38 PM
Chance
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08

I like all the postive feedback I'm hearing. I definitely want to do this, espeically since I'm here at school now, only about 2 hours from the track.

I'll be home this weekend where I can get the car prepped properly. I might go ahead and put the Cross Bar back in so I can mount a camera. I feel a little nervous about driving the car to the track. I'd prefer to have a tow vehicle and trailer so I can get home if something breaks.

But I'm a poor college student, so I'll just drive easy, keep my fingers crossed, and hope for the best.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:42 PM
L98 DRIVER
Racer

"so I'll just drive easy" yea, I said that,,, till lap 3.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:43 PM
Chance
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by L98 DRIVER
"so I'll just drive easy" yea, I said that,,, till lap 3.

I'm only smiling because I know you're exactly right.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:34 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Been there plenty of times. Great course with a few tricky turns...like "The Bitch"...

Take an extra set of front rotors & pads with you...I've devoured new rotors in a day there...

You'll have a blast...guaranteed.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:02 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

I bought my car about 7 months ago and have been there every time they've run since. It's addictive. GREAT track. Make sure, very, very sure you have good brakes. It's tough on 'em. It's very technical, low speed (i.e., 114 mph top speed for me) and safe.

PM me with a phone number and I'll share info.

Rick

P.S. I'll be there.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:27 AM
Chance
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by rikhek

PM me with a phone number and I'll share info.

Rick

P.S. I'll be there.

PM on the way.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:29 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,078 Posts

"fyi" they run Hallett clockwise some weekends and counter-clockwise other weekends. It's two totally different experiences.

Be sure to have fresh brake fluid and good pads. When pushed, Hallett eats brakes for lunch
Old 02-21-2006, 12:33 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

That track looks like a blast. I think there is a bid by the Southwest Region NCCC to have the 2008 convention near Tulsa. If they have the high speed event at Hallett I think I would probably go.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:30 PM
62C1
Instructor

Originally Posted by 69autoXr
That track looks like a blast. I think there is a bid by the Southwest Region NCCC to have the 2008 convention near Tulsa. If they have the high speed event at Hallett I think I would probably go.
Correct. The NCCC SW region is planning on hosting the 2008 convention with the high and low speed events planned for Hallet. There is a SW Region high speed event planned for the end of April at Hallet. As for the comment above about not much Corvette activity in OK, that's not true. Last year there were more NCCC events in OK than anywhere else in the SW region.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:08 PM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Plan on being there when they tell you to be there... or you may just be sitting outside the track till they re-open the cattle chute. The pit area is in the inside of the track, and there isn't a bridge. So, between run groups, they'll usually open the gate and let people through.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:32 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by SCCACornerWorker
Plan on being there when they tell you to be there... or you may just be sitting outside the track till they re-open the cattle chute. The pit area is in the inside of the track, and there isn't a bridge. So, between run groups, they'll usually open the gate and let people through.
Good point. Also, the "infield" area at Hallett is primarily grass, gravel, and dirt (there are a few paved roads by the garages, but those are generally rented already). Get there early or you'll find yourself down the hill in the gravel (kind of by the pond shown in the pic in the original post). From there, it's a loooooong, rocky drive to pit lane. If you have track tires on, you spend two laps listening to rocks fire off the tires into the sides of your car as well as into the fender wells. It's a really fun track, but it could definitely use some infrastructure improvements.

Get notified of new replies

To Hallett Motor Racing Circuit - Anyone Driven This Track?

Old 02-22-2006, 09:06 PM
Chance
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08

Wow, this is all great information, thanks to everyone. These little tidbits of advice like the gravel pit roads, are things I could learn on my own, but it will make the experience much better knowning them ahead of time.

Rick, if you're reading this, I sent you a PM with my phone number. Give me a call some evening if you're still willing to help me out.

I need to get a membership to COMMA, and then sign up for the HST event itself, of course.

Is that all I need to do to be eligible to run?
Old 02-22-2006, 10:16 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Chance
Wow, this is all great information, thanks to everyone. These little tidbits of advice like the gravel pit roads, are things I could learn on my own, but it will make the experience much better knowning them ahead of time.

Rick, if you're reading this, I sent you a PM with my phone number. Give me a call some evening if you're still willing to help me out.

I need to get a membership to COMMA, and then sign up for the HST event itself, of course.

Is that all I need to do to be eligible to run?
Yep, that's it. They'll do a cursory tech inspection at the track as well as verify you have an acceptable helmet.

Keep in mind that unlike various schools that people attend (that require a "point-by" to pass, generally only allow passing on the left, have designated passing zones, etc,) Hallett is a little like the wild west. No passing in the turns, no passing between 5 & 6 but everything else is fair game.

As mentioned before, make sure you have fresh brake fluid. No brakes can ruin your day.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:37 AM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by 62C1
Correct. The NCCC SW region is planning on hosting the 2008 convention with the high and low speed events planned for Hallet. There is a SW Region high speed event planned for the end of April at Hallet. As for the comment above about not much Corvette activity in OK, that's not true. Last year there were more NCCC events in OK than anywhere else in the SW region.
Cool. Which way does SW NCCC usually run the track?

Quick Reply: Hallett Motor Racing Circuit - Anyone Driven This Track?