Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness Off the Track

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 03:12 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default Harness Off the Track

well we never have a poll here so here is one.

how many guys use their Harnesses off the track. I realize that it is illegal in most states (if not all), but knowing that it gives you better protection are you willing to take the chance of getting a ticket?
Old 02-16-2006, 04:26 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Why would it be illegal? I have a rollbar to keep the car off my head, however, I usually use only the lap belt portion on the street.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:27 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-16-2006, 04:42 PM
JiminFL
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I said never, but did once or twice when it was new. I've since been through a pretty serious wreck with factory belts including the shoulder belt mounted on the hardbar and came out with no neck or upper body injuries.

When my car stopped with the passenger door in the ditch and the driver's door facing pretty much skyward, it was VERY good to be able to duck my head into the passenger seat as I saw the base of the streetlight I had hit coming back down toward the car. I thought it was coming in the window (it didn't), and not being able to duck across the console and shield my face would've sucked.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:31 PM
Cisitalia
Racer

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Why would it be illegal? I have a rollbar to keep the car off my head, however, I usually use only the lap belt portion on the street.
The majority of all race harnesses are not DOT approved by the FMVSS 209 (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 209). So yes you could get a ticket for not wearing the approved OE belts or equivalent belts/harnesses that are in accordance with FMVSS 209. There is only one harness that I am aware of that meets that standard and is legal to use on the street. That is the Schroth Rally X four point harnesses. Now in a Corvette application is only legal when using the Brey-Krause harness bar. Because it was designed, tested and certified to FMVSSs. In addition the Schroth Rally X harnesses are only legal per manufacturers installation requirements if the seats have harness pass thrus.

I am probably the only one who voted they use them full time. When I had my Z06 I installed sports seats (with pass thrus), B-K harness bar and the proper Schroth harnesses. I kept the Schroth and B-K paperwork stating DOT compliance in the car in case I was stopped and had to answer to the "man."

OBTW, you are illegal in two ways: not DOT approved harnesses and even if the lap belt was approved, you must have shoulder restraint as well. I would say most policeman don't care about using race harnesses. But they probably would with no shoulder restraint.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:55 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Originally Posted by Cisitalia
The majority of all race harnesses are not DOT approved by the FMVSS 209 (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 209). So yes you could get a ticket for not wearing the approved OE belts or equivalent belts/harnesses that are in accordance with FMVSS 209. .
yep,

everytime i've ever been stopped the cop got out his reading glasses and inspected the tags on my seat belts.

Geez, i guess i should stay awake at night and worry about these things too.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:02 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by turtlevette
yep,

everytime i've ever been stopped the cop got out his reading glasses and inspected the tags on my seat belts.

I really dont think anyone is worring about it (like the front license plate arguement). I just asked a general question if you do or don't use them off the track.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:10 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

If you have race seats, the stock belts can actually be dangerous as they cause the lap belt to ride up and hit you too high. So, just wear both - they you'll be both safe and legal!
Old 02-16-2006, 08:15 PM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Need 4th option:

HAVE to, because the car doesn't have OE belts
Old 02-16-2006, 09:27 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by turtlevette
yep,

Daum your cops SCCA tech inspectors???
Old 02-16-2006, 09:31 PM
Ag-z06
Racer

Always use them on the street, as they are better than nothing. With my Sparco EvoL and hardbar mounts, I can't get the stock belt retractor (by the floor) to fit so the stock belts on the driver's side are out.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:29 AM
COLORADO FRC
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only when I have someone riding with me for their first time, they usually ask why they don't have a harness
Old 02-17-2006, 12:52 AM
TrackDayLT4
Instructor

Since the mid 80's I have been driving cars with roll bars and harnesses on the street. Over this time I have been stopped several times by friendly offficers, and I have never even had a comment. I wouldn't worry about it.

Cheers,

Lawrence
Old 02-17-2006, 11:18 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Default "63" Corvette

Um Cisitalia, you may not have noticed the model year of my Z06

"OBTW, you are illegal in two ways: not DOT approved harnesses and even if the lap belt was approved, you must have shoulder restraint as well. I would say most policeman don't care about using race harnesses. But they probably would with no shoulder restraint."
Old 02-17-2006, 07:39 PM
Cisitalia
Racer

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Um Cisitalia, you may not have noticed the model year of my Z06 "
I did not notice that. What a great car you have. I did not know owners drive those cars any more. You could get a way with any thing in that car. Do police stop you just to look at it?

So is that THE original Z06 model?

Brad
Old 02-17-2006, 07:51 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by COLORADO FRC
Only when I have someone riding with me for their first time, they usually ask why they don't have a harness
That's the best part

I didn't bother with the stock belt when I put my Evo in and as other's have said, the stock lat belt would sit to high off your body to be effective with a race seat, so I just didn't bother with it. The only problem is that it takes so much work to get in and out of. Not sure about the legal issue over here, but I've been through the gates on base plenty of times and SF has never said anything about it. You'd have to get a pretty **** cop on a bad to write you a ticket for a harness.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:03 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I have to undo my harness to turn around see when backing up, so I would not use it on the street.

Get notified of new replies

To Harness Off the Track

Old 02-18-2006, 01:29 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

I just loosen the should straps
Old 02-18-2006, 05:09 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

In Virginia it is illegal to use any type of restraint other than the factory seatbelt, so I don't even bother with it. When I had my 383 stroker equipped Datsun tagged and legal, I used the harness with it, only because I had no other belts, and with an antique tag there was no inspection and no issues...

Mike
Old 02-18-2006, 05:38 PM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

I have a five point harness and racing seat in my Cobra replica. On the street I usually use the seat belts and shoulder harnesses. I laid the car out so I can reach everything I need while securely strapped in. ... The side pipes on this car are very loud, but the only reactions I've gotten from police were waves and curious stares.

Quick Reply: Harness Off the Track