Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Problems with the rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 07:10 PM
blkz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with the rear end?

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting and I am still waiting for my C6Z. Last week the dealership I placed my deposit with had a reception and introdution of the new Z(I live in a very small town and it was the first).My salesman pulled me aside and told me that instead of an 06 I would be getting an 07 because there is some concern over the rear axel. Has anyone heard anything about this?
Old 02-06-2006, 07:13 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like your salesman has something up his sleeve.

First, I doubt he would lose a sale over such an issue, especially when warranty would cover it. (yes, I know I'm stereotyping)

Second, He may have someone else that wants one and he wants to bump you.

Third, Do you know for a fact your dealership does indeed have an allocation for one?
Old 02-06-2006, 07:19 PM
blkz
Pro

It is possible , what cocerned me some was the fact that we talk at least weekly and I have always told him if I have to wait I'll wait.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:20 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I have to call .

There have been problems with the rear end leaking on some cars since 1997 and they will still be there after 07.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Quite a large number of folks have taken delivery of new Z06s and there is no shortage of demand. So the car met Chevy's standard for release to the public. And many are accumulating miles on the street.

I've read one report from an owner who broke a half-shaft on a hard street-launch. Hard to make an issue of a single reported incident, thus far.

With that as background, it seems likely that your dealer lacks allocations to service your requested order. This likelihood poses three questions. (1) Did the dealer maintain a waiting list? (2) If so, were you #1 on that list? and (3) How many 2006 allocations did the dealer get compared to your position on the list?

Ranger
Old 02-06-2006, 07:27 PM
blkz
Pro

3 and 3 but 2and 3 probably are 07's now, I'll keep you posted
Old 02-06-2006, 07:44 PM
louieT
Melting Slicks

Go back and tell him you want the one they promised.. And to let you worry about the rear end.. Then see what he says..

Then tell him you call.................

Mine runs fine...
No one else seems to be having rear end issues..

Except for the chick I meet last night..

Sorry,...
Old 02-06-2006, 08:12 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Old 02-06-2006, 08:13 PM
vettemaster1
Drifting

doesnt sound like bs...IT IS bs!!!!!!
Old 02-06-2006, 08:15 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

He's BSing about something but there was that half shaft problem at the beginning, so he may be confused about something. I know a lot of car salesmen the ones I know are honest; but sometimes they talk just to hear themselves.

Welcome!!
Old 02-06-2006, 08:22 PM
m3corvette
Drifting

on the dealers part. I hope you work it out in your favor.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:28 PM
RFC2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
He's BSing about something but there was that half shaft problem at the beginning, so he may be confused about something. I know a lot of car salesmen the ones I know are honest; but sometimes they talk just to hear themselves.

Welcome!!
I would agree. I always know more about a car I am interested in than the sales guy. A lot of times they only retain bits an pieces of info, not necessarily dishonest.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:31 PM
FSTR-N-U
Heel & Toe

This is my first time replying to any post. I have broken (cracked) the right side axle housing three different times since my purchase nov. 20th. I have documentation of dealer replacing the right side axle 3 different times. First time at 500 miles, 2nd at 1400 and 3rd time at 2400 miles. Dealership is Lou Bachrodt in Coconut Creek, FL. The last time they replaced it with a new part that is 6mm longer to distribute the power better. They also said that this is not the final part as that will be available in April. Dealership was great each time overnighting the part and fixing the problem the next day.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:39 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FSTR-N-U
...I have broken (cracked) the right side axle housing three different times since my purchase nov. 20th. I have documentation of dealer replacing the right side axle 3 different times. First time at 500 miles, 2nd at 1400 and 3rd time at 2400 miles...
Please describe the circumstance of each breakage. Don't want to put you on the spot. If that does, please PM me the answer.

TIA,

Ranger
Old 02-06-2006, 08:42 PM
silver 0 six
Pro

Originally Posted by louieT
Go back and tell him you want the one they promised.. And to let you worry about the rear end.. Then see what he says..

Then tell him you call.................

Mine runs fine...

WAY TO GO LOUIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry,...
Old 02-06-2006, 08:55 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

From LouieT

Mine runs fine...

Sorry,...
[/QUOTE]
Louie you're killing me
Old 02-06-2006, 09:03 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

FSTR-N-U, A first time poster, says his/her C6Z has broken the rear three times in 2400 miles.

If FSTR-N-U is legit, he/she will post a few more details to establish authenticity of the claims.

Ranger

Get notified of new replies

To Problems with the rear end?

Old 02-06-2006, 09:07 PM
FSTR-N-U
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Ranger
Please describe the circumstance of each breakage. Don't want to put you on the spot. If that does, please PM me the answer.

TIA,

Ranger

1st time break was at 357 miles and I heard a clicking when giving it gas or when letting off gas like something was loose in the rear end. Took it to dealership and we put it up and saw the cracks in the housing with grease spilled everywhere. when we tried moving the axle it was loose and clicking. 2nd and 3rd time I would hear the clicking again and I would take it to dealer and put it on lift and same problem. All 3 times right side axle. Last time they had the main engineer come and inspecy rear end and said diff. was ok and it was just the axle housing closest to diff. Car runs on stock tires no work done except Kooks headers. I have scanned 2 of the repair orders but don't know how to attach.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Originally Posted by Ranger

I've read one report from an owner who broke a half-shaft on a hard street-launch. Hard to make an issue of a single reported incident, thus far......
That wasn't a customer car. It was a Captured Test Fleet car and the the potential problem was corrected before any customer cars were released.

Originally Posted by FSTR-N-U
This is my first time replying to any post. I have broken (cracked) the right side axle housing three different times since my purchase nov. 20th. I have documentation of dealer replacing the right side axle 3 different times. First time at 500 miles, 2nd at 1400 and 3rd time at 2400 miles. Dealership is Lou Bachrodt in Coconut Creek, FL. The last time they replaced it with a new part that is 6mm longer to distribute the power better. They also said that this is not the final part as that will be available in April. Dealership was great each time overnighting the part and fixing the problem the next day.
That is just and you know it.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:11 PM
TheJimer
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by blkz
Hi everyone, this is my first time posting and I am still waiting for my C6Z. Last week the dealership I placed my deposit with had a reception and introdution of the new Z(I live in a very small town and it was the first).My salesman pulled me aside and told me that instead of an 06 I would be getting an 07 because there is some concern over the rear axel. Has anyone heard anything about this?
The “ONLY” rear end your car salesman is worried about is “HIS”!

I’ll bet that he has another buyer at a GOUGE price and is trying to take you out of the equation by letting you in on inside top secret info! If this guy could even show you where the rear axel is located, I would be impressed!

Jim

Quick Reply: [Z06] Problems with the rear end?