Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Mike Villenueve wins WCCC event #2 at Los Angeles County Raceway

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 04:00 PM
cbc
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mike Villenueve wins WCCC event #2 at Los Angeles County Raceway

Saturday, February 4 was a clear, breezy, and sunny racing day in the California high desert, with the temperatures in the 60s to low 70s at our home track, Los Angeles County Raceway. We shared the track with Pro-Lite practice, and test and tune.

Mike Villenueve, one of the original WCCC racers, won the second 2006 event in his magnetic red 2002 coupe. Mike took the A & A Corvette Performance winner’s trophy on his opponent’s -.037 foul. This was Mike’s second overall Challenge victory. Congratulations Mike.

Gary Combs won the Cormier Chevrolet sponsored Runner-Up trophy in his C5 over semi-finalist and defending WCCC champion Dave Dowdell, in a double red-light. In the first round, Gary also earned the Vapor Trail Vettes Closest to Dial and LACR/NAPA Auto Parts sponsored Best Reaction Time trophies.

Rochelle Dowdell, 2004 WCCC Champion, was the other semi-finalist in her torch red 2003 coupe.

Congratulations to our first round winners Kat McSwain, Phil Reese, and Gabino Diaz. Kat McSwain earned a first round bye with her .001 RT during time trials.

Robert Piroumian was our fastest in eliminations, with an 11.678 ET at 111.99 mph in his black Z06. Robert also ran an 11.34 in time trials.

The WCCC continued our new first round elimination format for event #2. The new format pools the top six or eight points drivers for 1st round pairings. For the second event of 2006, the points standings from the first race in 2006 were used. The top driver pairs were randomly drawn from a hat containing the top 6 drivers. The remaining drivers were randomly paired for round one. Second round and on pairings are determined by the sportsman ladder based on closest-to-dial-in from first round results. The new idea was suggested in order to give some of the lesser experienced drivers a chance to not repeatedly get paired up with the top drivers. One down side is that half of the top pool of drivers is guaranteed to be out in the first round. But as with any pairing, you still must cut a good light, and run your number. Our hope was to get increase the number of return participants. For events #3 and on, we will be using current 2006 points for the top driver pool. We'll let you know how it turns out over the course of the 2006 season.

Thanks to all our sponsors including NAPA Auto Parts/Los Angeles County Raceway, Cormier Chevrolet, Perez Web Design, Opitima Batteries, Vapor Trail Vettes, and especially Andy and Melissa Green of A&A Corvette Performance

Thanks again to Bernie Longjohn and his crew for another well organized race day at our home track, LACR!

2006 Event #2 Summary
Winner: Mike Villenueve
Runner-Up: Gary Combs
Semi-Finalists: Rochelle Dowdell and Dave Dowdell
Best 1st Round RT: Gary Combs .039
Closest to Dial in 1st Rd: Gary Combs 13.955 on a 13.92 dial.
Low ET in Eliminations: Robert Piroumian with 11.67

Next WCCC event is February 25th at LACR. Be sure to check the LACR web schedule during the week prior to the event. You can also call the LACR event line at (661) 533-2224 after the Monday of the week prior to the event.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:39 PM
Geneus
Le Mans Master

Just out of curiousity, what was the total Corvette turnout for this event?
Old 02-05-2006, 04:52 PM
Alcee1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats to Mike and all the other winner's.

BTW Geneus I believe there were 13 Corvette's, It was a low day.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:05 PM
Geneus
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Alcee1
Congrats to Mike and all the other winner's.

BTW Geneus I believe there were 13 Corvette's, It was a low day.
Thanks. I should also say congrats to the winners, as I neglected to do so in my first post.

BTW, with that killer weather its a shame you couldn't have had a few more show up. We're all chomping at the bit for our tracks here to open...hopefully, by the end of this month.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:09 PM
16Again
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '20

Congratulations to the winner and all the participants. Glad you got yours in, we were rained out yesterday.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:46 PM
MikeV
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought it might be my day.. First time trial I ran 13.05. Then a 13.030,13.031, and a 13.030. Then the weather got hotter and I ran a 13.11. So much for consistancy!

In the race, the conditions changed a lot. It went from 61 in the morning to over 70 at noon with a light breeze, back in the 60's with a good tail wind which blew sand on the track for the finals. I got lucky in the first round with Kathy as she tree'ed me with a .032 light to my .090 but lucky for me she missed a shift. If Kathy ever gets a A4 vette, I am retiring from racing. She cut a .001 light in practice in both the first two races! to Kathy. In the second and third rounds I got lucky again when two veteran racers cut slow lights, and in the final, last months winner red lights against me... As the saying goes:
" I'd rather be lucky than Good!" And I was!

I am in for trouble next race.

Mike V
Old 02-05-2006, 09:39 PM
11 Second Momma
Racer

Congrats Mike

No worries Mike, I won't be buying a A4 anytime soon

I'm still working on going from a ET racer to a bracket racer

I have to give special thanks to McRat for taking care of getting helmets and playing on the ATV for Tommy's 6th Birthday until I got done racing.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:07 AM
DragNLady
Instructor

Congrats, Mike! Happy to help you out at the light...pretty good snooze I had...I believe the sound of your engine half way down the track woke me up. The chase in on!!

Rochelle
Old 02-06-2006, 11:30 AM
Geneus
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 11 Second Momma
Congrats Mike

No worries Mike, I won't be buying a A4 anytime soon

I'm still working on going from a ET racer to a bracket racer

I have to give special thanks to McRat for taking care of getting helmets and playing on the ATV for Tommy's 6th Birthday until I got done racing.
Hi Kat,

How did the Blue Meanie run? I know you've been looking to get him low...maybe a trip east for some "cool" dry April air would be in order.

I'm planning some upgrades, so I'm hoping for some improvements myself. I just want them done in time before the hot weather sets in the east.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:52 AM
11 Second Momma
Racer

Originally Posted by Geneus
Hi Kat,

How did the Blue Meanie run? I know you've been looking to get him low...maybe a trip east for some "cool" dry April air would be in order.

I'm planning some upgrades, so I'm hoping for some improvements myself. I just want them done in time before the hot weather sets in the east.
Hi Don,

My best pass where an 11.67 @ 118. Which was good for a DA of 3600 t 3700 feet before I started working on my lights.

Yes, we need to go east or to HRP in TX but will most likely have to wait. We are taking a family vacation to HI in March for the kids to see Pat's Mom

Good Luck on your upgrades
Old 02-06-2006, 11:59 AM
Geneus
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 11 Second Momma
We are taking a family vacation to HI in March for the kids to see Pat's Mom

Hmmm, let's see...Hawaii or New Jersey? Hawaii or New Jersey?....that's a tough one...LOL. Enjoy, and I'll let you know how the upgades turnout...I'm just trying to be able to at least keep Robz's tail pipes in my site.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:24 PM
11 Second Momma
Racer

Originally Posted by Geneus
Hmmm, let's see...Hawaii or New Jersey? Hawaii or New Jersey?....that's a tough one...LOL. Enjoy, and I'll let you know how the upgades turnout...I'm just trying to be able to at least keep Robz's tail pipes in my site.
Well the hamsters are begining to think everytime we go on a vacation racing has to be involved. I ask them if that is a bad thing ?

Last edited by 11 Second Momma; 02-07-2006 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:51 PM
Blue85L98
Drifting

Cruise-In III Veteran

First.... Congrats to Mike V. for the event win, and to Gary for runner-up.

Thanks to all of the particpants that showed up and continue to attend our WCCC events.

Originally Posted by cbc
....Gary Combs won the Cormier Chevrolet sponsored Runner-Up trophy in his C5 over semi-finalist and defending WCCC champion Dave Dowdell, in a double red-light. ....
That semi-final loss to Gary was my first RED light in eliminations in quite a few races...and the disadvantage went to me as the slower car...first to foul loses, in our double RED light semi round race. Gary's RED was slightly more than mine, but at that point it was already over.

That broke my streak of winning every previous February WCCC event up to this point...2003, 2004, & 2005. I've still got a chance to win one of our two Feb. WCCC events of 2006, on the 25th.

-dave
Old 02-09-2006, 02:54 PM
Blue85L98
Drifting

Cruise-In III Veteran

The WCCC website has been updated with current event write-up, points, and the WCCC photo gallery has the Feb. 4th event pics posted.

The link to the photo gallery pics is: Feb 4th event pics

-dave

Last edited by Blue85L98; 02-09-2006 at 02:58 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Mike Villenueve wins WCCC event #2 at Los Angeles County Raceway

Quick Reply: Mike Villenueve wins WCCC event #2 at Los Angeles County Raceway