Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] HPE Tuning Results with stage 3 cam, 562 rwhp!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 04:49 PM
0Sales@HPE
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPE Tuning Results with stage 3 cam, 562 rwhp!

I've tuned 2 with our stage 3 cam so far... The car from the video I put on our Mustang dyno. The second car I tuned between 2 different shops, one of them being Vette Doctors in New York.

Car 1: HPE Stage 3 cam, Kooks headers, ported throttle body, no cats.

stock tuning: 515 rwhp, 447 rwtq (HPE Mustang Dyno)

tuned: 531 rwhp, 462 rwtq (HPE Mustang Dyno)

Car 2: HPE Stage 3 cam, Vette Doctors Headers, Ported throttle body, high flow cats, mildly cleaned up heads.

stock tuning: 522 rwhp, 444 rwtq (Vette Doctors, Dynojet, NY)

tuned: 562 rwhp, 498 rwtq WITH the stock air filter in place (Proven Performance, Dynojet. Milford, CT)

We're doing another stage 3 at the shop right now, and then I have a stage 3+ I'm gonna be trying out in a car from Florida. So it should be interesting, but so far these seem to be responding well from tuning.

I tuned one with a smaller cam, and it went from 505 rwhp, to 522. So I'd say 15-20 rwhp gains will be the norm, but others might be more. Just depends. But I'm pretty happy with how everything is working out. Ken at Carputing has been great so far with getting all the bugs in the software lined out, and right now we seem to have a pretty solid program.

Any questions just give us a call at the shop. 281-448-1300.

Chuck
Old 02-01-2006, 05:04 PM
Webfoot
Drifting

Nice numbers!! There's a significant difference between Car 1 and Car 2. What do you attribute it to? Headers? Head work? No cats should be better than Hi flow cats, but aren't in this case. (????)
Old 02-01-2006, 05:06 PM
Chris Lemoine
Le Mans Master

Location: You invited Eric? I thought Eric gave you the creeps!

It would be nice to see the two cars dyno on the same type dyno, ie the dynojet. Either way, those are nice gains in power.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:19 PM
427Z
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can you convert the mustang dyno #'s to dynojet
Old 02-01-2006, 05:22 PM
Redline Motorsports
Melting Slicks

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts

Can you elaborate on the head cleanup??

Any numbers on Stage 3 cam, Kooks headers and tuning?
Old 02-01-2006, 05:32 PM
EuG
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Webfoot
Nice numbers!! There's a significant difference between Car 1 and Car 2. What do you attribute it to? Headers? Head work? No cats should be better than Hi flow cats, but aren't in this case. (????)
You can't compare Mustang dyno to Dynojet.
Plus head work must contribute as well.

Awesome numbers
Old 02-01-2006, 05:34 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Impressive!
Old 02-01-2006, 06:04 PM
Webfoot
Drifting

Originally Posted by EuG
You can't compare Mustang dyno to Dynojet.
Plus head work must contribute as well.

Awesome numbers
Which one tends to be more conservative? And how much so?
Old 02-01-2006, 06:10 PM
EuG
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Which one tends to be more conservative? And how much so?
Mustang usually shows lower because they actually simulate reald world load (good for more realistic tuning)
I'm not sure by how much, I've seen results all over the place.

I think it's best to use dynojet results for comparison purposes.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:18 PM
0Sales@HPE
Former Vendor

Since both cars are from out of state, it'd be hard to dyno them on the same dyno. And the one I tuned just went back to Dallas a few days ago. It made 554 on the dynojet before tuning. So I'd say it would probably be at 565-570 now on the dynojet after tuning. However, load plays a big role in the a/f mixture of a car. The Mustang dyno applies load like it would be on the street. A Dynojet is just an inertia dyno that measures hp based off acceleration (with a drum that weighs approximately 2500 lbs)

Basically, the less the load you apply to any given tune, the richer the a/f mixture will be. So I've seen cars pick up hp on the Mustang, and not show any difference on a Dynojet, simply because it had more fuel than it did before. I could tune a car on the dynojet and pick up "numbers", but it wouldn't necessarily run right on the street because the load was different. That's why a lot of times you see people tune a car on a Dynojet, and it runs great. No detonation, or anything. (This is especially true with people who tune trucks on Dynojets...) However when you get it off the Dynojet, and onto the street, it detonates. That's because the Dynojet doesn't load the vehicle like it would be on the street. Which is why I choose to do all my in house tuning on a Mustang dyno. Dynojets are just toys that measure hp
Chuck
Old 02-01-2006, 06:24 PM
Webfoot
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sales@HPE
Since both cars are from out of state, it'd be hard to dyno them on the same dyno. And the one I tuned just went back to Dallas a few days ago. It made 554 on the dynojet before tuning. So I'd say it would probably be at 565-570 now on the dynojet after tuning. However, load plays a big role in the a/f mixture of a car. The Mustang dyno applies load like it would be on the street. A Dynojet is just an inertia dyno that measures hp based off acceleration (with a drum that weighs approximately 2500 lbs)

Basically, the less the load you apply to any given tune, the richer the a/f mixture will be. So I've seen cars pick up hp on the Mustang, and not show any difference on a Dynojet, simply because it had more fuel than it did before. I could tune a car on the dynojet and pick up "numbers", but it wouldn't necessarily run right on the street because the load was different. That's why a lot of times you see people tune a car on a Dynojet, and it runs great. No detonation, or anything. (This is especially true with people who tune trucks on Dynojets...) However when you get it off the Dynojet, and onto the street, it detonates. That's because the Dynojet doesn't load the vehicle like it would be on the street. Which is why I choose to do all my in house tuning on a Mustang dyno. Dynojets are just toys that measure hp
Chuck
Great explanation. Thanks!!
Old 02-01-2006, 06:25 PM
427Z
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chuck
thanks for the explanation
Old 02-01-2006, 08:22 PM
SW
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 11 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

We're doing another stage 3 at the shop right now, and then I have a stage 3+ I'm gonna be trying out in a car from Florida. So it should be interesting, but so far these seem to be responding well from tuning.

Any questions just give us a call at the shop. 281-448-1300.

Chuck
Old 02-01-2006, 08:46 PM
Mako7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First, great results!

Second, I still do not understand why car #2 w/cats had basically SAE 30rwhp and 30rwtrq more than car #1 w/o cats. Seems very strange. Are you saying this is a dyno issue? I.e., different types of dynos on different days? Because the same type of car, with same mods should be very close.

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2006, 09:16 PM
Redline Motorsports
Melting Slicks

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts

Good explanation on the dyno comparisons. This is why we bought a Dyno Dynamics eddy current brake dyno!

What about the "mild" headwork you did?? What is considered to be mild?
Old 02-01-2006, 09:55 PM
louieT
Melting Slicks

Great explanation. Thanks!!

Old 02-02-2006, 12:42 AM
0Sales@HPE
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Mako7
First, great results!

Second, I still do not understand why car #2 w/cats had basically SAE 30rwhp and 30rwtrq more than car #1 w/o cats. Seems very strange. Are you saying this is a dyno issue? I.e., different types of dynos on different days? Because the same type of car, with same mods should be very close.

Thanks!
The baseline dyno was different than the final numbers dyno. One could have read 5 low, the other could have read 5 high. Unfortunately every dyno is not going to read exactly the same... We basically ran out of time at Vette Doctors where we made the baseline pull, and I wanted to do some more tweaking, so the next day we went to a dyno that was a little closer to the customers house.

Chuck

Get notified of new replies

To HPE Tuning Results with stage 3 cam, 562 rwhp!

Quick Reply: [Z06] HPE Tuning Results with stage 3 cam, 562 rwhp!