C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with tire purchase...runflats or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 10:45 PM
sting66cp
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help with tire purchase...runflats or not?

It's time to replace the original tires on my 2001 coupe. I am leaning towards not purchasing runflats, but have not yet decided. Are there runflats that are significantly better than the stock Goodyears?

Those of you who aren't using runflats, are you carrying a spare, jack, or tire repair kit? What are you using and what would you reccomend?

Also, I am thinking of upgrading to 18 inch front wheels and 19 inch back wheels as well, what sizes of tires and wheels work well?

Thanks...
Old 01-31-2006, 11:48 PM
mbella2000
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

my 2000 i just purchased 4 brand new tires on ebay for under $500 including shipping. I am installing them on sat. There is a guy on there that sells them cheap. just do a search for 275 40 18 and he will pop up with front and rear. Im just gonna carry a can of fix a flat in case $400 each for emt run flats is a disgrace for tires. I can buy a used car for the price of 4 new ride flats
Old 02-01-2006, 01:30 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

When I replaced the Badyears on my '98, I went to Firestone Firehawks runflats. They are so superior to the original tires in every way, there is no need to give up the runflats.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:21 AM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by sting66cp
It's time to replace the original tires on my 2001 coupe. I am leaning towards not purchasing runflats, but have not yet decided. Are there runflats that are significantly better than the stock Goodyears?

Those of you who aren't using runflats, are you carrying a spare, jack, or tire repair kit? What are you using and what would you reccomend?

Also, I am thinking of upgrading to 18 inch front wheels and 19 inch back wheels as well, what sizes of tires and wheels work well?

Thanks...
There are runflats that are quieter and handle better than the GYs - Michelin, Firestone, Yokohama, to name a few. If you decide to stick with runflats and want to go to an 18/19 wheel combination, consider the GYs that come on the C6. My understanding is that these tires have different design parameters than those from the C5 - quieter, better performing, and more comfortable, at the expense of less "runflatability", to coin a word. Check over in the C6 section to get owners' impressions. Good luck.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:52 AM
Doubletap
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12

Originally Posted by wamara
There are runflats that are quieter and handle better than the GYs - Michelin, Firestone, Yokohama, to name a few. If you decide to stick with runflats and want to go to an 18/19 wheel combination, consider the GYs that come on the C6. My understanding is that these tires have different design parameters than those from the C5 - quieter, better performing, and more comfortable, at the expense of less "runflatability", to coin a word. Check over in the C6 section to get owners' impressions. Good luck.

Old 02-01-2006, 04:44 AM
PAST1SG
Heel & Toe

Default Replacement Tires

Just Bought Yokohama Avs Sport,they Are Superior To The Badyears That Came On The Car.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:25 AM
ronnie948
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Stay with Runflats!!!

I just got Michelin zero pressure tires installed at Discount Tire for $1.2010 including the tax and all the Govt. charges.
They are nice and quiet and balanced up easy.
I had Firestone FireHawks before and they were quiet and very good up until they wore out. They lasted 33,000 miles.
I was going to go back with the FireHawks but decided to try the Michelin's this time for not any reason except I just wanted to try them.
I'll let you know in 4 or 5 years if I like them as much as the firestones.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:17 AM
boomer 33
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I make long runs on weekends, I used non-runflats for about 20,000 miles on my vettes . Then, although I was in my Yukon, I had two complete tire failures on the interstate within a month. I lost my bravado about running non- run flats on the vette. I put Michelin ps2 on and they are great. Quiet, don't tram line like the GY's, and stick good. If you venture far from home in the vette, the law of averages will eventually get you with non-run flats. Just becasue you have a tire kit with you does not mean that the tire will be in good enough shape to hold air. Both of my failures came at 80+ MPH. Neither tire was operable.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:31 AM
dunbindun(tov)
Safety Car

Clint Eastwood seemed to have an answer (question) for everything:

"DO YOU FEEL LUCKY?"

Keep in mind that any new tire is going to be quieter and ride better than the old ones they are replacing.

DBD
Old 02-01-2006, 10:00 AM
Gary French
Instructor

Originally Posted by dunbindun(tov)
Clint Eastwood seemed to have an answer (question) for everything:

"DO YOU FEEL LUCKY?"

Keep in mind that any new tire is going to be quieter and ride better than the old ones they are replacing.

DBD
"WELL DO YA>>>>>PUNK"
Old 02-01-2006, 10:41 AM
boomer 33
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I understand the concept of a new tire vs one with less tread being quiet. However, I replaced my GY runcraps WAY before they were worn, in fact, on my 04, I removed them after dealer delivery and replaced them because I don't like GY runcraps-noisy , rough, and like to follow the ruts in the road. Don't like them at all. Traded them for Michelins. Grasshopper, I know of what I speak.

Gary- felt lucky for miles and miles - no fear- then- poof! reality bit me in the *** when the Yukon tires left me on the side of the road twice. Made me re-think my long run of luck with no tire problems for years and years. GMC does a masterful job of hiding the the jack on a Yukon XL. Assembly of the Jack and the spare tire crank extension etc in the dark for the first time is a real treat. Kind of like putting together tinker toys with a blindfold.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:01 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't like runflats. Never have. Never will... They roll like bricks, and don't track as well.

Yea, maybe I'm gambling. My guess is if I haven't had an issue with tire failure in 2+ years, I won't in 2+ more years. I've got a small compressor, small scissor jack, and a repair kit that I keep in the back of the car. If I have trouble on the road that this kit won't fix, then I'll call a tow truck.

Oh, Tires... I recommend the Kumho Ecsta MX if you want a great tire for a few $$$

Mike
Old 02-01-2006, 01:02 PM
W Muller
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 99 daily driver. I just replaced the G/Y runflats With Kumho Scsta ASX’s. $800 out the door Discount tire. The handling improvements and the noise reduction make it seem like a completely different car. It’s unbelievable the difference it made. I have a spare and jack. I am sure there are a lot of tires that you will like a lot better then what you have, for about any price you want to pay.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:02 PM
dunbindun(tov)
Safety Car

Think about where/when you've been the last month or so and ask yourself, would I like to have a flat here/now?

I was travelling at midnight on I95 north of Jacksonville and got a flat on my old 300ZX with the collapsible spare. I was just over an overpass crest and was really worried about an 18 wheeler sliding over a foot or two; there was also a concern about some "friendly samaritan" stopping by to help. There were no nearby businesses open and waiting an hour or more for help was out of the question, so I sat in a bed of fireants changing the tire.

Moral of the story: I gladly accept the RF limitations.

DBD
Old 02-01-2006, 03:10 PM
markymarq
Heel & Toe

Default Tires

I have to say I hate the ride on the runflats

they follow every groove, are rough and have bad handling

what is the BEST tire that i can get for the $$???
I really don't drive that far from home so AAA can come help me out if i get a flat.

I see that some people like Michelins, or Kuhmo's

any opinions?

thanks
M
Old 02-01-2006, 07:03 PM
boomer 33
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Amen on the bricks, I wonder if the new ones for the C6 are really bettter? Not that it matters, I like what I have, have about 2,000 miles on these PS2's and would by them again unless I get to feeling extremely lucky again and go back to non run flats, but, not much chance of that.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:53 PM
W Muller
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Changing a tire on a Vett is the same as changing a tire on any other car. You can get a spare, jack and every thing else you need for about $150. If you are not comfortable changing a tire, buy runflats. They cost more, are noisy and have a hard ride but you won’t have to change them.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with tire purchase...runflats or not?

Old 02-01-2006, 11:03 PM
40thAnniversary
Instructor

I went with a Kumho Ecsta ASX. They have a great ride to them, and the only reason I went with them is because there was no Kumho Ecsta 711 made in this tire size. The runflat's by goodyear have such a harsh ride to them, like having bricks as sidewalls, made me cringe if I was on a rough road.

Also, installed the same Kumho Ecsta ASX on my mom's 1993 40th Anniversary. Better ride on that car too, switching from goodyears - and again, too bad there isn't a 711 made for that size either - because I have them on my BMW e30 325i and it's the best tire I've ever owned - 2nd set.

If you do go with non-runflat tires, get the roadside kit - an air compressor, and the tire patch kit to use until you get back to town or the place you got the tire from for the road hazzard warranty.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:07 PM
beltfed21
Racer

no comparison. I have two sets of wheels, one have runflats (Khumo) and the other set has non-runflats (dunlops). When I recently changed from the non-runflat set to the runflats I noticed a huge difference (for the worse). Now I know why the call them runcraps! They are harsh as hell and every little groove or bump has me fighting the steering wheel to keep the car going straight. Of course non-runflats make me worry about needing a tow (because I'm not sure if those tire repair kits really work?). But I have seen on this forum that the spare on the new GTO fits both the front and the back of the C5 with only a little work (have to make the center hole a little bigger). Since you have a coupe, this spare and a small jack would fit in back - but make sure to secure so they don't hit you in the back of the head in a sudden stop or accident.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:51 AM
Ragtop_Rob
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

For me at 535 rwhp run flats were out of the question - they just can not stand up to that power. I went with non runflats, a compressor, a tire plug kit and a bottle of sealant if all else fails (the sealant will kill the tire pressure sensor) and to top it off, I got AAA and a cell phone.

Quick Reply: Need help with tire purchase...runflats or not?