Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 vs. BMW M5

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 12:26 AM
Oldcars
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z06 vs. BMW M5

OK,
I'm not trying to start a chest thumping contest, but I've noticed many of us loyal Corvette owners do own other high performance cars. Some of you are acknowledged Viper owners, as evidenced by some of the photos taken in your garages.

I have an interesting dilemma and would appreciate some open-minded non-flamed responses:

I test drove a 2006 BMW M5 today. 500 HP, V-10, 8250 rpm redline, SMP transmission, 383 lb-ft of torque. Beautifully appointed, with HUD, NAV, stereo, blue tooth, and other creature comforts.

4 years - 50,000 mile warranty includes maintainence (brakes, clutch, oil changes). Dealer also includes valet service - pickup at home, loaner car, and car returned washed. Also free inspection.

New M5 owners also get a free 3 day training school, with lodging, at the Spartanburg, SC plant.

In the Philly area, I found 3 of these cars, on the ground, and all at MSRP. Apparently, there are rumors of dealers in CA (of course) selling them for 20K over, but there are opportunities here even without going to the extreme gouge.

Granted, it's not a Corvette. I know it's not a Chebby. I know it has 5 less horsepower than the Z. I know it's a sedan. I also know that it's not American.

I also know the MSRP is almost 20K more than the MSRP of the Z06. However, since some of us (including me) are considering buying the Z at over MSRP - that closes the difference between the cost of the cars.

It's one thing to open the checkbook and buy the cars. But if you are considering a leasing option, the Z06 is not a good lease candidate. However, the M5, through BMW Financial, has a 61% residual after 36 months. Aggressive money factor and you can have one for about $2500 down and $1400/mos for 36 months. I've read some posts about people paying more for their Z06...

Cost of ownership between the cars is roughly the same if you compare what the original purchase price is, compared to what it is worth after 3 years.

I've driven the C6 - auto and manual, and the Z06 twice. I'm excited to be on the dealer list for the Z06, even at $2500 over MSRP. But....the M5 was quite a powerful and exciting ride. And we didn't get into launching it and going WOT.

I had a 1999 540i because I couldn't find a new M5 at that time. I've been in several Ms over the years and drove my friend's M3 and M5.

Anyone here have BMW experience and can offer pros/cons between the cars? Again - I'm on this forum because my first thoughts are for the Z...

Thanks
Old 01-26-2006, 12:38 AM
KILR-RYD
Drifting

I am sorry I didnt go through the whole thing, but I gather you are planning on getting either..its really not that tough..I would give both almost equal points and then look at my garage and decide..if I have a high performance coupe I would get the M5, if I have a sedan fast enough, I would get the Z06...I think Z06 would be my pick, but I would love to own the M5 along side..

M5 is epic and so is the Z06...

abd btw the MSRP diff is about 16500-17000k and not 20,000 but imagine you can carry 2-3 more people with you on that wild ride..
Old 01-26-2006, 12:44 AM
Patrick McDaniel
Burning Brakes

M5-900lbs heavier, 4 doors. Mechanically superior traction control and a 4 season car. Exterior styling of a sports sedan.

Z06 more of a sports car, driver and one passenger. Lighter weight means better accel, braking and cornering. More of a cockpit feeling behind the wheel. You won't see any on the way to the ski slope.

Both are very nice cars. I considered the upcoming M3 as I don't need a 4 door but I still prefer the Z06.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:47 AM
Pio
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I use to have a 2001 M5 and did the course out in spatanburg, NC. It was awesome. Of all the cars I've owned (the list is long ) the M5 has to be up there in the with my absolute favs.

My wife has a new 6 and, even though I think its a stunning looking car, I don't like the way it feels. Too many electronics cutting into the fun. You can feel the electronics pulling you back when things get "sporty". I hope BMW didn't do this to the new M cars.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:00 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

I owned 7 BMWs between 1986 and 2002. I used to adore them, mostly the 3-series....a real driver's car. The last few got increasingly less pleasing, and if you think electronic gremlins in latest generation of Corvettes are a problem, then you shouldn't consider the new BMWs.

Some of the later ones seem fine, but others are your worst nightmare, and there seems to be no way to figure it out when it happens. BMW dealers are equally clueless. It reminded me of the Microsoft operating system running amok, without any apparent reason.

My last one ('02 745) was an absolute nightmare.........engine swap and endless, endless, endless unexplained computer glitches. It was in the shop constantly and ultimately bought back by BMW. It was the worst car experience of my life and I've had way too many cars in my time. Perhaps they've started to get that sorted out.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:01 AM
Mako7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1. No torque.

2. 4 Doors.

3. Heavier than a pig-dog.

4. Will never see the track.

BL: Apple vs. Orange.

I would rather have an E55.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:22 AM
SMFCPACFP
Safety Car

Received 101 Likes on 39 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I think that if you are patient (i.e., willing to wait) you can get one at MSRP. Then the price difference is a factor.

Personally I don't like its looks. I am not a 4 door sedan guy.

Last edited by SMFCPACFP; 01-30-2006 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:24 AM
Z06KahunaCanuck
Instructor

The M5 is a great car, superb handling, just enough luxo, and while it isn't the torque moster the E55 is, it pulls incredibly hard to that 8200 rpm redline.

Comparing it to a Z06 is pretty unfair though, they are wildly different beasts. The Z is wayyy lighter, and a lot more visceral. Kinda like comparing Sean Connery as 007 with Russell Crowe in Gladiator...they'll bothe get the job done, just in different ways...

Tough to choose one...
Old 01-26-2006, 01:43 AM
Polar_Bear
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Tough to choose one...

No it's not. How would you feel, spending that kind of money for a car and getting stomped on at stoplights by a piece of American iron with pushrods? At least if you buy a regular 5-er you have a legit excuse... and you might have enough left over to buy a C6.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:51 AM
korvetkeith
Melting Slicks

If your a real performance junky, then there is no comparison. M5 is not even in the same league.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:05 AM
TetraU
Drifting

I say get both if you are filthy rich. Otherwise get the Z06 if you are in for the experience of a real sportscar; get the M5 if you just want to pretend you are in a sportcar in a fancy sedan.

Frankly, I would go with the Z06 for there is nothing like it in the market for under $150,000. Let's use this metaphor, do you want to shoot like Tiger Woods for one round or do you want to be like David Toms for one round. I'd take Tiger in a heartbeat. I may shoot for a same 67, but I would have experienced a 350 yard drive to get my Eagle than plugging my way to two birdies. Does it make any sense?
Old 01-26-2006, 02:41 AM
TicketBait
Melting Slicks

Default dilema

Tough decision. You really should get Both!!

When you want a sports car feel you will be in the Z. But there will be times you want to take your neighbors out to dinner and you will want to valet the car and there you have it. (most corvette owners usually park and walk) no valet.

You mention the car is returned washed from the dealer after warranty work. My Chevrolet dealer offers the same but I ask them not to because I always wash this baby myself.Ya no microfiber claybar, weed Blower etc.

While my brand new 330i was in the shop getting the air cond. fixed .
I drove for a month a 2002 525 series as in the shop.) In fact we took it Las vegas with another couple. Lets just say the wives felt the back seats were very un comfortable. My BMW 330i with the sports pkg and triptronic was booooooooooooooooooring to drive.

Yes german engeneering is good, but something about walking up to the Z and pressing the green button on the dash makes my day.

If I was thinking about the M5 I would compare it to the MB 500CLS AMG or the E55 AMG.. If you want to compare the ZO6 then compare it to the Porsche Turbo. Only you know what is best for you ,follow your heart, have no regrets and if you do choose the M5, please let us all know what color , So we will show some sympanthy at the light.

I am going to be taking the 3 day spring mountain driving school course and will obtain much knowledge about my American built Vehicle.

To each his own, let us know what you choose

Most M5 owners do tuning pkg's with DINAN & others.

Please let us know what you choose
Old 01-26-2006, 02:55 AM
427Z
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get the M5 + C6Z. if it only comes down to one car, and you're looking for performance and style, you need the real deal. there is no substitute. no where else to turn. only the Z06 will do.

(waiting for my C6Z)

Last edited by 427Z; 01-26-2006 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:55 AM
TripleBlack99
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

i would consider the m5 too if it were not for the following things:

- performance is really important to me so even thought the m5 is a great performer and a lot of people would not be able to tell the difference in performance if they drove them, i would and it makes a difference to me.

- looks: i dont like the headlights of the z06, but i dont like the banglelights of the new m5 and the bangle sides and the bangle butt... so even though i think the z06 could have had a better front it wins in looks for a lot of the other angles. If the m5 stuck with the last generation styling and tweaked/updated it a little then looks would not be a factor, i.e. they would interest me about the same since the last m5 had great looks.

so if it were not for those two items it would have had to think a lot harder about my purchase decision just like you, because the m5 has great plusses like better interior and passenger carrying ability and very comfortably quiet interior i.e. more sound insulation and thicker glass. So it all depends on what you personally put value on.. just make a list of your priorities and figure out which fits best. When i look at and drive my velocity yellow Z every day i know for sure i made the right decision for me, because i knew what my personal priorities were when making my decision.

Last edited by TripleBlack99; 01-26-2006 at 02:58 AM.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:00 AM
EMINENT 1
Drifting

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

I wouldn't think of a car as an investment. If I wanted a car and can afford it, I am going to get it.

Make up your mind. You obviously aren't a die hard. What do YOU want?
Old 01-26-2006, 03:14 AM
MagicMtnDan
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Good post and good question to a Corvette-biased board.

They're both incredible cars but they're VERY different. If you want a family mobile that most people on the street won't know that it's anything more than a BMW then get the M5.

It's an incredible machine BUT (a) it's incredibly ugly (my opinion but you asked) - the previous 5 series, heck, all the previous BMW's, were way better looking. And (b) it's a sedan and can't really be compared to a high performance sports car. If you want a two-seater with world class performance it's the Z06. If you want a four door car that has world class performance (for a sedan) and you think the 5-series is good looking, go for it.

It's a no brainer for me. Besides, I'd rather have a CLS55 - it's a WAY better looking sedan even if it can't keep up with the M5. And MB interiors are WAY nicer than BMW's (very boring interiors).

Sorry if you don't like it but you did ask
Old 01-26-2006, 04:41 AM
vjones
Burning Brakes

Get the M5, and then give me your space in line for the Z06

Really, let me know if you get the M and I'd be happy to take your spot,

Thank you,

VJones

Originally Posted by Oldcars
OK,
I'm not trying to start a chest thumping contest, but I've noticed many of us loyal Corvette owners do own other high performance cars. Some of you are acknowledged Viper owners, as evidenced by some of the photos taken in your garages.

I have an interesting dilemma and would appreciate some open-minded non-flamed responses:

I test drove a 2006 BMW M5 today. 500 HP, V-10, 8250 rpm redline, SMP transmission, 383 lb-ft of torque. Beautifully appointed, with HUD, NAV, stereo, blue tooth, and other creature comforts.

4 years - 50,000 mile warranty includes maintainence (brakes, clutch, oil changes). Dealer also includes valet service - pickup at home, loaner car, and car returned washed. Also free inspection.

New M5 owners also get a free 3 day training school, with lodging, at the Spartanburg, SC plant.

In the Philly area, I found 3 of these cars, on the ground, and all at MSRP. Apparently, there are rumors of dealers in CA (of course) selling them for 20K over, but there are opportunities here even without going to the extreme gouge.

Granted, it's not a Corvette. I know it's not a Chebby. I know it has 5 less horsepower than the Z. I know it's a sedan. I also know that it's not American.

I also know the MSRP is almost 20K more than the MSRP of the Z06. However, since some of us (including me) are considering buying the Z at over MSRP - that closes the difference between the cost of the cars.

It's one thing to open the checkbook and buy the cars. But if you are considering a leasing option, the Z06 is not a good lease candidate. However, the M5, through BMW Financial, has a 61% residual after 36 months. Aggressive money factor and you can have one for about $2500 down and $1400/mos for 36 months. I've read some posts about people paying more for their Z06...

Cost of ownership between the cars is roughly the same if you compare what the original purchase price is, compared to what it is worth after 3 years.

I've driven the C6 - auto and manual, and the Z06 twice. I'm excited to be on the dealer list for the Z06, even at $2500 over MSRP. But....the M5 was quite a powerful and exciting ride. And we didn't get into launching it and going WOT.

I had a 1999 540i because I couldn't find a new M5 at that time. I've been in several Ms over the years and drove my friend's M3 and M5.

Anyone here have BMW experience and can offer pros/cons between the cars? Again - I'm on this forum because my first thoughts are for the Z...

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 vs. BMW M5

Old 01-26-2006, 05:49 AM
VETTE_ESE
Melting Slicks

like most have stated here..... if you have a huge family like most mexican do then get the M5... if your into the sporty and give two S**T about your family and have them walk to school or where ever else then the Z06 is for you.. but at the end it all comes down too YOU..
Old 01-26-2006, 05:59 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

IMO there is no comparing two cars that are so different. The fact that you would even try to compare makes me choose the M5 for you.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:37 AM
panic
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i just hate german cars. full stop

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 vs. BMW M5