Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] zo6 owners care if a camaro got the ls7?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 07:38 PM
427Z
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PacerX
Oh... I'm sorry...

Did I say base? :o

I meant Z51.

"By the way......little known fact that we never were allowed to talk about. A 1999 Camaro SS with 1LE suspension was marginally faster on a road course than a 1999 C5 Corvette with Z51 suspension. Our own engineers would prove it at Milford and in Nevada."

The source for the above is impeccable... he goes by "Fbodfather" and was the assistant brand manager for the F-cars.

Sorry to play with your pointy little head there a bit. It was mean of me to say "base" when I knew it was the Z51 all along. Just wanted to see if you'd bite.

And you did.

I'm waiting for the next set of excuses, btw... after you're done choking down those feathers.

Yeah, that IRS sure helped 1999 Z51's a whole bunch...

You're right, there should be no feud... having a discussion with someone as ignorant and biased as yourself is rather pointless.

Have a nice day.
Oh boy.. another ls1tech guy trying to stir the pot. listen kid, calling people names makes YOU look like an a$$.

no where did i make any personal attacks. the fact that you did speaks volumes about your insecurity and lack of maturity.

the biggest difference on a track between a C5 and C5Z was the tires. the runcraps suck big time.

put some good tires on a C5 and see where we stand. and Quit bench racing already with your so called magazine data.

oh, and grow up
Old 01-20-2006, 08:01 PM
PacerX
Burning Brakes

Received 354 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnDFW
Oh boy.. another ls1tech guy trying to stir the pot. listen kid, calling people names makes YOU look like an a$$.
And your blatant ignorance makes YOU look like the tool you are. Before you bag on certain rides, you might want to find out what they're truly capable of.

The F-cars may not be some people's first choice, but there is no denying the fact that at their price point they were the top performers of their era.

Dumb AND opinionated is no way to go through life, Sparky... so next time you decide to open your mouth, I would suggest you get a little bit of learning first.

You can make any excuse you want (tires, wind, astrology, menstrual cycle), but at the end of the day, stock for stock, a full-book SS Camaro most assuredly WAS quicker around a road course than a Z51 Corvette - and that's no magazine race BS, GM's engineers proved it for themselves.

Ummm.... I'm not an Ls1tech guy, and I am most assuredly not a kid.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:28 PM
427Z
Le Mans Master

getting personal and calling names over a simple topic like cars means that either you are very young and immature or older but mentaly under developed and since you assured me you were not a kid...

your trash talking will stop the day you can afford a vette. until then, run your mouth all you like.

Old 01-20-2006, 08:32 PM
louieT
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And your blatant ignorance makes YOU look like the tool you are. Before you bag on certain rides, you might want to find out what they're truly capable of.

The F-cars may not be some people's first choice, but there is no denying the fact that at their price point they were the top performers of their era.

Dumb AND opinionated is no way to go through life, Sparky... so next time you decide to open your mouth, I would suggest you get a little bit of learning first.

You can make any excuse you want (tires, wind, astrology, menstrual cycle), but at the end of the day, stock for stock, a full-book SS Camaro most assuredly WAS quicker around a road course than a Z51 Corvette - and that's no magazine race BS, GM's engineers proved it for themselves.

Ummm.... I'm not an Ls1tech guy, and I am most assuredly not a kid.

Thats my nickname! so I have to call Trade Mark (TM) on Spanky...

So no more Spanky inserts Mister...

Old 01-20-2006, 09:31 PM
zo6vetteman2003
Drifting

"By the way......little known fact that we never were allowed to talk about. A 1999 Camaro SS with 1LE suspension was marginally faster on a road course than a 1999 C5 Corvette with Z51 suspension. Our own engineers would prove it at Milford and in Nevada."
The 99' Hardtop (FRC) is a Z51 C5.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:51 PM
Futfixr
Burning Brakes

I love F-bodies. I own a 2002 Camaro SS. I am heavily modded, so any C5 is no competition, unless modded. They have to keep the cost of the new generation F-bodies down to compete, and I don't believe they would ever try to one-up the corvette. The Corvette is king. It will always be the one to covet for an F-body owner. I did, but now that I have my C6Z, I still respect the F-body; and can't wait for it's return!!
Old 01-20-2006, 09:55 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Old 01-20-2006, 10:05 PM
zo6vetteman2003
Drifting

Originally Posted by Futfixr
I love F-bodies. I own a 2002 Camaro SS. I am heavily modded, so any C5 is no competition, unless modded. They have to keep the cost of the new generation F-bodies down to compete, and I don't believe they would ever try to one-up the corvette. The Corvette is king. It will always be the one to covet for an F-body owner. I did, but now that I have my C6Z, I still respect the F-body; and can't wait for it's return!!
I've seen alot of fast F-bodies around here. We all race up to New England dragway and do alot of meets together. F-bodies, Corvettes and Grand Nationals. Alot of fun for sure.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:16 PM
Lastknight0
Pro

Honestly, i think a cool thing to do would be to let the Camaro SS step up to battle with SVT Cobras and SRT Chargers/Challengers, make the base Vette on par with a viper, and make the Z06 america's 2nd (3rd if you count the S7) true supercar. over 550 horses, and a BIG BIG focus on handling (and light weight) and the interior, would be a great way to create America's flagship Supercar and shut those trash talking Europeans up
Old 01-20-2006, 11:32 PM
LJZ06
Intermediate

I think it would be great to have a 427 SS. I would buy one
Old 01-20-2006, 11:40 PM
louieT
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LJZ06
I think it would be great to have a 427 SS. I would buy one

I just like the ZO6.. Maybe I am biased but some things are better left alone.. IMHO..

Camaro SS sounds ok and would at least take back some of that Mustang market..

Corvette SS....

Old 01-20-2006, 11:52 PM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RonnieSVT
Would Zo6 owners care if GM built a 427 SS Version of the new Camaro
with the ls7 in it?
Yes I care....it's looking like that Camaro may be here before my Z06 is.
I better get a deposit on one and see which shows first !!!!!!
Old 01-22-2006, 03:18 PM
DigRacer
2nd Gear

I think the new Camaro should have an LS7 option. It needs something to help compete with Fords new 450hp GT500 Mustangs. As far as pricing, the 2002 ZL1 Berger Camaros with the C5R 427 option sold for close to $100k. If GM makes an LS7 powered Camaro and keep it in the GT500's price range,(45-50K), GM fans as well as collectors will buy it. Knowing GM, the regular LS2 powered Camaros will probably end up being around 30-35K. I personally would pay 10-15K more to get the LS7 and the beefed up parts that would most likely come with it.

And one more point....Vettes are built for road course handling and therefore work well with their IRS rear suspension. REAL Camaros are meant to have a solid rear axle! (And they better be stronger this time than those junk 7.5" S-10 rearends GM graced us with in the 4th gens!)

Last edited by DigRacer; 01-22-2006 at 03:30 PM. Reason: added info

Quick Reply: [Z06] zo6 owners care if a camaro got the ls7?