Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] TPS Report from the Field

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 11:00 AM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default TPS Report from the Field

I mounted my track tires which have a new set of TPS sensors, but DID NOT reset the car to those sensors. Then I set off on an 80 mile trip to Willow Springs. At about 30 minutes into the trip the DIC displayed a TPS system warning message. Hit reset, and the message disappeared, and did not reappear until I restarted the car after reaching my destination. Reset and the message disappeared again. However, while TC could be disengaged, AH could not be disengaged nor could the car be put in COMP mode. I then did the TPS reset with the radio tool, and all was well with the TPS system. My Z is a fairly early model (VIN 005xx).

The only variable I'm not sure of is whether the presence of an unrecognized set of sensors caused the car to go into a deeper mode of protection than would have been the case had there been no sensors at all. I don't know. But I do know that the car could not have been driven at the track without going into COMP mode or turning AH off altogether - R compound tires and full AH mode will not cut it at Willow Springs.

Another bit of the puzzle . . .

Last edited by allanlaw; 01-19-2006 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:21 AM
vettemaster1
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very interesting....when my warning came on and i pushed reset i was able to take off ac/tc and go into comp mode.....[ no sensors in my wheels]
Old 01-19-2006, 11:34 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

Added to post #40 of the FAQ.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:36 AM
jfreez
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

TPS report, I thought it was going to be a good office space joke.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:56 AM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vettemaster1
very interesting....when my warning came on and i pushed reset i was able to take off ac/tc and go into comp mode.....[ no sensors in my wheels]
I knew you would be interested in this. The implication of the existence of an unregistered set of sensors causing a change in the way the car handles the TPS warning means that the car could be affected by TPS sensors on another nearby vehicle. You may remember some time ago when I passed along a report that a Corvette driving school thought its C6 cars without TPS sensors were being affected by sensors on students' cars. This was thought to be highly unlikely. I still doubt it. But that doesn't answer the question as to why your car and my car seem to be of unlike minds . . .
Old 01-19-2006, 12:02 PM
Webfoot
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by allanlaw
I knew you would be interested in this. The implication of the existence of an unregistered set of sensors causing a change in the way the car handles the TPS warning means that the car could be affected by TPS sensors on another nearby vehicle. You may remember some time ago when I passed along a report that a Corvette driving school thought its C6 cars without TPS sensors were being affected by sensors on students' cars. This was thought to be highly unlikely. I still doubt it. But that doesn't answer the question as to why your car and my car seem to be of unlike minds . . .
I guess progress is a good thing, but sometimes I think cars are over-computerized. Maybe a tire pressure warning system is OK, but it should be for info only and shouldn't be able to affect the car's performance. My opinion.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:40 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I would guess that the designer of this feature is using it for a safety device due to the power of the vehicle.I would also think that if one tire was way out of wake that at high speeds it could make a very unstable situation.But I am no expert!
Old 01-19-2006, 06:54 PM
vettemaster1
Drifting

ok...so how did u like the car with race rubber at the track?....i have a race next weekend...i will make sure to drive far enough to get the code to set and then double check that i can get into comp mode and turn it all off mode!!
Old 01-19-2006, 07:06 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vettemaster1
ok...so how did u like the car with race rubber at the track?....i have a race next weekend...i will make sure to drive far enough to get the code to set and then double check that i can get into comp mode and turn it all off mode!!
PM on its way - set the code, shut down, restart car and then try to get into COMP mode. That will duplicate what I did.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:25 PM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

Different car, but when driving my 350z to VIR on a cold morning, without sensors and my friend in his 350z next to me, with wheels, tires and sensors that I sold him off of my car, I picked up a low tire pressure warning and could read his pressures.

Did I read correct, wheels without any sensors installed can turn of AH and go into Comp. mode?
Old 01-31-2006, 02:01 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by corvette pilot
Did I read correct, wheels without any sensors installed can turn of AH and go into Comp. mode?
Some say yes, some say no.

Get notified of new replies

To TPS Report from the Field

Quick Reply: [Z06] TPS Report from the Field