C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Predator - Feedback & Results

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 10:30 AM
05_C6Z51
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator - Feedback & Results

I'd like to see members post their feedback and/or results from using the Predator. Mine is on order and should be here today.

As a side note, I found James to be very professional and have confidence he will stand behind what he sells.

Rick
Old 01-18-2006, 11:55 AM
somewhatdamaged
Instructor

Default Feedback

Hi,
I received mine yesterday. I am waiting to hear back from RWTD about getting the Predator to sync to my computer, as so I can send my original factory tune in for customizing. I had a predator for my old car, and the fact that it uses a serial port connection was also a little tricky last time. I noticed on the DiabloSport website that the GM software listed is still the 03-04 year version. I am suspecting that is the issue. I have yet to install the performance tune, as I was hoping to get this resolved first. I'll keep you posted!

Somewhatdamaged
Old 01-19-2006, 12:29 AM
05_C6Z51
Pro

Originally Posted by somewhatdamaged
Hi,
I received mine yesterday. I am waiting to hear back from RWTD about getting the Predator to sync to my computer, as so I can send my original factory tune in for customizing. I had a predator for my old car, and the fact that it uses a serial port connection was also a little tricky last time. I noticed on the DiabloSport website that the GM software listed is still the 03-04 year version. I am suspecting that is the issue. I have yet to install the performance tune, as I was hoping to get this resolved first. I'll keep you posted!

Somewhatdamaged
Thanks. BTW, funny screen name.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:08 PM
RWTD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by somewhatdamaged
Hi,
I received mine yesterday. I am waiting to hear back from RWTD about getting the Predator to sync to my computer, as so I can send my original factory tune in for customizing.
I believe I spoken with you yesterday on the phone??? Cool!

My goal is for this week, friend! I have already started the instructions, and all I am waiting on now is for Johan to shoot me over the updated Predator PC Interface so your LS2 Predator and PC can communicate with one another. I will announce to everyone as soon as that becomes available. I'm excited, too!

Everyone, there is also some good feedback on www.ls2gto.com/forums in the Tuning/Dyno Results sub-forum:

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10

Regards...
Old 01-19-2006, 01:50 PM
somewhatdamaged
Instructor

Hi James,
Yeah, i spoke to you yesterday afternoon. In the meantime, I went ahead and installed the performance tune, and I am impressed! Definitely feel a nice difference in 1st-2nd, have yet to even open up to WOT. Thanks for the great customer service, and quick response! Look forward to the new software and custom tune. Didn't mess with the spark advance stuff, (CA 91 octane), i'll leave that to the experts, if necessary.

Thanks again,
Ralph
Old 01-19-2006, 11:01 PM
CRZFINN
Instructor

Well, the manual should be better but the tool is very easy to use and you don't need the manual after initial setup.

With Diablo's basic tune there is sure something funny with the fans. When I start the car in the morning (cold) the fans are on all the time and they will stay on for the whole 30 min commute to work...! Then when I start a warm engine later on the afternoon, the fans are not on and they will stay off, even that that the climate is much warmer! Do I smell a bug ?

However I love the product concept!

And will contact James soon for a custom tune for Vararam intake...
Old 01-20-2006, 09:07 AM
Norm_427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FinnVette
With Diablo's basic tune there is sure something funny with the fans. When I start the car in the morning (cold) the fans are on all the time and they will stay on for the whole 30 min commute to work...! Then when I start a warm engine later on the afternoon, the fans are not on and they will stay off, even that that the climate is much warmer! Do I smell a bug ?
AutoCutter said earlier in this same post, "I note that the fan seems to be running darn near all the time..."

That's 2 people with the same fan issue. (Mine is arriving next week.) My Q is, you guys have uploaded the performance tune that comes with the Predator but to correct the fan issue can you guys go back in and adjust the fan parameters individually?

Last edited by Norm_427; 01-20-2006 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:26 AM
CRZFINN
Instructor

My Q is, you guys have uploaded the performance tune that comes with the Predator but to correct the fan issue can you guys go back in and adjust the fan parameters individually?
Yes, the problem seems to be with the "Diablo's performance tune" that comes with the product. Btw, I think James suggested somewhere in this forum not to use that anyway.

This morning I switched to "factory HP tune" and just disabled the GAGS and fans seem to work normally.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:49 AM
Norm_427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FinnVette
Yes, the problem seems to be with the "Diablo's performance tune" that comes with the product. Btw, I think James suggested somewhere in this forum not to use that anyway.

This morning I switched to "factory HP tune" and just disabled the GAGS and fans seem to work normally.
I'm glad to hear your fans are working better. Do you have a low temp thermostat? I wonder what the differences are between the 2 tunes...

Last edited by Norm_427; 01-20-2006 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:30 PM
somewhatdamaged
Instructor

I far as I understand TM is disabled in both stock and performance tunes. Has anyone adjusted spark advance for 91 octane? I wanted to be on the safe side, as I live in Southern CA
Old 01-20-2006, 02:48 PM
CRZFINN
Instructor

Do you have a low temp thermostat? I wonder what the differences are between the 2 tunes...
Standard thermostat. I would assume the "factory HP tune" will not effect timing or fuel charts, but you can still modify the parameters yourself. Like GAGS.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:18 PM
Norm_427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Sounds like that "performance tune" doesn't allow you to adjust the fan percentages. Is that right? But with the "factory tune" (?) you can do the adjustment to the fans and other parameters but you don't have the performance increase from the timing and fuel curves like you would in the "performance tune" -- you would have to do that yourself or have help from a tuner.

Sounds like Diablo may need to tweak the fan settings on their "performance tune". ?

Maybe James from RTWD will come in here and help us.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:30 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

they may want the fans to run all the time so the temp does not go up and cause KR with the performance tune. the second fan does not come on till 230 degrees if the A/C is not on and this could cause KR to come into play at the elevated temps JMHO
Old 01-20-2006, 08:59 PM
redhot6
Instructor

Originally Posted by normlunt
Sounds like that "performance tune" doesn't allow you to adjust the fan percentages. Is that right? But with the "factory tune" (?) you can do the adjustment to the fans and other parameters but you don't have the performance increase from the timing and fuel curves like you would in the "performance tune" -- you would have to do that yourself or have help from a tuner.

Sounds like Diablo may need to tweak the fan settings on their "performance tune". ?

Maybe James from RTWD will come in here and help us.
You can adjust the performance tune just like the factory HP tune, making the same changes to the same settings.

For torque management the manual indicates On/Off settings for three different things: Torque Management abuse mode time limit; % torque reduction vs. RPM and Upshift torque reduction (all gears). An "Off" selection for all three is supposed to totally eliminate torque management.

I hope RWTD jumps in here and helps to explain.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:44 PM
Norm_427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by redhot6
You can adjust the performance tune just like the factory HP tune, making the same changes to the same settings.

For torque management the manual indicates On/Off settings for three different things: Torque Management abuse mode time limit; % torque reduction vs. RPM and Upshift torque reduction (all gears). An "Off" selection for all three is supposed to totally eliminate torque management.

I hope RWTD jumps in here and helps to explain.
Being able to adjust the performance tune is great news. When mine arrives next week I think I'll just modify that tune for the fan to get it to where it isn't running too much but still keeping things cool -- I have a 160 stat. I'm sure it will be a trade-off since it is a rheostat kind of fan operation.

TM disable is also wonderful.

James hasn't posted all day so it will probably be Monday before we hear from him ...

Someone is sure to post some dyno #s in the next week or so. Maybe the ETs will make even a larger difference than the dyno #s indicate due to the elimination of TM.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:16 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same exact issue with the fans here on the Diablo tune. When the car is bone cold, the fan runs full blast constantly. Then after it warms up, the fan runs while the car is moving and shuts off as soon as you come to a stop! This sure seems backwards to me! Bass ackwards in fact! I actually took the Diablo tune out and went back to the factory HP tune and did some fuel mixture adjustments and a hint of spark advance (just to the point where spark knock was no longer detected). I also set the fans on +10%. I gather this should make the fans come on sooner since the parameter is listed as "power vs. ECT". I see no reason to run the fan at full speed while the car is moving as that puts unnecessary stress on the fan, will likely reduce its life, and after driving for more than an hour in that mode, the coolant temps were no cooler than with the fan operating normally (off at highway speed rather than on). I also experienced quite a bit of spark knock on 93 octane with the Diablo tune, so I don't plan to use that tune.

Also, I don't show any "settable" parameters for torque management at all on mine! There are no adjustable parameters for that. The only mention of TM that I see is in the real time data when you are reading it with the engine running. In the custom tune mode, there are no settings to adjust that say anything about TM. Are you guys saying that some of you have TM settings that you can change?

Mike

Last edited by mikeyc6; 01-20-2006 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:39 AM
Norm_427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

There is more LS2 Predator info on the GTO forum (even though the address is LS1 it goes to the LS2 discussion):

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58613

Get notified of new replies

To Predator - Feedback & Results

Old 01-22-2006, 08:02 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by normlunt
There is more LS2 Predator info on the GTO forum (even though the address is LS1 it goes to the LS2 discussion):

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58613
Thanks!

I spent the last two hours tuning. I started with the factory HP tune and modified. My LTFTs were about +12% to +14%. I dialed those in so that they were in the range -2 to 0. I then started advancing timing until I got knock retard (as indicated via the real time data) and I backed it off a bit from there. I ended up using 0 for the low RPM range, +2 for the mid range, and +5 for the high range. The only other thing I did was go +10% on the fans and made the WOT fuel mixture just a hint leaner (I think -2%) based on the fact that my WOT O2 values were .91-.92 to start which in my experience is just a hint rich. After my -2% adjustment to fuel mixture, they were down to about .89 and .90 for sensor 1 & 2 which in past experience is what my C5 liked. My other mods are Vortex Rammer intake (possibly what caused the LTFTs to be off in the first place) and Corsa Touring exhaust. Now, after the tuning, the car absolutely stands up on its rear wheels on takeoff. I don't detect any lag when shifting and it's difficult to keep the tires planted now when taking off in 1st. Big difference! I made some dyno runs before the tune so I'll make some after driving the car a week or so in similar weather to make sure everything settled down and it's a good comparison.

Mike

Last edited by mikeyc6; 01-22-2006 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:30 PM
KGB6
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikeyc6
Thanks!

I spent the last two hours tuning. I started with the factory HP tune and modified. My LTFTs were about +12% to +14%. I dialed those in so that they were in the range -2 to 0. I then started advancing timing until I got knock retard (as indicated via the real time data) and I backed it off a bit from there. I ended up using 0 for the low RPM range, +2 for the mid range, and +5 for the high range. The only other thing I did was go +10% on the fans and made the WOT fuel mixture just a hint leaner (I think -2%) based on the fact that my WOT O2 values were .91-.92 to start which in my experience is just a hint rich. After my -2% adjustment to fuel mixture, they were down to about .89 and .90 for sensor 1 & 2 which in past experience is what my C5 liked. My other mods are Vortex Rammer intake (possibly what caused the LTFTs to be off in the first place) and Corsa Touring exhaust. Now, after the tuning, the car absolutely stands up on its rear wheels on takeoff. I don't detect any lag when shifting and it's difficult to keep the tires planted now when taking off in 1st. Big difference! I made some dyno runs before the tune so I'll make some after driving the car a week or so in similar weather to make sure everything settled down and it's a good comparison.

Mike
Mike,

Are you pulling the radio fuse every time you make adjustments? (It's a real pain.) How much fuel did you have to add to get your trims down to 0? ...and what kind of discrepancy are you seeing on the trims between the left and right banks?
Thanks
Old 01-22-2006, 09:52 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by KGB6
Mike,

Are you pulling the radio fuse every time you make adjustments? (It's a real pain.) How much fuel did you have to add to get your trims down to 0? ...and what kind of discrepancy are you seeing on the trims between the left and right banks?
Thanks
I do pull the fuse every time, but I did forget once and after the tune finished loading to the car, the radio was still fine. My heart skipped a few beats because I realized that I forgot to pull the fuse just after I pressed the button to load the tune. Even though I experienced no problems that time, I still pull it every time now.

My trims started out at +12 to +14 so I dialed in -12 on the injector slope and that was all I needed: that one iteration pulled them down to near zero. I then noticed that just holding a steady speed (like 40-55 MPH) at very little throttle tends to show trims that are about 2 points off from other trims where the gas is pressed down a little more. As you press down on the gas, you enter new cells based on both throttle and RPM. I found the low RPM low throttle cells to be a little skewed from the rest of the cells so when you do your trims, be sure to go up a hill where you can hold the throttle at say 1/4 throttle for a little while and see what those trims are. I set mine to favor the trims with a little more throttle since they seemed more consistent. Again, I don't think it makes too much difference since they were only off by about 2-3 points.

As to your final question, I'm seeing anywhere between 1 and 2 points difference between the left and right banks. For examlpe, I might see about 0 in one bank and -1.5 in the other. Pretty typical from what I've seen.

Mike

Quick Reply: Predator - Feedback & Results