C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

cleaners and polishes

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 09:12 PM
61Vettedad
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaners and polishes

hey I just got a 61 vette thats been sitting a long time and needs a real good cleaning with all you guys experience can you give me some recommendations on good products available locally? For;
Paint
chrome (some pitting)
Stainless steel (Some scratches)
Rubber gaskets
Old 01-12-2006, 10:00 PM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may want to check on having it professionally buffed out ? They use to charge around $100.00. Black is bad to show to swirl marks - so make sure they have experience. If you want to hand rub it - find a local autobody supply store. You may even want to drive it to the store and ask them to look at it. You can buy the professional grade 3M buffing/rubbing compounds there. They can also tell you if it is base coat clear coat or single stage and it makes a difference. They may also have in stock - Wenol for polishing the chrome. If not, you can order it online. It won't help pitting, but it will shine like a new dime. Someone posted in another thread that they purchased a polishing kit consisting of Wenol and buffing pads to use on a regular bench grinder from Eastwood. If the rubber is dried out - it may be too late. There may be a conditioner out there for it ?
Old 01-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

I would not use "Chrome Polish" on chrome, unless it absolutely requires it. Chrome polish by nature is pretty abrasive, and will do more damage than good.

Best to use the minimum abrasive for any of your needs, be that paint, chrome, etc.

Anyone try the old coke (Coca-cola) and alum. foil on damaged chrome?

Plasticman
Old 01-12-2006, 11:57 PM
327Heaven
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 61Vettedad
hey I just got a 61 vette thats been sitting a long time and needs a real good cleaning with all you guys experience can you give me some recommendations on good products available locally? For;
Paint
chrome (some pitting)
Stainless steel (Some scratches)
Rubber gaskets
Paint: black = j/k nice color if you can do it right
chrome = windex to clean & auto wax to seal; can't help w/the pits
Stainless = 0000 steel wool; white rubbing compound; simichrome; check for recent stainless threads on scratch removal
Rubber gaskets/trim = silicone spray; no armourall
Old 01-13-2006, 12:34 AM
Seaside63
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Brasso is great on chrome. It has chemical cleaners and a super light abrasive that scrubs chrome clean without damaging it. If you're gentle it will do a great job.

Chrome Polish should be called Chrome Remover.

Get notified of new replies

To cleaners and polishes

Quick Reply: cleaners and polishes