C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is OnStar = Cellphone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 01:29 AM
JohnDS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is OnStar = Cellphone?

I was wondering, if I don't renew my OnStar contract, could I still pay to have the built in cell phone access if the minutes are paid for? I think it is something like $40 for 100 minutes, so would that still work if I didn't renew my contract with OnStar for my 05 C6?

Thanks,

John
Old 01-11-2006, 01:34 AM
ZR1Owner
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry...no Onstar....no Phone!

I just switched my cell to Verizon Wireless which supplies the service for the Phone in the Vette and the terrestrial cell support for Onstar in more urban areas. That does allow me to use a family plan, and have the minutes linked so that I am not using the Vette phone like a prepaid. Saves money. If you do the math on that vs buying the extra minutes on the Vette phone, it pays for about half to two-thirds of the Onstar cost. Makes it a nice thing to have for not much money at that point.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:42 AM
SteveM10
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by ZR1Owner
Sorry...no Onstar....no Phone!

I just switched my cell to Verizon Wireless which supplies the service for the Phone in the Vette and the terrestrial cell support for Onstar in more urban areas. That does allow me to use a family plan, and have the minutes linked so that I am not using the Vette phone like a prepaid. Saves money. If you do the math on that vs buying the extra minutes on the Vette phone, it pays for about half to two-thirds of the Onstar cost. Makes it a nice thing to have for not much money at that point.
I have a verizon family plan now. Does this mean that I can have verizon add the vettes to my family plan and I can use the built phone as long as I keep Onstar?
Old 01-11-2006, 01:51 AM
ZR1Owner
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SteveM10
I have a verizon family plan now. Does this mean that I can have verizon add the vettes to my family plan and I can use the built phone as long as I keep Onstar?

It should. I work in the industry, so I knew all the buzzwords to use at the Verizon store. Don't be shocked if you have to talk to a few folks and try and stay away from the re-sellers or indirect sales...go right to a VW store. You may have to get rid of the current number in your vettes.

With the 3 lines you have it really makes sense for you. If your wife has VW cell too, your Onstar would be basically free vs paying for the Onstar minutes.

The trick is to buy an "IN" plan (like their 1400 Minute plan...which is like $90). You then have to pay another $10 ( I think) for the third line. Then both your vettes, and your cell, would share the 1400 minutes. But, since you have the IN plan, if you call vette to vette...its included, and doesn't count towards your minutes. Likewise to any other vette owner with the installed phone, or a VW cell phone, whom you call who has done the same or another IN plan.

If you do the math vs paying $40 to Onstar for 100 minutes for 2 vettes, it a no brainer.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:06 AM
SteveM10
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by ZR1Owner
It should. I work in the industry, so I knew all the buzzwords to use at the Verizon store. Don't be shocked if you have to talk to a few folks and try and stay away from the re-sellers or indirect sales...go right to a VW store. You may have to get rid of the current number in your vettes.

With the 3 lines you have it really makes sense for you. If your wife has VW cell too, your Onstar would be basically free vs paying for the Onstar minutes.

The trick is to buy an "IN" plan (like their 1400 Minute plan...which is like $90). You then have to pay another $10 ( I think) for the third line. Then both your vettes, and your cell, would share the 1400 minutes. But, since you have the IN plan, if you call vette to vette...its included, and doesn't count towards your minutes. Likewise to any other vette owner with the installed phone, or a VW cell phone, whom you call who has done the same or another IN plan.

If you do the math vs paying $40 to Onstar for 100 minutes for 2 vettes, it a no brainer.
Excellent...thanks for the info...

Get notified of new replies

To Is OnStar = Cellphone?

Quick Reply: Is OnStar = Cellphone?