Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Trailer choice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 06:23 PM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tire Trailer choice?

OK,

I'm getting ready put a tire trailer together for towing behing the Z06 to AutoX and track events. I have fond these two trailers and I think one looks far better, curious if folks have used this one over the other.

Trailer 1

Trailer 2

It looks hands down like trailer 1 is beter built and offers more for $20 more? It is a bit heavier but I don't that that matters.

What do you think?
Old 01-05-2006, 08:50 PM
MilehighZ51
Advanced

Option #2 is a bit longer, which in theory may provide a little more tracking stability, but you probably wouldn't notice any difference. On the other hand, option #1 comes with a floor and, as you mention, APPEARS to be more structurally sound. (I like the color better, too!)

I bought the cheaper one because it was...well...cheap AND on sale! After another 10% discount coupon that my wife had found, I paid $130+tax. It was somewhat flimsy, however I fabricated a bolt-in rack for my tires and mounted an aluminum tool box. It's a pretty tough little trailer now.

Either trailer would work great.

Last edited by MilehighZ51; 01-05-2006 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:02 PM
LeadSSled
Heel & Toe

I used the trailer you've shown as option #1 and customized it for my needs. It trails great, at least behind a taxi cab. It will travel all day long at 80 mph and I've had very short bursts of 90 or so on the open highway with no loss of stability. It was not too difficult to assemble and is pretty solid. Here is a photo of my setup; there are more on my website: http://home.mindspring.com/~tkehne/

Last edited by LeadSSled; 01-05-2006 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:11 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Either one should work fine. There's about a 30 lb. difference between the two and you should keep the total towed weight to 500 lbs or under.

I went with the cheaper red trailer as I made my own bed from plywood and cut it so that it overhangs the trailer rails. Both trailers have a failry short tongue and mine is a real PITA to back up. I'll probably lenghten the tongue by a foot or so for the upcoming season. This will change the tongue weight a bit so I may have to move stuff around.

If you go with either one of these trailers, make sure that you remove the bearings and clean them and then do a good repack with quality wheel bearing grease. When I checked mine, there was only about a teaspoon full of grease in the bearings for both sides

I also swapped out the receiver for a 2" ball. That way I can tow the trailer with my truck. It only takes me a few minutes to pull the storage box and the mounting posts for the wheels (mine sit flat) so I have a small flatbed trailer to use.

Last edited by c4cruiser; 01-05-2006 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:46 PM
johninar
Drifting

I would suggest you look at the Tractor Supply trailer. It's a bit more (299 on sale, or 349 reg price). 12" tires, all welded construction. Pulls great, already has expanded metal floor. I like the extra room.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:02 AM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

According to their site

TSC # 1011070 4 Ft. X 6 Ft. Tilt Utility Trailer
Fully Lighted & Wired To D.O.T. Specifications 1,500 Lb. Gross Vehicle Weight Includes Title & VIN Tag

$349.98

"Please check with your local store ... "
I like the raised sides and the implied additional stiffness. I'll have to
look to see whether these are available north of the 49th.

Old 01-06-2006, 02:26 AM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

I actually have the Option 2 trailer. Great trailer. You need the length so everything can fit on it.

Old 01-06-2006, 06:40 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by johninar
I would suggest you look at the Tractor Supply trailer. It's a bit more (299 on sale, or 349 reg price). 12" tires, all welded construction. Pulls great, already has expanded metal floor. I like the extra room.
I had the red one but more room and longer is good.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:49 AM
shotchkiss
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another TSC trailer user here, the extra space on it is nice, you can bungie anything to the metal floor, and it tracks really well also.

( Not the best picture, but it's the only one I could find. Same trailer model as the picture above mine )

Last edited by shotchkiss; 01-06-2006 at 11:54 AM. Reason: spellling
Old 01-06-2006, 12:52 PM
76stingracer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have option #2 No problems after five years. Nice little trailers. One suggestion, after having people almost plow into the back of me on many occasions I added a third brake light in the tooxbox on the back. The box is simular to "qwik96GS" set up. Has worked wonders the last three years.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Being that I am also a boater and own about three jet skiis... I use a jet ski trailer. I can take up to two sets of tires and it has the bigger wheels. I'm not even going to discuss the speeds that this shorelander trailor has seen.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:05 PM
TravisD
Burning Brakes

I have the TSC 4x6 footer as well. Works great -- including a couple of times recently when I've carried two full sets of wheels & tires with me. Only thing I have to point out is that you don't want to just bolt the storage box right to the expanded metal floor -- it'll flex and break fairly quickly. I ended up welding on a couple of pieces of angle-iron that I ran the box bolts into -- much sturdier. You could probably get away with just some pieces of wood as well.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:48 PM
Cbntmn
Racer

Is that the 4x6 trailer that Tractor supply has? it looks like it tilts on their website. If thats the one I think ill pick it up. Got a buddy with a welder and I think I have a plan for a removable tire rack. Ill post some pics when its done
Old 01-09-2006, 10:08 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

One thing to keep in mind is the Harbor Freight trailers take a LOT of assembly. I wore out the battery in my HF impact putting the all the nylock nuts on, had to switch to the real impact. Forget trying to use a ratchet on all those nuts, you'll be there a week. If you don't like this work pay the extra $100 for an assembled trailer from TSC.

One good thing about the little trailers, mine tilts on the taillights and leans on the wall of the garage taking up very little room. I purchased wheel chucks from WalMart and carry 8 tires on mine (mine and a buddy's). It trails very well, but is a bear to back up. It's so light I usually just unhook it and walk it where I want to put it.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:53 PM
TravisD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cbntmn
Is that the 4x6 trailer that Tractor supply has? it looks like it tilts on their website. If thats the one I think ill pick it up. Got a buddy with a welder and I think I have a plan for a removable tire rack. Ill post some pics when its done
Assuming you're referring to mine, then yes. It does have a Tilt feature, which I've never used. Basically the hitch tongue can pivot back near the axle -- a pin keeps in in place for normal operation. It's there if you're loading a tractor or something on it, or dumping a load off.

The "tire rack" in my case is a single piece if angle iron held on with two bolts. If you're thinking of going up any more with a fancier rack, keep in mind that even with the current configuration it's limiting vision. Any higher and the rear-view mirror gets completely useless. I'm starting to consider getting some of those trucker-style light poles that they mount on bumpers to put on the back corner of the trailer to make it more visible and maybe make it a little easier to back up.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:55 PM
sefa01
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Default Trailer Hitch for C6 Z06???

Originally Posted by Dolfan
OK,

I'm getting ready put a tire trailer together for towing behing the Z06 to AutoX and track events. I have fond these two trailers and I think one looks far better, curious if folks have used this one over the other.

Trailer 1

Trailer 2

It looks hands down like trailer 1 is beter built and offers more for $20 more? It is a bit heavier but I don't that that matters.

What do you think?
Either one of these trailers would work for me. But I don't think there is a trailer hitch yet for the C6 z06? Am I wrong?
Old 01-16-2006, 12:06 AM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

Not sure about that, I didn't know that there was a difference in hitches for the standard C5 and Z06. I'll have to check it out. Anyone know?

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Trailer choice?

Old 01-16-2006, 03:26 PM
sefa01
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Default Hitch Is For C6 Z06

Originally Posted by Dolfan
Not sure about that, I didn't know that there was a difference in hitches for the standard C5 and Z06. I'll have to check it out. Anyone know?
May have confused you. Trailer hitch is for the C6 Z06, not the C5.

So I ask again, does anyone know of a trailer hitch for the C6 Z06?
Old 01-16-2006, 10:53 PM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

OK, you did have me going. I assume the C5 hitch is generic, haven't heard anything about a C6 hitch.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:14 PM
sefa01
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Default SOL For Now on the C6 Z06

spoke to Tony at Hitch-Web since it shows 2 hitches specifically for the C6 Z06 (Dalan and Curt). I had just gotten an e-mail back from the technical guy at Curt, who told me Curt doesn't make a hitch that will fit the C6 Z06. Turns out that Hitch-Web is pulling this off their site. They want someone to TRY the regular C6 hitch, but they don't think it will work. Tony did say if there was someone in the Los Angeles area who wanted one, they would try to install it or custom fit it. His number is 800-300-4067 ext. 706.

It's possible that the Curt/Dalan (they're actually the same hitch) could be modified. But I don't know of anyone in New Jersey that could do this. If anyone does know such a person, please let me know.

Bottom line: We'll have to wait for someone to manufacture a hitch for the C6 Z06.

Quick Reply: Tire Trailer choice?