C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint opinions: I need help convincing my hubby!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 07:25 PM
Jamie Slick
Team Owner

Location: "The people you choose to surround yourself with define who you are..."
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Default Paint opinions: I need help convincing my hubby!

Hi everyone!

I don't post much on C3, but I need your help/opinions. My husband (forum name TNBusa) has his 70 vette at the paint shop right now. It is (was) an all numbers matching LS5 454 coupe.

He took out the original engine and is building a 540 something, something, something, (whatever) for it. He is replacing the 4 speed tranny with a keisler 5 speed. He put a custom made L88 4" hood on it. Long story short.....it's not exactly going to be stock any more, but he could always put it back original......which would maintain the value of the car.

The original color on the car is classic white. I personally like white, but he has in his head that he wants steel city grey or some other charcoal type color. I think he should, in the interest of maintaining the value of the car, since he can put it back to original stock condition, keep the color white.

What do you guys/gals think?

Here are some pics to help you with your decision:

Getting loaded to go to the paint shop:

front suspension (yes, he is ****):

rear suspension (he's still ****):

the 540 whatever, whatever engine:

So.....help me out here. It should stay white shouldn't it? I want to be able to tell him that the C3 forum folks agree with me!
Old 01-04-2006, 07:31 PM
694speed350
Race Director

Received 119 Likes on 67 Posts

resale red or black. it can always be taken back to white.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:31 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

He took out the original engine and is building a 540 something, something, something, (whatever)

Between a choice of white and gray or charcoal, I pick white. That's a tall hood he's got for that 540 something.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:42 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i like white
Old 01-04-2006, 07:54 PM
0Corvette Engineering
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think resale value is a moot point now!
Old 01-04-2006, 08:05 PM
renowa
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Color debate

What I see in the pictures, is not just evidence of **** tendencies, but the hard work and eye for detail of someone building something for himself. Value is considered only if the car is for an investment, to when finished, be sold for profit. One thing I do know, is building the perfect vette is never profitable. Also, paint is a temporary phase, I've painted mine twice since I've owned it, and will probably paint it again someday. I don't think anyone is going to consider the original color except your grandchildren when they inherit.

Enjoy the Vette.
Bill
Old 01-04-2006, 08:10 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

What about Black!!!
Old 01-04-2006, 08:14 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 527 Likes on 356 Posts

The suspension has also been heavily modified. Vette Brakes front and rear.

Is he ever going to really be serious about selling it? My gut feeling is no.

Personally, I think a nice steel cities gray would be good.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:17 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Old 01-04-2006, 08:22 PM
Jamie Slick
Team Owner

Location: "The people you choose to surround yourself with define who you are..."
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

okay, okay........you guys win!

Actually, I'm just giving him a hard time! He has worked really hard on the car, and deserves for it to be exactly the way he wants it to be. (Don't tell him I said that! ) To be honest, I hope he never sells the car. He has put so much work into it, I think he would regret it.

His track record, though.......when he finishes a project, he gets bored, sells, and starts another one.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:23 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A matching numbers big-block will always bring good money if the original parts are retained. I bet he will enjoy the color he chooses for many years. If done properly I don't believe the value will be diminished much, if any.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:24 PM
Jamie Slick
Team Owner

Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by Eddie 70

thanks Eddie! I'm going to tell Gerry on you!!
Old 01-04-2006, 08:24 PM
TOM B1
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

He done a lot of work to that car, I see lots of parts that are not original but are better than the factory had in the 70's. did you ever watch the Berrit- Jackson auctions, A lot of modified (Not original at all) cars go for more that if the car was stock! and im talking BIG bucks. Why how could that be you ask, Well people with money look for a car that is old or classic but dont want the hassle of constant repairs, poor drivability and so on, so they look for a classic with mods and updated suspensions and drive lines and they pay big cash for it. Seeing the pic tells me your husband has a boatload of skills so
To answer your question: let him paint it the color he wants even if you dont like it to much or the car might never get finished because of a color spat, then you both will get old and the car will still be in the garage. does he argue about what color to paint the house! sorry had to add that.

Last edited by TOM B1; 01-04-2006 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:27 PM
Jamie Slick
Team Owner

Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by TOM B1
He don a lot of work to that car, I see lots of parts that are nor original but are better than the factory had in the 70's. did you ever watch the Berrit- Jackson auctions, A lot of modified (Not original at all) cars go for more that if the car was stock! and im talking BIG bucks. Why how could that be you ask, Well people with money look for a car that is old or classic but dont want the hassle of constant repairs, poor drivability and so on, so they look for a classic with mods and updated suspensions and drive lines and they pay big cash for it.
To answer your question: let him paint it the color he wants even if you dont like it to much or the car might never get finished because of a color spat, then you both will get old and the car will still be in the garage. does he argue about what color to paint the house! sorry had to add that. :cheers:
ouch!!

Actually, he has been supportive when I've had all of my toys (motorcycles, miatas, four wheeler) painted my color of choice......YELLOW!

hmmmm.......how about a millenium yellow C3?
Old 01-04-2006, 08:29 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Blue88Vert

okay, okay........you guys win!

Actually, I'm just giving him a hard time! He has worked really hard on the car, and deserves for it to be exactly the way he wants it to be. (Don't tell him I said that! ) To be honest, I hope he never sells the car. He has put so much work into it, I think he would regret it.

would you be willing to speak to my wife?
Old 01-04-2006, 08:50 PM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

I wrestled with this issue back when I first started project RamJet. After much second guessing and musing I came to the conclusion it doesn't make much difference from a monetary viewpoint, so build it like you want it and enjoy. Let's face it, a recently restored cherry stock 1970 LS5 coupe's top value is what?? $30k to $40k tops and you better not drive it if you want it to stay at that value. Maybe someday it will be worth the $150k you see some rare models getting at Barrett Jackson, but I doubt it...... not in my life time at least

So, instead, I took the money it would have taken to do a NCRS type total restoration and spent it on things like:

RamJet 502 crate motor with fuel Injection
New aluminium radiator with dual Spal fans
Tremec TKO 500
Steeriods
composite rear spring
New paint the color I wanted
17" Torque Thrust II wheels
Late model Stereo (future addition)
yet to be determined chassis mods????

I now plan to enjoy and use it as my corvette trip car driving to any of the Corvette functions I would otherwise drive a new C5 or C6 too.
Yes, I saved all the original parts, but for what I am not sure. Would I sell the car for $30k to $50k?????........hell no Just my opinion

Don't hesitate to chime in here with all your opinions, I'm sure TNBusa will need our support

Bullshark

Old 01-04-2006, 09:03 PM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Originally Posted by Eddie 70
Hey Eddie, that last one looks familiar

Bullshark

Get notified of new replies

To Paint opinions: I need help convincing my hubby!

Old 01-04-2006, 09:03 PM
Daytona69
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If he wants to go with a gray how about Laguna Gray? It was a 1970 only color and looks amazing...here's a pic of the one I sold

Old 01-04-2006, 09:23 PM
pcfred
Safety Car

Received 141 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

From the looks of the pics of the work he's done already, the car will carry plenty of value for a long time. Forget the numbers matching crap at this point, let him paint it the color he want's, if you persuade him to go with white he's ALWAYS gonna think of the color he really wanted. Besides, the grey color will look very good, in my opinion better than the white. He's done a top class job on the car, let him complete it. If he gets bored don't let him sell it, but encourage him to buy another project, he'll thank you later.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:39 PM
texaswilkins
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Paint it whatever color the person paying for the paint wants. I like the idea of Yellow to match everything else. If you can't have Yellow then gray would be a very good second choice.

Bill

Quick Reply: Paint opinions: I need help convincing my hubby!