C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c5 Audio Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 05:26 PM
SeaWeasel
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c5 Audio Question

I am the proud new owner of a 2003 z06 (which is garage bound due to 6" of snow . . . ). I want to add both an iPod interface and a amplifier for a single subwoofer while retaining my stock head unit and Bose speakers. In looking at the "interface" discussions on the board, I note usually one or the other but not both. Can someone point me in the right direction here? Part number, supplier, anything? Thanks.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:40 PM
MRG99V
Intermediate

Go to mp3yourcar.com and they have an adaptor you plug into your cd changer connection and then plug in your ipod and you can use the factory radio/cd controls to work your ipod. It sounds great!
Old 12-07-2005, 08:58 PM
LotusFan
Instructor

Kinda 'spensive...$189 for a $50 adapter....might as well get a new MP3 head unit or changer?

I haven't even bought my iPod yet...
Old 12-07-2005, 09:34 PM
SeaWeasel
Advanced

$200 seems to be the market price for a powered adapter. It looks to me like the iPod controllers all plug into the AUX port (which would be for the cd changer on a regular c5 presumably) and the converters that allow for rcas and remote power, etc. all plug in between the main harness and the speakers / Bose amps. So, it seems that my solution is available, just not under one roof- so to speak.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:41 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

http://www.pac-audio.com/products/pr...uxiliary+Input

(near bottom of page):
The AUX-POD gets direct sound from your iPod™ into your factory stereo. No more sound degrading FM modulator. Get clean, high quality sound playing through your factory radio. Change tracks on your iPod™ from the factory radio or steering wheel (vehicles with audio controls on steering wheel). The AUX-POD automatically turns off the iPod™ when the radio is out of AUX-mode or when vehicle/radio is turned off. The iPod™ also charges the iPod™ when connected to the AUX-POD. The AUX-POD works on the iPod™ mini, 3rd and 4th generation iPods.

The PAC AUX-POD consists of an AUX-BOX Universal Auxiliary Audio Input interface and an Apple iPod™ interface connector. To use the AUX-BOX with your vehicle, you will need to order a specific vehicle harness also. Use the application guide to see if there is a harness available for your vehicle.

--------------------------

some other links I had bookmarked:

http://www.installer.com/ipod/

http://www.theistore.com/ipod2car.html

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/ele/112636822.html
Old 12-08-2005, 09:01 AM
SeaWeasel
Advanced

Thanks MM- the PAC ties into the rear CD changer harness. I don't believe I have that harness on the z06 and I can't seem to locate the "downloadable" patch information they are talking about. Of course, I want to do this project all at once and it is 1 degree here . . . it finally got below freezing in my garage overnight . . . good times . . . winter suks.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:37 PM
iamc5
Heel & Toe

I'm trying to do the same thing with my IPOD and 03Z. I have the "IPOD 2 CAR" kit and am trying to find the CD changer wires. I have not pulled the radio yet, but think all Vette's have the wires pre-installed whether you have the CD changer installed or not....at least I'm hoping. Pulling the radio looks like a pain in the butt!!

Last edited by iamc5; 12-08-2005 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:58 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Originally Posted by iamc5
I'm trying to do the same thing with my IPOD and 03Z. I have the "IPOD 2 CAR" kit and am trying to find the CD changer wires. I have not pulled the radio yet, but think all Vette's have the wires pre-installed whether you have the CD changer installed or not....at least I'm hoping. Pulling the radio looks like a pain in the butt!!
there are two sets of wires. One set goes from the radio to the passenger footwell. One of the two connectors found there is a power & ground feed; the other connector has audio and a serial data line.
All 1999 through 2004 Corvettes had these regardless of whether the factory CD changer was purchased or not.
It has been reported that 1997 and early 1998 C5's may not.

The other "set" is a harness that goes from the passenger footwell (plugs into the previously mentoned set) to the rear mount CD changer. This harness was never installed at the factory if the optional CD changer wasn't ordered.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:41 PM
2K2C5Vert
Heel & Toe

Don't want to hijack the thread, but on a related topic is there any way to connect the iPod interface to the stock stereo if you already HAVE a factory CD changer and use both (the iPod and the CD changer)? I've been looking for something to make this work, but no luck to date.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:51 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

someone here came up with a home-made solution. Using a relay, you switch away the L/R audio from the CD changer to your aux audio source. Don't switch away the serial data wire though... leave that connected to the CD changer.

this gives you an AUX audio input while still allowing the factory CD changer to function.

you can't control the AUX device though through the head unit though. All that will work on the head unit is the volume and tone controls when the relay is energized for your aux audio device.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:54 PM
2K2C5Vert
Heel & Toe

Thanks Mike, I appreciate it!!! Will give it a try.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:26 AM
barrynk
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've tried the IPOD2CAR from PeripheralElectronics, and the AUX-POD / AUX-BOX from pac-audio with no luck. I've even tried more than a couple of versions of each. For $125-$190, I'm not impressed. Some would play music, some would power on/off the iPod automatically. Some would allow some control of the iPod, although very inconsistantly. Does anybody have one of these that works fine ?

I'm still looking for a solution that works for me (I have a 2001 C5). I've tried the FM transmitter route, but the sound quality here in Raleigh is terrible.

I'm jealous of those that got the IPOD2CAR to work!
Old 12-09-2005, 09:30 AM
barrynk
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by iamc5
Pulling the radio isn't too hard, and may be required with the iPod2Car kit - I think this kit requires the GMH20T adapter cable ?

I did eventually find the CD changer wires (in the passenger footwell, near the fuse panel - they were tucked away nearly invisible). I did not have the CD changer cable running to the trunk.

I hope the IPOD2CAR works for you - I could never get it to work!
Old 12-14-2005, 02:20 AM
RainJ
Safety Car

Location: Biloxi MS Theres something happenin' here, What it is ain't exactly clear.....

I wanted to run my XM SKYFi and my iPod in the C5,
So I bought the RCA adapter box that plugs into the CD changer harness.
Works like a charm and sounds as clean and clear as a CD.

How often do you use your changer? When I want to hear a CD, I pop it in the dash head unit. Other than that, my changer was collecting dust back there.

Rain
Old 12-14-2005, 12:11 PM
harrywbb
5th Gear

Where did you get your RCA adaptor?
Old 12-14-2005, 12:25 PM
DPG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

i have the ipod2car kit with the interface box. It sounds great and it doesnt power off on me. The only thing that is goofy, is the control from teh headunit, it rarely changed songs when i try to change it from the headunit. Ive just stuck the ipod in the ashtray because its a perfect fit in there and you can just close the ashtray cover and no one knows you have ur ipod there. I have to call the company and see what they suggest to do so i can use my headunit to control the ipod.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:29 PM
RainJ
Safety Car

Location: Biloxi MS Theres something happenin' here, What it is ain't exactly clear.....

GM10-AUX interface

I did a Froogle.com search and got it a bit cheaper than eBay has it.
EBAY: Item number: 7930458207

Simply unplug the CD changer, plug this adapter into the wiring harnes, and the box provides an RCA input to your AUX/CD portion of the head unit.
Then I ran a RCA cable under the carpet to the center arm rest and plugged a RCA to Mini plug adapter in. This allows me to run XM or iPod or anyother audio thru the Vette stock head unit.

You can get it here for $70:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piegm10aux.html
Old 12-14-2005, 01:14 PM
frckid
Advanced

GM10-AUX interface
C5 Audio Experts: So do I have the cd changer wires under my passenger side carpet if I have a 99 hardtop with the bose speakers and no cd-changer? Thanks, Jon
Old 12-14-2005, 01:18 PM
RainJ
Safety Car

it connects under the pass floor kick plate/toe plate from what Im told.
There is a chance you have the cable.

if not, its only 40$

Again, there are FM transmitters that sound fine for most cases and that will save you $.

Get notified of new replies

To c5 Audio Question

Quick Reply: c5 Audio Question