Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Track results at MSR with C6-Z06 Second time out LGMotorsports

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 08:13 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Track results at MSR with C6-Z06 Second time out LGMotorsports

Hi GUys,
I will try again to impart my impressions of the new Z06 at the road racing track. I took the car out again to Texas Motorsports Ranch to validate my previous impressions of the car. Not much has changed except that I am more anxious to change the shocks now.

If there is any part of the car that needs work it is the shocks. They are just not up to the task at the track. I have 3 sets coming all valved differently. Hopefully this will settle the car down a bit.

The Stop Tech Brakes again performed flawlessly. This brake totally takes the mystery out of the brakes. Not that the stock brakes won't work but I doubt that they will work as long and as hard as the Stoptech. Pads are available and inexpensive compared to the stock pads. plus there won't be as big of an assortment of pad compounds available.

TIMES: The new time that we set at this track with a Stock C6-Z06 with our LG Pro Long Tube Headers is now a 1:20.8
I am going to order a set of Hoosiers and try to get into the 18's if it is possible. I am sure that we can get into the 19s with a set of Hoosiers but they should be worth about 2 seconds over stock.

I took the World Challenge C6r race car out for some laps and got that car down to a 1:14.8 so you can see that the Stock Z is still a bit off the World Challenge race car. The Street Z has more torque and hp than the World Challenge car but the chassis of the race car is so much better it kills the Z06 at this track.

For those of you who don't know this track, it is a 1.7 mile track with a 110 mile per hour turn, a 90 mph turn and a bunch of 40 mile per hour turns. still a good place for us to test our race cars.

Any comments are welcomed. hopefully this information will help you all.

PS there was a GT3 cup car Porsche that was having a hard time keeping up but when he was alone it was about 4 seconds faster than the Z06. (But still 2 seconds slower than our World Challenge Corvette.)

Thanks
Lou Gigliotti
LGM

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...no_compare.jpg

LGM http://www.LGMotorsports.com
Winner Daytona 250
22 WC Wins

"Most powerful Corvette headers on the planet"

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 11-18-2005 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:19 PM
BlaznZ06
Race Director

Received 755 Likes on 306 Posts

Lou

Are you going to go out any time next week? With the shock Change?

Last edited by BlaznZ06; 11-18-2005 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:21 PM
Victor H
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Lou,
What is it about the stock shocks that are deficient? Is it mid-corner bumps? Some of the car mag reviews have noted some unsettled behavior in mid turn if the surface is irregular.
Also, if you change the shocks does that have any effect on the different performance settings street, competition etc or is that just for traction control?
Old 11-18-2005, 08:35 PM
666 Z06
Racer

Did you get a chance to try your Toyos on the street car? I need to know if my track wheels will need tire pressure sensors installed.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:04 PM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by BlaznZ06
Lou

Are you going to go out any time next week? With the shock Change?

If we get the shocks in time they will be on the car for next week.

we are probably going out again next week if the shocks come in.

The car does not settle down. The front lifts up too much on corner exit, and under braking and transition there is too much time waiting for the car to stabilize.

You can not put the power down if the car is still "wobbling" around.

DOn't get me wrong, the car is great for a street car, but when it is pushed on the track, it is really lacking when asked to exceed what the street can throw at it.

Thanks
Lou G
Old 11-18-2005, 09:07 PM
tx tuna
Instructor

I bet if there was a Ferrari or Viper on the track you would have been quicker!

Old 11-18-2005, 09:08 PM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by 666 Z06
Did you get a chance to try your Toyos on the street car? I need to know if my track wheels will need tire pressure sensors installed.

There was a new 06-C6 out there with Hoosier tires and new wheels with his original tire pressure sensors installed. He could not get the car to turn off active handling.

The car was ok and ran but it could NOT turn off the active handling, so he parked it. He is going to the dealer tomorrow morning to have them do a relearn on his sensors. Then he should be ok. I think that is the key. We will have to have each set of tires with tire pressure sensors installed, then do a re learn.

Hope that helps.

LG
Old 11-18-2005, 10:27 PM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by tx tuna
I bet if there was a Ferrari or Viper on the track you would have been quicker!

Viper, Yes,
depends on which Ferrari

LG
Old 11-18-2005, 11:24 PM
robbin
Advanced

How would you compare the track performance (including balance etc.) of the z06 vs. porsche gt2?
Old 11-18-2005, 11:28 PM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by robbin
How would you compare the track performance (including balance etc.) of the z06 vs. porsche gt2?
There was a Porsche Gt3 cup car there. he was faster then the Z06 when he was alone, but we could stay ahead of him.

That car has wings and down force so he was faster in some of the corners but we could keep up and pull him coming out of the medium corners. overall, that car with racing tires on it, was about 4 seconds faster than the Z06.

But he can't drive to and from the track with that car, since it was a race car with no interior.
thanks

Lou G
Old 11-19-2005, 05:24 PM
LG Motorsports

In addition, the stock tires on the Z06 are not up to the task for full out driving.

I am going to try to get some good tires ordered Monday.

Thanks
Lou G
Old 11-19-2005, 09:59 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
Hi GUys,
I will try again to impart my impressions of the new Z06 at the road racing track. I took the car out again to Texas Motorsports Ranch to validate my previous impressions of the car. Not much has changed except that I am more anxious to change the shocks now.

If there is any part of the car that needs work it is the shocks. They are just not up to the task at the track. I have 3 sets coming all valved differently. Hopefully this will settle the car down a bit.

The Stop Tech Brakes again performed flawlessly. This brake totally takes the mystery out of the brakes. Not that the stock brakes won't work but I doubt that they will work as long and as hard as the Stoptech. Pads are available and inexpensive compared to the stock pads. plus there won't be as big of an assortment of pad compounds available.

TIMES: The new time that we set at this track with a Stock C6-Z06 with our LG Pro Long Tube Headers is now a 1:20.8
I am going to order a set of Hoosiers and try to get into the 18's if it is possible. I am sure that we can get into the 19s with a set of Hoosiers but they should be worth about 2 seconds over stock.

I took the World Challenge C6r race car out for some laps and got that car down to a 1:14.8 so you can see that the Stock Z is still a bit off the World Challenge race car. The Street Z has more torque and hp than the World Challenge car but the chassis of the race car is so much better it kills the Z06 at this track.

For those of you who don't know this track, it is a 1.7 mile track with a 110 mile per hour turn, a 90 mph turn and a bunch of 40 mile per hour turns. still a good place for us to test our race cars.

Any comments are welcomed. hopefully this information will help you all.

PS there was a GT3 cup car Porsche that was having a hard time keeping up but when he was alone it was about 4 seconds faster than the Z06. (But still 2 seconds slower than our World Challenge Corvette.)

Thanks
Lou Gigliotti
LGM
Holy Crap! It gets even better. Within 6 seconds of a World Class Corvette Challenge Vette! Keep up the good work Lou, it helps us all and should save some valuable lessons on the street to see the car pushed to the limit on the track.

I was looking at the body specs of the C6Z06 today, and it is almost identical to the Viper. The height, width, and length of the car are so close as not to be coincidental. The big difference is the weight difference, with the C6 getting the diet plan. The Viper is sporting bigger meats in the back.

Have you thought of getting 335s on the Z? Maybe some lighter wheels would be more effective than shocks?

We are ready for tires with only 4,000 miles on our car. Wasn't Me!

Inquiring minds want to know.

Last edited by Halltech; 11-19-2005 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:40 AM
rmitchell242
Melting Slicks

aweseome
Old 11-20-2005, 06:55 AM
mav21386
Racer

There was a Porsche Gt3 cup car there. he was faster then the Z06 when he was alone, but we could stay ahead of him.

That car has wings and down force so he was faster in some of the corners but we could keep up and pull him coming out of the medium corners. overall, that car with racing tires on it, was about 4 seconds faster than the Z06.

But he can't drive to and from the track with that car, since it was a race car with no interior.
thanks

Lou G
was it just a reg 997 cup car or a 996 GT3 Cup from a few years ago?
Old 11-20-2005, 08:17 AM
vetterlatethannever
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quit abusing my car!!!!!

Lou, Lou, Lou!!!! Great results at the track

That World Challenge car of yours must be a beast!!! What does that car top out at? I ask because I would kill to see the times you would run with that bad boy at THE 'ring

And I still say that was a clean pass on your last race
Old 11-20-2005, 09:58 AM
rfopt
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm curious, how is the performance of the shocks when driving the C6 Z06 on the track compared to the performance of the shocks on C5 Z06s when those cars are driven on the track, particularly 04 Z06 shocks?
Old 11-20-2005, 10:16 AM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by mav21386
was it just a reg 997 cup car or a 996 GT3 Cup from a few years ago?

I am not sure. It was just like the car that Wolf Henzler drove this year in the World Challenge series. It had a GT3 logo machined out of the wing mounts. It had a cage and no interior so it might have been a Porsche cup car.

The World Challenge version of the Cup car is the same thing with the World Challenge upgrade to the engine. A 60 hp upgrade.

Get notified of new replies

To Track results at MSR with C6-Z06 Second time out LGMotorsports

Old 11-20-2005, 10:24 AM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by rfopt
I'm curious, how is the performance of the shocks when driving the C6 Z06 on the track compared to the performance of the shocks on C5 Z06s when those cars are driven on the track, particularly 04 Z06 shocks?
I have never driven on the 04 Z06 shocks, so I can't tell you how they compare. As far as the C5 Z06, we also felt that the shocks were geared more toward street than track, which is understandable.

That is what made us build out Coil Over package using real racing shocks. We use a non externally adjustable bilstein but we can revalve them since they are "take apart shocks".

Jim,
I called the local Hoosier dealer (Bobby Archer, can you imagine that) and he is sending a set of 335/30x18 rears and a set of 305/30x18 fronts over to me next week.

So Next week, I can see what will happen with some good tires. They won't be brand new, since I am trying a set of take offs first to check things out.

Should be interesting. I am fairly sure that the car will break into the 19s and might even be in the 18s. But an 18 is asking alot from a stock car out there. The fastest street car ever out there was some Porsche turbo at a 19 and change with slicks.

Thanks
Lou G
Old 11-20-2005, 11:14 AM
Today's problem is..
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Lou, I was out with the BMW crew at MSR and it was a lot of fun to watch you run around in the Z06 and to get to see your race cars up close. Good luck getting it down into the teens, it looks like it is very doable with minor mods.

--Chris
Old 11-20-2005, 11:45 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

There was a new 06-C6 out there with Hoosier tires and new wheels with his original tire pressure sensors installed. He could not get the car to turn off active handling.

The car was ok and ran but it could NOT turn off the active handling, so he parked it. He is going to the dealer tomorrow morning to have them do a relearn on his sensors. Then he should be ok. I think that is the key. We will have to have each set of tires with tire pressure sensors installed, then do a re learn.

Hope that helps.

LG
From some previous posts;

You noted a wheel and tire change, if the new combination doesn't have the same front to rear stagger the computer is confused.

The A/H problem could be from front tire diameter/ rear tire diameter. If the front to rear difference varies from stock the computer reads the difference as slip or braking and tries to brake the wheels that are turning faster than anticipated. It may be that if the computer sees the front wheels as turning faster than the parameters of the programing it defaults and won't turn off to "protect" the car.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Track results at MSR with C6-Z06 Second time out LGMotorsports