C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Outside Mirror Repair?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 06:07 PM
carmutt1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Outside Mirror Repair?

My driver side outside mirror is very loose at the swivel point. Unless I only drive 30mph or less(which of course is no fun!) the wind basically pushes the mirror to the ground. Is there any way to "firm" it up in the ball and socket joint area? I cannot even see a way to get in there.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:18 PM
Cobra66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn, the Forum is infuriatingly slow this evening!!

I had the same "limp mirror disfunction" problem on my '64 coupe. While a bit sloppy if not applied carefully, I found that after adjusting the mirror to my preferred position, a few judiciously applied drops of Lock Tite on the swivel point/ball did the trick. Just be sure to crawl out the passenger side door so you don't shake the driver's-side mirror out of position when closing the door (or just be very careful and don't slam it!)

Of course, adjusting the mirror from your preferred position a few times after the Lock Tite dries may wear away its stabilizing affect. But, as no one but me drives this car, it never is moved so the mirror has stayed in position for several months now.

I'm sure that were the NCRS folks to spot such a "bubba" solution, they would vomit in disgust (hopefully, not on my car) , but as numerous components on my Vette are non-stock/non-original, I really couldn't care if I offend their sensibilities!
Old 11-14-2005, 07:19 PM
Cobra66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn, the Forum is infuriatingly slow this evening!!

I had the same "limp mirror disfunction" problem on my '64 coupe. While a bit sloppy if not applied carefully, I found that after adjusting the mirror to my preferred position, a few judiciously applied drops of Lock Tite on the swivel point/ball did the trick. Just be sure to crawl out the passenger side door so you don't shake the driver's-side mirror out of position when closing the door (or just be very careful and don't slam it!)

Of course, adjusting the mirror from your preferred position a few times after the Lock Tite dries may wear away its stabilizing affect. But, as no one but me drives this car, it never is moved so the mirror has stayed in position for several months now.

I'm sure that were the NCRS folks to spot such a "bubba" solution, they would vomit in disgust (hopefully, not on my car) , but as numerous components on my Vette are non-stock/non-original, I really couldn't care if I offend their sensibilities!
Old 11-14-2005, 07:39 PM
MidYearRoadster
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Default mirror

porbably best to remove mirror from car, allen wrench..on base of mirror. then
look at the glass around the edge, you should see a split ring, take fine needle nose pliers and pull the end of the split ring out and off ..becareful the mirror doesnt fall out...remove mirror. see inside guts. a metal ban which goes over the pivot ball.. and is riveted to two posts...gently hit the rivets with a small hammer ..now of course you have the mirror assembly laying down flat on a nice soft cloth as to not scratch the chrome....anyway...hit the rivets and then check the looseness ...it may need a few more light taps...do not hammer this sucker...just light taps until you get the resistance you want. then put mirror back in place and slip the split ring back into place...be carefull doing all this..take your time...it beat having to buy a new mirror assembly.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:05 AM
carmutt1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks MidYear,

It worked just like you said it would! Now I will know how to do it in case I didn't get it tight enough.

Get notified of new replies

To Outside Mirror Repair?

Quick Reply: Outside Mirror Repair?