Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Bird Droppings

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 08:22 AM
VinnieR
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Austin, Texas 2005 National Champs in Football and Baseball.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bird Droppings

Yesterday I got hit with about 6 bird droppings that landed on the near perfect finish of my 03 Anniversary. I got them washed off within about 2 hours, but they have left a discoloration on the finish. I've tried a non-abrasive pre sealant cleaner on the spots, but not much is happening. I only recently got the car and do not know what type of sealant/wax/nothing was on the finish. My plan was to seal it this weekend, but now I want to wait until I solve this bird dropping problem.

The guys at AutoGeek, whose Wolfgang products I've been using, suggested Scratch X, which is slightly abrasive, followed by sealant. This car has only 3400 miles and has always been garaged, so I'm concerned about using an abrasive on the clear coat.Except for the freakin' bird drops the finish is flawless--no swirls or water spots, etc.

Anybody tried Scratch X for bird droppings? Was there some other technique that worked better for you? Im looking to do something by hand as I am not experienced with power buffers. I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:43 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I do not like ScratchX at all, very mild (too mild) and contains alot of oils, it is more of a swirl hider than remover IMHO. I would go with Zaino Fusion or Menzerna FPII (IP if the FPII does not remove it). If you need to purchase it locally go with 3m 39009 and if that is not strong enough go with 39002. ALL of the products I mentioned are stronger than ScratchX. Poorboys 2.5 and 1 are also good choices.

If it is etched real bad you may need to lightly wet sand with some 3000 and then re polish with one of the above products, this is only for severe situations of course
Old 11-12-2005, 10:58 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

ScratchX is not a bad product for small areas and hand polishing. Trust me you will never remove all your clearcoat or damage anything. That said 3M is not bad and also available locally but more abrasive. I would be happy to send you a sample of Optimums polish, but you wont have it until sometime next week.

Quick ScratchX story : wiped out on a motor scooter in the Keys. I drove to local Autoparts store and it was this or the old Megs paint cleaner (red bottle). I went to town on the scooter with it and a shop rag (sorry no microfibers at that store) and it looked like a brand new scooter. When I returned it later, they told me I only needed to fill the tank not wash the scooter, but it sure looked nice. Needless to say it worked in a pinch, and I got my deposit back to boot !!
Old 11-12-2005, 02:03 PM
58Vette65
Burning Brakes

I have used ScratchX in the past also and it is not on the top of my list but it does work well. I'm currently using the Poorboy 2.5 and 1.0 and like them a little better and next on my list to try is Optimum polish. On black I have been using VM and RMG with excellent success but they do contain fillers/oils and don't work well with some sealants. I had a sample of Fusion and thought ScratchX did a better job, Fusion left a haze that I had to clean up with Poorboy 1.0.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:46 PM
69er
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 58Vette65
I, Fusion left a haze that I had to clean up with Poorboy 1.0.
Of course it did.
It's a Zaino product and we know how much you dislike Zaino.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:33 PM
VinnieR
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

So, the only product I found locally was Scratch X. It certainly isn't agressive and I like that. I have applied it to the bird stains about 10 times and some of them have disappeared entirely and a couple of them I will reapply a few more times before the freakin' bird stains are gone. I'd much rather have a conservative product that I can work carefully than something which is so tough that I can't control it.

I appreciate all the help. Autogeek, you guys are great. To recommend products that you don't sell is really first class and shows me that you would rather make a few sales than pretend that good products don't exist locally. I'll continue to send you my business.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:47 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by VinnieR
I appreciate all the help. Autogeek, you guys are great. To recommend products that you don't sell is really first class and shows me that you would rather make a few sales than pretend that good products don't exist locally. I'll continue to send you my business.

Actually we do also sell the entire Meg's line, and thus ScratchX. We do however understand that sometimes you need something now, or locally and try to recommend something that can actually be found. It might not be anyone's go to product if choices were available ... but it works in a pinch, and glad its working on those marks.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:59 PM
VinnieR
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

A couple of those bird stains are stubbornly holding on to their spot on my hood. With each application of Scratch X they get lighter and lighter, but I'm concerned I may be working on them for the rest of my natural life.

No one carries Poorboys stuff here, so I can't try either the 1 or the 2.5 that 58Vette65 mentioned. In fact, I can't find anyone locally carrying the 3M line or Menzerna that Agentf1 likes.Mostly the auto stores carry Eagle One, Mothers, Meguairs, and other sort of consumer (vice hobbiest) level stuff. It may be good stuff, but it is hard to tell from the lables. Everything is labled "clear coat safe". If they sold 60 grit sandpaper, I'm sure it would be labled "clear coat safe".

What would be the next stronger solution beyond Scrath X that would still not cut into the clear coat? Like to find it locally, but if I have to order it, so be it. I need to send for some stuff anyway.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:26 AM
Kevin V
Pro

ALL abrasives cut into the clear coat.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:20 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I like Mezerna FP II as a polish.
However if you use a good paint sealant ( pick your favorite from among Klasse, Rejex, Zaino) bird dropping will be much less of an issue.
I use Rejex and bird droppings are no issue if cleaned the same day...
Old 11-15-2005, 10:10 AM
58Vette65
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 69er
Of course it did.
It's a Zaino product and we know how much you dislike Zaino.

So here is another quote about the haze from Fusion -- I guess you are saying this guy also dislikes Zanio because he is seeing the hazing also?????? Seems there is others that is seeing the same thing.

Originally Posted by agentf1
Z2 or Z5 will make the surface look perfect and super deep black. It is a very faint blue haze that most people without a trained eye would probably not see especially if you are not in the right light. Most polishes contain alot of oils which will hide this look but with them you need to do a 50/50 alchohol wipe to see your progress and before you apply your sealant so it will adhere properly. You will also get a blueish haze if you do not work your/any polish all the way but that is alot more noticable. It took me a little bit to get used to it the first time I used it but now that I know what to expect I like it alot better knowing I don't have to keep wiping the surface to see my progress. When the scratch I am working on is gone I know it will not eventually return after a few washes when the oils and fillers wash away.

Wrong, either Z2 or Z5 will make your surface super black, the haze is very faint, not like when you do not work your polish enough. If Z2 does not make the surface perfect you probably did not work it long enough.

Basically the paint should look just like any other polish after you do your alchohol wipe.
From this thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ghlight=fusion
Old 11-15-2005, 10:46 AM
0Zaino Bros (Sal)
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-08-'09

Dark color surfaces especialy black can sometimes leave you with a slightly hazy or milky surface after using Z-PC. Z-PC Fusion is water-based and does not have any fillers or oils in it. As soon as you apply your ZFX enabled Z2 or Z5 this milky look will go away leaving a perfect crisp clear shiny BLACK black scratch free finish.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:50 AM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'08-'09-'10-'13-'14

Originally Posted by 58Vette65
So here is another quote about the haze from Fusion -- I guess you are saying this guy also dislikes Zanio because he is seeing the hazing also?????? Seems there is others that is seeing the same thing.
It's ashame that you feel it necessary to post numerous times about your dislike for Zaino. Why not have some class and just use what you like and stop trashing the things you don't.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:03 PM
58Vette65
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Crusher
It's ashame that you feel it necessary to post numerous times about your dislike for Zaino. Why not have some class and just use what you like and stop trashing the things you don't.

So I try a sample of the product a few months ago and just now comment about seeing a haze and even Sal himself confirms what I was seeing is infact a hazy. So a honest and might I say a true eval of a product is "NO CLASS AND BASHING". Seems like you might have it backwards. Remember this is America!
Old 11-15-2005, 12:14 PM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'08-'09-'10-'13-'14

You posted about the haze as it was a bad thing to take yet another shot at Zaino. Obvious to anyone. But Sal then explained that.

Your dislike for Zaino is well documented here on this forum. Anyone who spends anytime here knows that. My opinion is that you really don't have much respect here because of your obvious vendetta against Zaino for what appears to me to be personally motivated. You know the cry wolf syndrom....give it a break, it's old already.........

Reply in any mannor you chose fitting. You can have the last word. I said all that I feel I needed to say.

Last edited by Crusher; 11-15-2005 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:29 PM
58Vette65
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Crusher
You posted about the haze as it was a bad thing to take yet another shot at Zaino. Obvious to anyone. But Sal then explained that.

Your dislike for Zaino is well documented here on this forum. Anyone who spends anytime here knows that. My opinion is that you really don't have much respect here because of your obvious vendetta against Zaino for what appears to me to be personally motivated. You know the cry wolf syndrom....give it a break, it's old already.........

Reply in any mannor you chose fitting. You can have the last word. I said all that I feel I needed to say.
By the PM's I got I think you might have that backwards also. You need to got back to some of threads and re-read your post and attacks on creditability of other users like in the glare and other lot of other theards.

Here is my review on Zanio http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...m_id=10&arch=1 which in no way bashs Zanio. It is well know that I think Souverain looks better than Zanio and I have stated that many time. But if you read the fourms you would also know that I own 6 cars -- currently Two have Z2Pro -- Two have Souverian; -- One has UUP and one has combo of RMG and YMG. I state things as I see them and please show me my threads showing my "vendetta against Zaino for what appears to me to be personally motivated".
Old 11-19-2005, 03:02 PM
C5-BRUCE
Racer

I was hit in a similar fashion, we named the bird Fat Henry as he likely was just leaving a Mexican restaurant on a full stomach . The residue is acidic and easily and intrude into the clear coat.

You'll need to use a product that is slightly abrasive, sorry about that. The problem with using hand-applied products is the user often applies to much pressure to the affected area. I speak from experience!

Your best bet is to use a random orbital buffer (Porter-Cable is best) with a foam pad, combined with a fine buffing product. I've found 3M to be excellent. First would be 3M's Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover, part number 39009. That should do it but if not, go to 3M's Perfect-It II Rubbing Compound - FINE CUT, part number 39002. In both cases let the buffer do the work, don't push down.

Good luck - it will all turn out just fine,
Old 11-19-2005, 08:39 PM
4get gto
Advanced

Originally Posted by C5-BRUCE
I was hit in a similar fashion, we named the bird Fat Henry as he likely was just leaving a Mexican restaurant on a full stomach .

I'm I the only one sitting here imagining what this could possibly look like ???????????

Get notified of new replies

To Bird Droppings

Quick Reply: Bird Droppings